Originally Posted by Art161
Well, db157, are you letting everything wind down for at least 40 minutes before you take the current reading? I could believe a reading of 1.5 amps before everything goes to sleep, but not for a long period of time.
The workshop manual says no more than 50 milliamperes of parasitic draw. The dealer tested mine, and reported that my car draws 40 milliamperes. There is a TSB that says typical is 20-30 milliamperes.
If you have a 60 Ah battery, and a parasitic draw of 1.5 amps, then wouldn't the battery would be stone cold dead in 40 hours if the car were parked?
Are you doing the test as specified on page 414-00-16 of the 2007 workshop manual?
Oh yea, waiting the proper time
Have printed workshop manual and follow it like the bible.
These S197s take special procedure to test things
unlike vehicles of yesteryear.
I let the stang sit for the proper time.
I observed the draw and battery voltage for more than 24 hours
to collect data for my custom charger logic/voltage setpoints.
I have the charge leads and seperate voltage sense leads
for the control circuitry unlike the 'battery tenders' who can
only guess battery voltage over the same two wires carring
the charging current. Bad design.
If and when my alternator looses a diode or two, I will have to
get Oscope pics of what that looks like as well.
Internal diagnosis of the alternator on the vehicle....