Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mustang Price Negotiations

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:39 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Yes, you should drive up there because you can probably strike a better deal there. If you buy it down where you are, the dealer has to make something on it for his effort, so you are paying a middle man. Also, the car will be driven down 500 miles, not trucked. Wouldn't YOU prefer to drive it down yourself instead of having some flunky having fun in your car?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:54 PM
redrocker66

You make some very good points.

I just wonder if they would give me what my truck is worth, or since they know they have a customer who just drove 500 miles, they might try to "steal" my truck from me. Things to consider, I guess.

Maybe I should just order a new one exactly the way I want it, and try to get my local dealer to match their price AND give me what I want from my trade. Might miss out on the current incentives, though (low interest rates right now).

Rod

Originally Posted by chronos
Yes, you should drive up there because you can probably strike a better deal there. If you buy it down where you are, the dealer has to make something on it for his effort, so you are paying a middle man. Also, the car will be driven down 500 miles, not trucked. Wouldn't YOU prefer to drive it down yourself instead of having some flunky having fun in your car?
Old 10-28-2009, 05:44 AM
tenwatt

RedRocker I know there is a Black GT Premium in West Virginia with brick red leather, 3.73 axle, comfort, security, and 19" machined wheels. I was having a dealer here looking in to having it transferred. ask your dealer about getting that car if nothing else it gives you leverage on a better deal on the car on their lot.

Also make sure they understand you're serious about buying but make them give you their best offer and then walk away. when they call back give your bottom line price to take it right now and stick to it.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 AM
redrocker66

Tenwatt,

Thanks for the info! Great advice!

Do you know the name of the dealership in WV? I might call them, although I really have only been looking for GTs with Automatic. I know, I know: sacrilege! But, if I get everything else I want, it comes down to making it so that it gets past the wife: she will not drive a manual, and there will be occasions where she'll have to (like when I have to take her car in for service, for example).

This combination of Black exterior, brick red interior and automatic is proving quite elusive, thus my comments about maybe just ordering one.

Thanks,

Rod

Originally Posted by tenwatt
RedRocker I know there is a Black GT Premium in West Virginia with brick red leather, 3.73 axle, comfort, security, and 19" machined wheels. I was having a dealer here looking in to having it transferred. ask your dealer about getting that car if nothing else it gives you leverage on a better deal on the car on their lot.

Also make sure they understand you're serious about buying but make them give you their best offer and then walk away. when they call back give your bottom line price to take it right now and stick to it.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Dreamer1
2nd Gear Member

Cool True Car

RedRocker,

Check this site out.. "True Car" I'm dealing with fleet, using this sites data to beat them over the head with. Should help to secure the best deal you can get.

Good luck!
Old 10-28-2009, 07:28 PM
itsokimapilot
1st Gear Member

I've said it before, agreed with Dreamer on this. I used the True car price to negotiate my GT (it was born (Built) yesterday!). I custom ordered Grabber Blue w/401 w/ grabber blue stripes, Shaker 1000, HID Headlights, 19" wheels, security, comfort pkgs and accessory pkg 1. MSRP is 36665, Invoice is 33942 I got it for 31849 no trade-in! Actual dealer cost is 30368. Had I not seen the true car price I would have easily paid 34000. After I negotiated the price I added the 3.73 rearend at MSRP price. I could have probably talked them down a little more but I was willing to pay this price. I told them what I would pay and that I'd be more than happy to go to the other local dealers to get the price I was willing to pay. Then I got up to walk away. I couldn't get to the door before they agreed and ordered my car for me. Easiest purchase I've ever had. I just hate the wait.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:52 AM
tenwatt

RedRocker,
I'd recommend going to a local dealership that has a car most similar to what you're looking for. Let them work up numbers on that car but keep saying no because it's not exactly what you're looking for. They eventually start pulling up cars with their inventory search that match your main criteria. I actually sat with the guy and watched him do it and helped find the right car. Remember at this point you've also got numbers on two different cars so you have reference if they are trying to pull something. after they gave me a bottom line price on the car I wanted I told them unless they could get it down by $XX I was going to go need to drive a Pontiac G8 GT since the deals on them are so good. They'll either say fine or they'll counter offer. If they let you go then you know they are probably pretty close to their bottom line.

they only told me that car was in WV and the window sticker we had didn't say what the dealership name was.

Last edited by tenwatt; 10-29-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:11 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

I ended up paying around $23k for my base model GT with 3.73's as the only option.

Was kind of a spur of a moment deal, actually. I bought the car on a complete whim, didn't do any research at all, kinda had been pricing mustangs on the internet for the past couple of months before I bought it, but never went to the dealership to see what I could get.

Then my car decided to start acting up, so I went to the ford dealer to see what I could do and if would be favorable to trade in or fix the issues I was having. Couple of hours later, I drove home in a new Mustang GT.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:50 AM
Cross_X
1st Gear Member

In the NorCal area, the Ford's yearly sales event is actually more interesting then I thought. They offer total of 1500$ off for a cash price and an extra 1000$ if you use the Ford Finance. That makes it easier to bring them down to the needed number, but I've been to two local places, and they are willing to give away base v6's for as low as 16800$, though I'm not sure whether it's with financing or without it, I hope it's without any. Anyway, the price itself is great, and one of those places has the same kind of reductions on all their mustangs, so it basically is a almost a 5000$ discount. The v6 Premiums are priced about 21000$(from 25000-something)
I thought it might be interesting for somebody, so I figured I'd post it.
The two places that I've checked out are Frontier Ford(Santa Clara, CA), and Serramonte Ford(Colma, CA).(no advertising intended).
I'll be getting mine in the upcoming weeks, so It's a good thing for me, as I'll save some, and it might be helpful to whoever planned to buy a stang and was waiting for a good offer.