Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

procharger question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 12:16 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Default procharger question...

please forgive my ignorance as i dont really know much about superchargers, i'm new to all of this.

Do all centrifugal superchargers require you to cap off your PCV hose from the crankcase to the intake? Procharger supplied two caps with my kit. One is for the driver's side valve cover and the other is for the connection on the intake.

i kinda figured that the crankcase needed to breathe but what do i know? i figured i could put an open filter on the valve cover instead of the cap but wouldnt it blow oil everywhere once the pressure started building up in the crankcase?

any suggestions???
Old 09-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Sp3kter
1st Gear Member

I sugges getting a catch can and putting a breather filter on the exit side of the catch can.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:36 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sp3kter
I sugges getting a catch can and putting a breather filter on the exit side of the catch can.

that is definately an option. i am taking it back to my tuner today and he wants to look at it and possibly fabricate something that will work since procharger recommends just capping off where the PCV hose once was. i'll let yall know what he comes up with.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:40 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Mac, congrats on the new setup. Please let us know how the new found power feels. And any daily driveability issues?
Old 09-17-2009, 03:07 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Catch cans are a good idea but slightly off topic.
To answer your original question, i would suggest that procharger know how to install their own setups. If they say cap them off, then in lieu of any other updates from them to the contrary, cap them off.....

Pressure in the crankcase is generally a sign of piston ring blow-by. I thought crankcase pressure is normally negative but then again, that's with a functional PCV setup.

As I say though, the catch can is a nice idea. I personally haven't seen any evidence of oil getting into my own intake but I guess it could happen if the motor starts to breath a little heavily.

Last edited by marcuskeeler; 09-17-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:07 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Procharger uses a blow-through setup, if I recall. That makes handling crankcase ventilation tricky. Capping off the pcv port on the intake is one thing, and makes sense (to stop the vacuum pull from the pcv). But you SHOULD have some sort of breathering capability!!! If you block off/seal the valve cover vents. you'll build up pressure in the crankcase; that pressure will find its way out somewhere, usually through blown gaskets.

Hooking up both valve cover vents to a catch can is a viable option. However, you may experience moisture buildup in the crankcase in cold weather.

My Vortech is set up in a similar manner, and I run 2 breathers and a filtering setup to pull fumes and allow venting under boost. Plus for inspection, I can make it a closed system and be emissions legal.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

^ do you have any pics of your set up?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:18 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

+1. let me see exactly what you have done.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I dont have one on mine and have no oil in the intake......again if procharger recommends capping the PCV then that's what I would do.....thats just me though and not too worried at this point cause I know I will be forging and up the boost and use the new whipple belt drive! then I will add the catch can!
Old 09-18-2009, 04:49 AM
slvrstang2007
2nd Gear Member

When I installed mine I just followed the instructions, and if I remember correctly it only called for the capping of the drivers side, and the passengers side ran a hose to the intake, I installed a catch can though. Check my garage or profile for pic under the hood.

Quick Reply: procharger question...