Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:47 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

Default Quick question about winter storage

hey guys, got a quick question. Gonna get the car off the road this week sometime because the weather here is terrible and could use the extra insurance money.

I always change the oil right before i put it away and add the stable fuel. I always run full syn. oil.

Question is, would it be alright if i change the oil and filter now with just regular oil, drive it about 7 miles to where its gonna be stored, let it sit over winter, take it out and drive the seven miles and put the syn. back in it for next summer ???
Old 09-29-2009, 12:51 PM
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

Why not just change out with full synthetic right now and save yourself another oil change in the spring?

I don't think oil will go bad just sitting in the oil pan over the winter.....
Old 09-29-2009, 01:14 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

i dont know, i was always told to change it when you put it away and pull it out.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Full synthetic can sit much longer than dino. Plus, since you'll be storing it shortly after the oil change the oil will be fine for at least a year if the car was to sit that long. And to be honest, I'd be sure to put enough miles on it immediately after the oil change on your way to store it to be sure you've driven as much moisture out of the engine and exhaust as reasonably possible; probably a bit more than 7 miles. In the spring just fire her up and go. You won't need to change full synthetic for ~8,000 - 10,000 miles or 1 year; whichever comes first.

Also be sure to add the fuel stabilizer with about 1/2 a tank left and then fill up and put about 10-20 miles on it to get the treated fuel thru the entire system. Disconnect the battery and, if convenient, attach a battery tender. It MAY prevent a weak battery from dying during the storage period. The OE Motorcrap batteries are NOT the best.

And if you can, put a moisture barrier between the tires and concrete if you'll be in storage more than a few months.

And 1 or 2 dryer sheets tossed into the cabin will keep it smelling "purty".

Last edited by Nuke; 09-29-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:58 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I store the car for 6 months out of the yr and only change the oil once a yr.....usually right before storage....and thats it. I use Mobil1
Old 09-30-2009, 03:40 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I'd be sure to put enough miles on it immediately after the oil change on your way to store it to be sure you've driven as much moisture out of the engine and exhaust as reasonably possible; probably a bit more than 7 miles. CHECK

Also be sure to add the fuel stabilizer ALWAYS!

And if you can, put a moisture barrier between the tires and concrete if you'll be in storage more than a few months. ALWAYS!

And 1 or 2 dryer sheets tossed into the cabin will keep it smelling "purty". CHECK!
I'll just change it now with the royal purple i always use, add the stable fuel, fill the tank up,(its on E right now) drive about ten miles, and put it away...
Also, i do start it up once a month or so and let it get warm, i know its not needed with the stable fuel, but mainly to hear the exhaust !
Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06stangGT
I'll just change it now with the royal purple i always use, add the stable fuel, fill the tank up,(its on E right now) drive about ten miles, and put it away...
Also, i do start it up once a month or so and let it get warm, i know its not needed with the stable fuel, but mainly to hear the exhaust !
I usually start mine up several times throughout the winter. I've heard that it helps to keep the engine lubricated. Just make sure it runs for a good 10-15 minutes to get up to operating temperature. I mainly do it for the same reason you do though....just to hear it rumble.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:46 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Acids from combustion process form in the oil and the crankcase collects
moisture from the air during storage.
Bearing surfaces can even be etched over time from corrosive oil....
Stabil fuel stabilizer is a must and it has to be in the entire
system up to the injectors themselves to do 100% good...

Dont start her up 'just to hear the rumble'.
It does more bad tahn good during storage...
Sorry PistolPete73 but no prize for your observations this time...

Last edited by 157dB; 10-02-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Unless you can take the Stang out for a good, hot run (at least 20 miles), DO NOT start it during the storage period. You'll simply cause more harm than good by not loading up the engine and NOT burning off whatever mositure you've just churned up and mixed with your oil in addition to adding more acids into your exhaust system that won't burn off. THAT'S the "soup" that'll build up acids and cause damage. If you've done all the right steps to ensure fresh oil, stabilized fuel, tire protection and proper electrical bedy-by, then that and some other minor sundries are IT. The engine is protected. Leave it alone. You're doing more harm than good.

The issue about keeping the "engine lubricated" has nothing to do with the engine at all. It has to do with the seals and those will only stay supple if the car is DRIVEN (i.e., under load) and allowed to get to operating temperature for an extended period of time. Car's stored for outrageous periods of time suffer seal damage. NOT cars stored for under a year.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I change the oil once a year with full synthetic. + Stabilizer in full tank of gas.

Quick Reply: Quick question about winter storage