Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
Mikeximus

Vehicle: 2010 Mustang GT
Default Upgrade to NAV system

Hey guys, this is my first post, i hope you can help me out. Im from Mexico and just bought a 2010 Black Mustang GT. Here in Mexico ford does not give you an option to upgrade to the NAV system in our Mustangs, they come with the stock radio that you already have or have seen. Im wondering if its possible to take my car to a US Ford dealer (i live pretty close to the border) and have the stock NAV system installed in my car. Is it possible? has anyone done this?

I would really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Mike
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Mikeximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Adam
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: '68 GT Fastback, '10 Premium GT

Does the factory navigation even include Mexico maps?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
robinsonda1
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Altezza

Yes it does, and Canada too!
robinsonda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
Mikeximus

Yes it does, other cars like the Expedition, Fusion etc, come with navigaton, but not the Mustang...it sucks....do you think its possible to have installed at a Ford dealership in the US?
Old 09-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
afoust50
1st Gear Member

Yes it is absolutly possible. I am in Sales at a Ford dealership in Oklahoma. We do it all the time for people and charge 2800 dollars for the install. Here might be the only issue. Is your car already equipped with Sync? B/C if not, installing Sync aftermarket is STUPID expensive and it probably wouldnt even be worth your time or money if that is the case. But any ford dealer should be able to install nav, there are also some issue with the buttons on the dash. I know the 2800 is standerd for most vehicles but I havent personally checked into a 2010 Mustang. ( I was able to order mine with Nav) I'll ask our service manager when I go into work today to get back to you, but I am sure it is possible, might just be a little more expensive. Do you already have Sync?
Comfort Package
Electronics Package
Premier Trim Package
Security Package
GT Coupe Accessory Package 5
Hood Scoop
Side Scoops
Quarter Window Louvers
Pedestal Spoiler
Decklid Face Panel

On the way -- Tune from Bama, C&L CAI, & Roush OR exhaust

afoust50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Mikeximus

Yes my car already has SYNC installed. That shouldnt be a problem. What do you mean with "some problems with the buttons?"
Old 09-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoust50 View Post
Yes it is absolutly possible. I am in Sales at a Ford dealership in Oklahoma. We do it all the time for people and charge 2800 dollars for the install. Here might be the only issue. Is your car already equipped with Sync? B/C if not, installing Sync aftermarket is STUPID expensive and it probably wouldnt even be worth your time or money if that is the case. But any ford dealer should be able to install nav, there are also some issue with the buttons on the dash. I know the 2800 is standerd for most vehicles but I havent personally checked into a 2010 Mustang. ( I was able to order mine with Nav) I'll ask our service manager when I go into work today to get back to you, but I am sure it is possible, might just be a little more expensive. Do you already have Sync?
Just remember, conversions in the past used the GAP radio architecture (the ACM and display were one big brick--very interchangeable). In the past, you'd just go from a Type 2 or Type 5 to a Type 3 NAV-capable modular unit. The new ones are non-modular and disassociated (front EFP separate from LCD, separate from ACM). It's not a GAP Type 6 ACM, even though it LOOKS the same on-screen. And the one you're replacing is a CID Type I. You'd need a whole new bezel, EFP, screen, and ACM. Not to mention the module that NAV lives on (looks like the SYNC module, separate from the ACM), and the wiring harness changes you'll have to make. Not to be the bringer of doom, but you're probably looking at more than $2800. It's NOT the same as previous vehicles, even those with Next-Generation Navigation. Whole different hardware setup. It first changed for MY2009 MKS, F-150, and Flex. Those were the first vehicles to have the new hardware setup. If the $2800 has been validated with one of those vehicles, then cool. Otherwise, double check--it may be a lot more work than you think. We might be talking about the 'Stupid expensive' level, like to retrofit SYNC. It's likely to be similar labor, with more expensive parts.

Sorry for the run-on paragraph there.
FordEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
robinsonda1
2nd Gear Member

Hey Ford Engineer, speaking of this I was wondering why the Nav system can't cover other places such as europe etc. I know that many Nav systems cover only North America etc. but there are some out there that can be made to cover different geographic regions such as Volvo/Bmw with a different disc or HD download. This would be a great option for us military guys.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head... it's the onboard maps (or lack thereof). The good news, you can get updated maps. The bad news, it's only for North America. I'm not sure why, but I'd guess something to do with licensing agreements.

Now, even though (really awesome) engineers at Ford design what you see on the screen in terms of maps, layouts, and interfaces, the data itself comes from Navteq (well, your location comes from your car's GPSM module, but the mapping data that your GPS data is overlayed on comes from Navteq). You can get updates right from Navteq for your vehicle via http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...WhDruZdYuNCql?

But it's only for North America. If you were to CALL Navteq, you might be able to get their European maps, but I take no responsibility for whether that works or not. Now, since you mention Volvo BMW can do it, and since Volvo and BMW also gets their integrated-nav map data from Navteq... (picking up what I'm laying down?)

In any case, I hope it's a lead that you find useful.
FordEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
robinsonda1
2nd Gear Member

I get what you're saying and that would be awesome if it works. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:07 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2008, 2010, dealer, ford, gt, install, installed, installing, mustang, nav, navi, navteq, nextgen, retrofit, sync, system, upgrade