Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Id like to add heated seats for a factory look

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 06:53 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Default Id like to add heated seats for a factory look

I have leather and ive always wanted to have heated seats although they warm up fast when cold, i still want them. But i really really want a factory look. Since i do not have the buttons and it seems like to have the factory buttons id need to replace the lower A/C unit to one that does. That part really doesn't concern me. The part that may be hard is being able to wire an aftermarket seat heater to a factory button like that.

Does any one have any exprience with this type of stuff?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

i wouldnt try goin through all that mess running the wires up the center console, id buy an aftermarket switch and mount it on the side of the seat. Maybe a 3-level one where you could change how hot it gets.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:18 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

^Agreed.

The factory switch is a 1-level switch, as opposed to 3 (low-mid-high). The factory ones also turn themselves off after awhile. (15 mins maybe?)

Go aftermarket.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

For OEM:

1. need a new fuse panel with the fuse slots for the seat heaters
2. need the buttons with their associated relays for mounting inside the dash
3. associated wire loom from dash to seat

Ford has a nasty habit of using different main fuse blocks. they differ depending on the options installed.

so to go OEM, it can be done...it will just require some creative purchases and alot of patience.
I think you'd be better off going with an aftermarket seat heater. Most of the kits re-use your current seat covers. just require removing the skin, installing the heater elements and then re-skinning the seat.

then just plumb in the wiring and the activation button. I like the idea mounting it on the side of the seat by the electrical movement controls
Old 10-03-2009, 09:55 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Tylus
For OEM:

1. need a new fuse panel with the fuse slots for the seat heaters
2. need the buttons with their associated relays for mounting inside the dash
3. associated wire loom from dash to seat

Ford has a nasty habit of using different main fuse blocks. they differ depending on the options installed.

so to go OEM, it can be done...it will just require some creative purchases and alot of patience.
I think you'd be better off going with an aftermarket seat heater. Most of the kits re-use your current seat covers. just require removing the skin, installing the heater elements and then re-skinning the seat.

then just plumb in the wiring and the activation button. I like the idea mounting it on the side of the seat by the electrical movement controls
The heated seats have an added relay block under
the dash that non-heated seats equipped stangs dont have.
It also requires the SJB to be reprogrammed to have the heated
seat logic in it.
So add step 4, going to the stealership for the SJB programming.
Way too complicated to warrant factory heated seats as an afterthought...

nOW USING THE oem SWITCHES TO CONTROL AFTERMARKET HEATED SEAT PADS WOULD FIT YOUR BILL, i BELIEVE...
fricken caps lock

Last edited by 157dB; 10-03-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:49 AM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
The heated seats have an added relay block under
the dash that non-heated seats equipped stangs dont have.
It also requires the SJB to be reprogrammed to have the heated
seat logic in it.
So add step 4, going to the stealership for the SJB programming.
Way too complicated to warrant factory heated seats as an afterthought...

nOW USING THE oem SWITCHES TO CONTROL AFTERMARKET HEATED SEAT PADS WOULD FIT YOUR BILL, i BELIEVE...
fricken caps lock
Thanks guys, Yeah i have no desire to go full on factory. Id just like to be able to use a factory switch to make it look nicer. I did not know about the power levels on the aftermaket ones and that the switch would only net me one level of power. Depending on if i can get the switch cheap id just try and wire up the seats to med or high power setting since if it gets to hot a push of a button would shut them down. If not than i would most def just mount the switch right where the seat adjusments are. I just would like for any passenger to see the switch. Ive been in a few cars that have the heat switch in funky locations to where i never turned them on becuase i never knew they were there.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:57 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by eslhockey92g
Thanks guys, Yeah i have no desire to go full on factory. Id just like to be able to use a factory switch to make it look nicer. I did not know about the power levels on the aftermaket ones and that the switch would only net me one level of power. Depending on if i can get the switch cheap id just try and wire up the seats to med or high power setting since if it gets to hot a push of a button would shut them down. If not than i would most def just mount the switch right where the seat adjusments are. I just would like for any passenger to see the switch. Ive been in a few cars that have the heat switch in funky locations to where i never turned them on becuase i never knew they were there.
Most aftermarket is a simple NormallyOpen, close to make contact, switch
with logic controls for the heat levels with multiple heating elements employed.
It sould be simple pimple to interface the factory switches/indicators
to the aftermarket heated seats wiring harness.
Its totally doabole if you just want the OEM appearance.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:46 PM
fordmanforever

Okay I bought one of the panels with the heated switches in it. It's a sealed piece. I suppose you would have to know what pins are for the heated seat buttons. If you plug them in and press the heated seat button it lights up and then shuts off after about 10 to 15 minutes or if you push the button again. Any ideas?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Ihateyourface

I was looking to do the same thing with factory switches with an aftermarket kit, so it will look cleaner and I wont have to drill holes. Where did you find the factory switches? I've looked on ebay and all the ones for sale didn't have the heated seat buttons.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Even when I lived in the northern tundra, I didn't like my heated seats. Of course, the car was garaged but still, the garage would get down to about 20 degrees when it was 20 below outside...

Quick Reply: Id like to add heated seats for a factory look