Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PAINTED VALVE COVER PICS........

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:54 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boozshey
Switch them for black ones and sell those to me for supa cheap!

But honestly, I think Black would look better. They are going to look out of place if you are getting your aluminum tanks pc'd. It will be the only aluminum showing and kinda strange.... :/
Haha sorry man they are already promised to someone if they come off! Good point on the tanks though! I when they had a polished version, oh well.

Originally Posted by Doogie65
Black all the way and then get me those measurements
PM sent
Old 10-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kotobuki
Partial part numbers/names from the S197 Service manual, re: valve cover r&r.

4 6582 RH valve cover
5 6C519 RH valve cover bolt
6 6584 RH valve cover gasket

Cam covers? Really? Ford doesn't seem to think so. And "ignorant"? C'mon. Now, I don't know how much you know about cars (obviously not much), but underneath that cam, beyond the followers you have these things that open and close the combustion chamber in the engine allowing air and fuel (and the waste gasses of the combustion process we call exhaust) to flow through. They're called valves. They (and the rest of the parts of the valve train) need to be covered to keep the internals of your engine from getting contaminated. We use things called valve covers to do this.
"Cam covers? Really?" Um, you rode the short bus to school, didn't you? Valve covers would be the main term for persons of your intellect. Knowledge of cars means nothing here, but knowledge of engines does. You appear to know nothing about cars or engines since you refer only to overhead cam engines. Overhead cam engines use what are referred to as cam covers. Pushrod type overhead valve engines use valve covers. They are also correctly referred to as rocker box covers on overhead valve engines. (Using your ignorant analogy, that would be because they cover those little things called rockers, which transfer the movement of the pushrods through the rockers to the valves to open and close them.) Would that service manual be the one that you bought at your local auto parts store, the one with the Crayolas?
Old 10-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boozshey
Sorry I completely missed your post...

WOW AMAZING!!! Nope, you're right. I know nothing about cars along with everyone else that talks about these things in a logical sense... I also didn't realize that the CAM COVERS on the 3V SOHC dirrectly covers the CAMSHAFTs. I also didn't know that some even call "valve" covers Rocker Arm Covers or Valve Rocker Arm Covers when they are directly covering rocker arms. But wait, oh yeah, I don't know anything... Nice job....

http://www.gpfracing.com/scripts/pro...idproduct=1181
http://www.steeda.com/images/cam_covers_575.jpg <-Notice the name of the pic...
http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...id=583cPath=85

OH AND LET'S NOT FORGET HOW IGNORANT AND UNKNOWING AS FRPP THEMSELVES!!! http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9042

Incase you didn't know, ignorant is exactly what you would be. It's an educated word, I know it's big and not heard a lot and sometimes those that rode the short bus consider it to be an insult and aren't use to such words. But I insure you that it's no derogatory. It's merely a word to describe someone not knowing something.
Main Entry: ig·no·rant
Pronunciation: \ˈig-n(ə-)rənt\
Function: adjective
Date: 14th century
1 a : destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>
2 : unaware, uninformed

Maybe you should stick to the toys...
+1. Booz, I know you knew, I put that for the people who may not. The car looks great as usual by the way! Some times you can't tell `em anything at all...........
Old 10-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Yeah notice he never came back...

Thanks for the compliment... Just trying to keep up with you... Gotta a lot of parts stock piling right now for when I get home... Should be good times...
Old 10-17-2009, 10:53 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

WOW...an awful lot of debate for just posting pics of valve covers (cam covers)

I actually meant debate on the "ricer" comments anyway.....carry on guys and get it back on track....

Lets leave all the ricer comments out of this thread from here on out....thanks
Old 10-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Barricade643
1st Gear Member

Cudos....

I just cant decide on a color. The car is black and white and well....Ill snap a picture of the engine and please give me your honest opinion on a color.

Also...Do yall install these yourselves? Just a new gasket right? I havent played with Camalve covers in quite sometime...
Old 10-18-2009, 12:12 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

You don't have to replace the gasket if its not damaged.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:29 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

I painted mine gold, similar to the ones from the 60's.

I wrote up a setof instructions and posted it here:

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/ValveCover.htm
Old 08-03-2012, 01:24 PM
charger man

can anyone please tell me what airbrush paint i need to use on the valve covers??? i know that it gets super hot and that's not good for the paint, but i'm not sure what to do about it...please help thank you
Old 08-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by EagleStroker
Bingo. The only bad thing is they have pockets in them that will bubble up when you powder coat them from oil getting into them during use!
The biggest issue is when powder-coating porous materials is prep, second is specifying the correct powder.

Porous materials collect a lot of crap (technical term) sub-surface. When they hit the 400 degree oven the "crap" out-gasses and ruins the powder finish. Sometimes the damage doesn't show up until the powder peels away.

In my day (maybe 10 years ago) I was careful to specify Urethane powder for use on parts that would see any chemicals/oils/etc over it's life. I would never specify Polyester (most common) or Epoxy (least common). Polyester is not chemical resistant and Epoxy is not UV stable.
Maybe new powders have been invented in the past 10 years? IDK.
Anyone have any recent experience with specifying powders?