Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner, First Mod.....Shaker 500

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Charger1213

Default New Owner, First Mod.....Shaker 500

Hi everyone,

Purchased 2010 GT....Kona Blue... about a week ago. Traded in a 2005 Honda S2000 for the Mustang. Have enjoyed getting to know the car and slowly break it in. Its been great to read all the information on this forum. I'm looking forward to performance based MOD's on the car. I find the parts are just barely starting to trickle out for the car....so I decided to start with the stereo.

My car came with Shaker 500 system. I find the sound control to make the stock speakers very temperamental...turn up the bass....you loose most of the treble. So I decided to upgrade the 6x8 speakers in the top of the door, and the 6x8 speakers on the rear deck. When I saw the stock speakers after they were pulled out...even I was surprised. What a bunch of crap. Full paper throughout the entire speaker. Super small magnets, and they were each made in diff factories. One in China, one in Mexico. TOTAL CRAP. No offense to anyone who likes their speakers.......but when Ford charges you a premium for a high end stereo system...you'd expect something better. I've had cars with factory premium sound systems in other cars that were much better. The 8 inch Subs in the door are pretty decent though.

Upgraded to Hertz ECX 570's. Hertz would call these 5x7 inch speakers...but diff manufacturers will call the same size either or 5x7 / 6x8. What a difference going to these speakers. Night and day. The sound control now has range and doesn't mangle the other end of the spectrum when you change things. I also don't need to turn much up or down. Speakers plus installation on this was 440. The installers were fairly impressed with the overall system with such a small change and price wise.

Anybody else upgraded their sound system?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:46 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

I been thinking about doing the same thing with different speakers. After having the Mustang for a month and driving the wives F150 with a full Kicker system the Shaker500 is definitely lacking in alot of areas.

I plan to upgrade the front door speakers and rear deck speakers then add a sub in the trunk. That's after I finish some more power mods. Right now I don't even listen to the radio...just the Roush exhaust.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:47 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

I've got the Shaker 500 in mine as well and thought it sounded pretty damn good. After hearing you say that the speakers are cardboard I'm going to check mine out also. If they are, I'll change them too. I know the difference good aftermarket speakers make. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Charger1213

You wont believe how cheap the speakers are when you seem them. I have premium system in my 08 Tundra, and wives 09 Acura. Both different systems.....both smoke the Shaker 500. All three priced similarly from the dealer. Toyota was JBL...Acura was Infinity i believe.

Like I said...the bass is plenty good. Ad your brand preference in the upper door speakers and back panel speakers for a reasonable price....and you've got one VERY nice sounding system. Now my 2010 has the nicest sounding system of all the cars.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Ron Burgundy

Well when my 2010 GT comes in, which should be within a month, i have an Alpine deck and two 12'' Kenwood subs to put in it. ill probably have them put in new speakers too depending on how much it will cost.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Charger1213

Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy
Well when my 2010 GT comes in, which should be within a month, i have an Alpine deck and two 12'' Kenwood subs to put in it. ill probably have them put in new speakers too depending on how much it will cost.
How is that going to be adapted to the car? Is there an aftermarket kit for this already? I would love to upgrade to an AVIC pioneer system, or a similar Alpine.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:08 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Charger1213
Hi everyone,

Purchased 2010 GT....Kona Blue... about a week ago. Traded in a 2005 Honda S2000 for the Mustang. Have enjoyed getting to know the car and slowly break it in. Its been great to read all the information on this forum. I'm looking forward to performance based MOD's on the car. I find the parts are just barely starting to trickle out for the car....so I decided to start with the stereo.

My car came with Shaker 500 system. I find the sound control to make the stock speakers very temperamental...turn up the bass....you loose most of the treble. So I decided to upgrade the 6x8 speakers in the top of the door, and the 6x8 speakers on the rear deck. When I saw the stock speakers after they were pulled out...even I was surprised. What a bunch of crap. Full paper throughout the entire speaker. Super small magnets, and they were each made in diff factories. One in China, one in Mexico. TOTAL CRAP. No offense to anyone who likes their speakers.......but when Ford charges you a premium for a high end stereo system...you'd expect something better. I've had cars with factory premium sound systems in other cars that were much better. The 8 inch Subs in the door are pretty decent though.

Upgraded to Hertz ECX 570's. Hertz would call these 5x7 inch speakers...but diff manufacturers will call the same size either or 5x7 / 6x8. What a difference going to these speakers. Night and day. The sound control now has range and doesn't mangle the other end of the spectrum when you change things. I also don't need to turn much up or down. Speakers plus installation on this was 440. The installers were fairly impressed with the overall system with such a small change and price wise.

Anybody else upgraded their sound system?
Too bad you don't have any pics of the install. I would have been very curious.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Charger1213

Originally Posted by AJ_68
Too bad you don't have any pics of the install. I would have been very curious.
Pics of the OEM speakers? or the actual install. The install itself is absolutely nothing. Same size speakers going into factory holes. They didn't have to modify anything.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:28 AM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

I mention the paper speakers and small magnets and how cheap they are a few weeks ago and someone got on my case saying they were so good. HA!

I have the Shaker 500 too and I wanted to replace both the rear deck and top door speakers myself but looking at all the "stuff" you got to take apart just to get to the speakers (side panels, door panels, etc), I put it on the back burner. I have a nice set of Polk speakers all pick out from Clutchfield that I want to install. Everyone who has replaced the factory speakers have said what a big difference they make.

Joe
Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Charger1213
Pics of the OEM speakers? or the actual install. The install itself is absolutely nothing. Same size speakers going into factory holes. They didn't have to modify anything.
Pics of install. We've heard the rear speakers are a pain to replace, I'm curious to see how those come out.

I've never heard of Hertz - what made you pick this particular speaker?

Quick Reply: New Owner, First Mod.....Shaker 500