Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:29 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

The hydraulic clutch in these cars is pretty light. Even with a stiff aftermarket clutch I still don't get leg fatigue even in the worst stop and go traffic. Learning to drive a manual is easy. I learned by buying a manual car... and then needing to get home from the dealer.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:01 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

It took me getting much older to learn and be able to *handle* a manual transmission. I think every person is different.

The main importance is how much your desire is to learn. If it is something you really want to do, you will be fine.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

54 here and my Stang is manual. I've owned quite a few cars over the years and about 1/3 have been manual. I'd be on the fence if I knew I was going to be living full time in city traffic (like I am now in this god foresaken Chicago suburb) AND if the Stang was my DD. But after owning manuals, I'd have kicked myself in the butt had I bought an auto.

Like everything else in this world, it all boils down to your personal choice.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:19 AM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

both the auto and the manual have their respective advantages... obviously there is no worry when it comes to missed shifts and stop and go driving when in the automatic; however, there's nothing like driving a manual when the roads are even a little bit open, the level of fun is almost illegal. For drag racing, unless you like spending money on clutches and synchros (guys that I know powershift like raped apes), auto is the best as you will always be consistent. I have managed to make my automatic mustang as fun as a manual trans car, or so I would think anyways because of my higher stall converter and a ratchet shifter.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:26 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

If this car is going to be your DD and you have to do alot of driving then the "fun" of stick is going to fade really quick. Also, do you live by yourself? If so you have to think about how are you going to get to work if you hurt your leg or arm? In an auto you don't have that worry. So think it over, cause in the end you have to live with it......
Old 10-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

Ah yes another versus. EFI vs Carb, Manual vs Auto, Locker vs Limited Slip, and the Bronco specific TTB vs solid axle. Really it's a personal preference but you should know the differences before you buy. You are making a large investment and should you not like your choice then you will lose money correcting that choice. My suggestion is to have one of your friends with a manual (any beater manual will do) spend a few minutes with you to get familiar with a manual. It is not rocket science and you should pick up the basics in 15 minutes or so.

I'm 64 with a bad right knee (as in Drs. recommend partial knee replacement). Mine is a manual DD and I have no problems both in town and on the road. Love the downshifts and winding out the gears. I've had two Mustangs ('65 & '07) and both were manuals. My 2 '68 Camaros and my '75 Firebird were also manuals. I've also had several manual 4x4s until Ford decided that you could only get the 351 in a Bronco with an auto. Oh and my dad taught me when I was 13 on an old Ford tractor and a 51 Chevy pickup.

There are pros and cons with both types of trannys. With a manual you will eventually have to replace the clutch. It's a good idea to replace everything at once, clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. You may also need to have the flywheel removed and turned. With an auto there are parasitic losses due to the nature of the beast. Once in high gear though most modern automatics have a direct lockup through the torque converter. The thing that bothers me about automatics is the shifting. In order to satisfy the masses, autos are designed for smooth shifts. Shifting is performed by opening and closing hydraulic valves. These select the different gearing. To get these smooth shifts they leave the valve for the current gear open while they open the valve for the next higher gear. This means the transmission is trying to run two gears at once. Good for smooth shifts, not good for transmission longevity. Shift kits can alleviate some of this as they re-valve the shifts.

Anyway try driving a manual before you drop down the big bucks. I know I like them but you may not.

BB
Semper Fi
~~~;~~;"< Just another rowdy reptile - Go Gators
Old 10-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I'm 95 years old and I still drive a manual.

No seriously. IMO they are more fun than an auto. If the car was going to be a drag strip car, and one that went out there frequently, I would go with an automatic. Otherwise screw that.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:52 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

50 here and I've been driving stick since I was 19. My boyfriend taught me on his brand new Plymouth Champ. It was so easy, I had it by the the time I shifted into 4th gear.
I'm glad I bought a manual Mustang.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:57 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Default 3 Pedals vrs 2

I purchaced my first new car in '72. It was a 124 Fiat Sport Coupe 5-speed.

You can do the math, but of the 10 cars I have purchaced since, none have been automatic.

I work in Boston and live in the burbs, so traffic is a way of life (so is snow).

If you are serious about driving (and if you have/want a Mustang, you are), a manual is a no brainer.

Find a way to learn, preferably you should be left alone in a large empty lot and have a go at it. You CAN learn. My mother-in-law had a 5-speed Celica up until 5 years ago and she is 86!

Those who can, know the joy of being in complete communication with your car and can take full advantage of what their cars have to offer, and for a Mustang, that's a lot.

Keep your left foot involved...

Joe F
2010 GT
5-speed (wish it was 6)
Old 10-19-2009, 12:06 PM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

Do you have any friends with manuals? Maybe they will let you try theirs first just to get the feel of it.

Quick Reply: Automatic or Manual?