Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question re: MAC Long Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:21 AM
need4speed17n
1st Gear Member

Exclamation Question re: MAC Long Tubes

hey, just a few questions about the MAC long tube headers:

1) there is no way for the LTs to bolt directly to the existing stock pipes correct (without new a H/X/prochamber)?

2) I know that for a N/A car the 1 5/8" are better for power than the 1 3/4", but MAC doesn't make a 1 5/8" setup... thoughts??

3) The MACs are "ceramic coated"... does this constitute a nice high temp coating?

4) Does ANYONE know where I could get a prochamber for cheep? damn those things are expensive (almost as much as the LTs)

5) Finally, and of course most important, how do you all think LAC LTs, O/R prochamber, and Stingers (or the stock muffs) will sound?!?!

also, if anyone has anything to say about the install or quality of MAC's products feel free to chime in please!

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 10-19-2009, 02:08 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

dont fall for the hype of you need the matching mid pipe, you can get your headers put in take it to a exhaust shop and they can take your existing stock h pipe cut out the cats and pretty easily add a few custom pieces in to make it fit, will cost you barely anything compared to buying a prochamber or other mid pipe. Or just see if you can find a used pro chamber even from any yr and then just get the custom pipes fabricated will still be cheaper then buying one new I assume. Pipe is pipe for the most part especially when it comes down to your mid pipe....
Old 10-19-2009, 08:37 AM
DarkJFMan
2nd Gear Member

If u want u could do what was posted earlier if u want an o/r pipe, getting a prochamber isn't bad if u r willing to spend the money. Of course I'll be better off with 1 5/8" but u wouldn't notice much difference if u didn't. Ceramic coating will help keep temp down and make them look nicer but I wouldn't get them unless u r taking ur car for a show otherwise not worth the money IMO.

U might wanna check if mac still on backorder cuz last time I checked they were. Ur set up will sound good like that I heard similar setup to that on YouTube u could do the same to get a general idea. Cheapest place I found when I was looking was at latemodelrestoration.com
Old 10-19-2009, 08:46 AM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

MAC actually made the second best power gains behind only American Racing and Kooks which are both significantly more expensive. The mid pipe does not have to be a prochamber; I have an O/R x pipe with dumped M80s welded on, just take it to an exhaust shop and they will get you what you want.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:14 PM
need4speed17n
1st Gear Member

the reason I was asking about the pro-chamber is because I am afraid it will be too raspy if I just run a straight up O/R mid pipe. I was debating between putting in a prochamber or getting a catted H pipe.

What do you all think? An o/r pro chamber (if i can find one for a reasonable price) or just buying some high flow cats and gettin um put in at a muffler shop?
Old 10-19-2009, 03:36 PM
DarkJFMan
2nd Gear Member

If you don't want that raspy stay away from X, I've read a lot of posts saying that prochamber is better than H because of the way it's built, it will give you more HP. Seeing that you live in FL and if you don't think you'll be moving to a state where they are strict on emission, o/r is the way to go.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:55 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i have the full mac setup and love it. they are awsome headers. someone was selling there prochamber in the classifieds also the headers to i beleave
Old 10-19-2009, 08:34 PM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

If you get the off road prochamber with the LT's you can do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9tfopVJ_50

LOL

But really this is the best sound clip I could find. Tombstang knows my car sounds good, but he is into that BEAST MODE type exhaust lol.

Listen to the :40 mark. I had to give my brother a 5 second head start.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q8NyWqpMIA

I have the magnaflow side exhaust though.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:43 PM
need4speed17n
1st Gear Member

ok guys... talked to Brenspeed... the MACs are on FIVE MONTH back-order. Now what do I do? No one seems to have MAC headers.....

Old 10-19-2009, 09:57 PM
DarkJFMan
2nd Gear Member

Told you haha, it sucks I was looking for MACs too. I couldn't wait and went with kooks you won't be disappointed, their price is comparable to other well known brands and still better. Like mentioned before AR and kooks came 1st and 2nd followed by macs in 3rd unfortunately I lost the link to a website that had a really good info about those.

Unless you wanna wait and go with macs get some kooks, thing about kooks is you'd need catted H to keep that deep muscle sound for your car, unless you can search youtube is see how they sound to you with o/r H.

Quick Reply: Question re: MAC Long Tubes