Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #31
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Mustang GT

Funny I just threw one on my truck last night, because it sits for weeks without being driven. I have the Battery Tender Jr. so we will see how well it works. Checked it out when I got home this morning the the indicator light is still red so apparently it is still charging. I am curious to see how long before the green charge light comes on. I have heard nothing but good things about them.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
scooter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #32
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter3 View Post
Funny I just threw one on my truck last night, because it sits for weeks without being driven. I have the Battery Tender Jr. so we will see how well it works. Checked it out when I got home this morning the the indicator light is still red so apparently it is still charging. I am curious to see how long before the green charge light comes on. I have heard nothing but good things about them.
When I first got mine hooked up it was right after my battery had been drained from sitting. It took quite some time to change from red to green, maybe even a day or two if I remember correctly. If it's hooked up correctly and you are not getting the blinking red then give it some time, should go green soon.
Saleen Suspension Package, BMR LCA's, BMR Rear Sway Bar, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar
Corsa Axel Back Exhaust
450 RWHP, 442 RWTQ
PistolPez73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #33
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Vehicle: 2007 Pony Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art161 View Post
Well, db157, are you letting everything wind down for at least 40 minutes before you take the current reading? I could believe a reading of 1.5 amps before everything goes to sleep, but not for a long period of time.

The workshop manual says no more than 50 milliamperes of parasitic draw. The dealer tested mine, and reported that my car draws 40 milliamperes. There is a TSB that says typical is 20-30 milliamperes.

If you have a 60 Ah battery, and a parasitic draw of 1.5 amps, then wouldn't the battery would be stone cold dead in 40 hours if the car were parked?

Are you doing the test as specified on page 414-00-16 of the 2007 workshop manual?
Oh yea, waiting the proper time
Have printed workshop manual and follow it like the bible.
These S197s take special procedure to test things
unlike vehicles of yesteryear.
I let the stang sit for the proper time.
I observed the draw and battery voltage for more than 24 hours
to collect data for my custom charger logic/voltage setpoints.
I have the charge leads and seperate voltage sense leads
for the control circuitry unlike the 'battery tenders' who can
only guess battery voltage over the same two wires carring
the charging current. Bad design.

If and when my alternator looses a diode or two, I will have to
get Oscope pics of what that looks like as well.
Internal diagnosis of the alternator on the vehicle....
Originally Posted by chronos View Post
You and that darn manual! If you like it so much, maybe you should marry it!
157dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #34
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Sonic Blue 4.0
DrFister

I just purchased a Battery Tender Plus for use on my car over the winter storage months. I will be leaving the battery connected and in the car through this time. Could someone please tell me which post of the battery is grounded so I can properly hook up the tender (1 clamp to battery post, one clamp to chassis). I tired looking for an answer but couldnt find what I was looking for. Thanks!

2005 Sonic Blue 4.0 V6 2005-2013 R.I.P.
2009 Black 4.6 GT FR500S exhaust, Roush CAI
drfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #35
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfister View Post
... Could someone please tell me which post of the battery is grounded so I can properly hook up the tender (1 clamp to battery post, one clamp to chassis). I tired looking for an answer but couldnt find what I was looking for. Thanks!
Really???

The Battery Tender comes with alligator clamps plus ring lugs; the latter for direct, permanent connection to the battery. If you're not using the latter, then just go ahead and use the alligator clamps on the battery terminals. And black is negative, red is positive. If you're color blind, ask for help.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #36
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Sonic Blue 4.0
DrFister

Thanks for the clarification there. The instructions for the tender were a little confusing when explaining the difference between charging with the battery in the vehicle and when you pull it to charge. Just wanted to make sure before I went and fubar'd something up. It sure is easier to ask a stupid question than have to make a stupid repair. All is well now though!

2005 Sonic Blue 4.0 V6 2005-2013 R.I.P.
2009 Black 4.6 GT FR500S exhaust, Roush CAI
drfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #37
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Vehicle: 06

So Nuke... Do you still need a tender?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #38
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Vehicle: 2007 Pony Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art161 View Post
What is this 1.3 to 1.5 amps of parasitic draw you keep posting time after time after time? The parasitic draw should not exceed 50 milliamperes.
This is when the sheitter 500 goes berserk
Originally Posted by chronos View Post
You and that darn manual! If you like it so much, maybe you should marry it!
157dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:25 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
07, battery, batterytender, car, cost, disconnect, ford, leave, muscle, mustang, problems, running, tender, tenders, winter