Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender info request

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default Battery Tender info request

I'll be storing for the first time both my '07 and the g/f's '06 for the winter in the next 6-8 weeks. They'll be in an unheated pole barn for about 3-4 months but we'll have electricity so I'm planning on going the battery tender route. I'm well versed in storage pre-reqs so no need to provide other storage tidbits. I just wanted to get some feedback on the battery tender:
  1. Make & model you like/dislike
  2. Do you disconnect the battery from the car? My intent is to leave all connections in place.
  3. Do you check on it over the storage period? I'll have limited access to the facility.
Thanks guys.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

what is the point of the battery tender?

I've been deployed way too many times to count for 3+ months at a time.

I just unplugged the battery and left. came home and connected it, then drove off. I'd only worry about the battery going dead if either battery is old/weak and already got one foot out the door
Old 09-28-2009, 12:12 PM
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I'll be storing for the first time both my '07 and the g/f's '06 for the winter in the next 6-8 weeks. They'll be in an unheated pole barn for about 3-4 months but we'll have electricity so I'm planning on going the battery tender route. I'm well versed in storage pre-reqs so no need to provide other storage tidbits. I just wanted to get some feedback on the battery tender:
  1. Make & model you like/dislike
  2. Do you disconnect the battery from the car? My intent is to leave all connections in place.
  3. Do you check on it over the storage period? I'll have limited access to the facility.
Thanks guys.
I store my mustang over the winter in the garage using a battery tender. here are my observations.

1. I believe I have the battery tender jr. It's just a single larger than normal wall plug in unit with the connections coming out of it. It shows when the unit is not connected properly, when it's charging, and when it's at full charge by an LED.

2. I leave the battery in the car and connected, then just connect the tender to the terminals.

3. Being in the garage I'm looking at the damn thing all winter wishing I could drive it! But, I imagine I could leave it for extended periods and not worry about it. I have not had ANY problems what-so-ever with my battery tender, works like a charm!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:19 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I pretty much do the same as Pistol.

I have one for my car and one for my motorcycle. I used the battery connections that came with the tender, so I can just "quick disconnect" from the vehichle. I use mine all year long for both car and bike. It keeps the battery at it's optimum level and therefore extends it's life span.

A battery will eventually die even if disconnected from the car and that's what shortens the batteries life. I've had motorcycle batteries last 7-8 years because of the Tender.

Assuming the tender does not become diconnected from the battery for some reason you should have no problems connecting it and forgetting about it.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
what is the point of the battery tender?

I've been deployed way too many times to count for 3+ months at a time.

I just unplugged the battery and left. came home and connected it, then drove off. I'd only worry about the battery going dead if either battery is old/weak and already got one foot out the door
If it wasn't for the fact that BOTH mine and the g/f's batteries are the OE Motorcrap, I would simply disconnect the battery. But since mine is going on 3 y/o and her's is going on 4, I'd rather NOT come back to it with a dead battery in the spring. I'd consideer replacing either one or both NOW but neither of us are having issues (looks over shoulder) and I'm curious to see how much more service we both can get from the OE battery.

Disconnecting and letting them sit for 3-4 months, considering the track record of the Motorcrap batteries, is trouble waiting to happen. Some batteries will discharge severely and will not accept a charge. I expect no less from these batteries.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

cool

never had a problem with the "motorcrap" batteries as you put it...but I can understand the concern

quick question though.

what is the price of a battery tender? vs. the price of a new battery? I've never priced the Tenders out, but it seems they'd be running nearly $100 for a good one...which is what a good battery will cost new.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:46 PM
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

cool

never had a problem with the "motorcrap" batteries as you put it...but I can understand the concern

quick question though.

what is the price of a battery tender? vs. the price of a new battery? I've never priced the Tenders out, but it seems they'd be running nearly $100 for a good one...which is what a good battery will cost new.
I think I got the Battery Tender Jr. for like $25 bucks at "insert random name here" Auto Parts Store. Not a bad deal for hooking it up and basically forgetting about it for the winter.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

damn, that is cheap.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

...never had a problem with the "motorcrap" batteries as you put it...but I can understand the concern

quick question though.

Just do a search on batteries and you'll see all kinds of threads regarding premature OE battery failures.

The "Battery Tender" brand and their "Jr" model is $39.95 on their site. There are cheaper ones out there. I usually will have a deep cycle sitting around throughout the year and instead of tossing one of my chargers on it once in awhile, I figure having a tender will do it/them better. Coming from nuke plant's that have all of their batteries on float when in standby, I figure the same should be best for our batteries (which is additional justification for buying another toy... I mean, tender).
Old 09-28-2009, 04:43 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I modified my regular battery charger to wait until the
battery reaches 12.3V and then it charges until 13.8V.
Then it waits until 12.3V and it starts all over.
It does this 3-4 times a day and I dont have to monitor
anything and I overcome the 1.3Amps of parasitic draw.
Unhook the battery and a tender will not be needed.
Batteries sit all the time unhooked at the parts store
with no damage.
3 months I can do standing on my head, the battery said.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender info request