Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing Faith

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:45 AM
KingB21
2nd Gear Member

Default Losing Faith

In people that is. Last week, my car got $2500 of vandalism. So today, I have my window replaced, take my finace out for a birthday supper, as we leave the car parked infornt of me is about 6 inches away, I already knew the car was hit.

The owner did arrive thank god, but was a complete moron, thinking she did no wrong. She goes on to say "bumpers are called bumpers, for bumping, are they not?" and "its just a car, its not like its a BMW" She could not possibly under stand why someone would become upset if their car was hit. I believe if we were not there when she came out, she would have driven away.

I can't beleive the luck I have had. Can't wait to get deal with insurance again.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:13 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

dumb bitches

sorry man
Old 10-20-2009, 01:17 AM
kemo6972

Default Keep your head up!!

Hang in there man, it gets better, thats what I told myself 2 weeks ago anyway, when an ILLEGAL MEXICAN blew through an intersection, hit me head on.....he jumped out and ran...the cops caught him two blocks away and guess what he was 1. Drunk 2.no license 3. no insurance and 4. he totaled my beloved stang. By the grace of GOD I was not hurt and the insurance payed mine off but left me very little money to try and replace what i had "07 v6 pp auto firered". Thankfully my wonderfull wife found me a 06 black pp v6 already has dual exhaust and has been lowered,and in excellent condition, so all is good!! On a side note the illegal was driving a stolen honda civic (and you couldnt even tell the make by how badly it was mangled up) and my stang from one side it looked liked it had not even been hit. I wouldnt have wanted to be in that honda!! Stangs rule!!
A little venting does the soul good!!
Old 10-20-2009, 02:13 AM
Chris45215

A month ago, some careless idiot in a parking lot hit my passenger door handle with their door and scraped a little line of paint off the handle.
Actually, that's not all that bad.

King, I know how you feel about the bumper. They are supposed to absorb the bumps and LIMIT the damage to the rest of the car; they do not magically prevent damage from happening.
But check this out: some SUVs and trucks (like the Hummer), because they are not technically classified as passenger vehicles, do not have actual bumpers. This causes them to do immensely more damage to any car they hit, and suffer more damage themselves. Car makers use this loophole because it saves them a few bucks when making the car, but results in numerous more injuries and significantly higher repair bills. Also, the original Hummer and following H2, which everyone thinks are the safest cars on the road: they have never been crash tested. And they were built to weigh twice as much as any other car (so they can qualify for tax deductions as a business truck) but with horrible crumple zones, so they absorb almost no impact and will hit any other car like a cement block. They probably are the safest cars on the road, but they are FAR more fatal to other drivers if in a crash. So, all the effort to make cars safer and more fuel efficient over the last several years has been counteracted by this pair of legal loopholes which have made 6000-pound SUV's exempt from fuel efficiency standards and cheaper due to tax breaks. (for the record, my parents both have SUV's and I have nothing against the things, but the fact is that they inflict far more damage in a crash than a normal sized car). Your tax money at work right there.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:57 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

sorry, going off-topic a little bit
@ Chris
you are categorizing SUV's in one huge lump...and a few of your "facts" are quite wrong.

my 2008 Expedition EL is arguably one of the biggest passenger vehicles on the road alongside the Suburban. It's every bit of 7,000 lbs with options and a full gas tank.
It has special crumple zones front/rear and sides.

also has a special "anti-drive over" bar in the front end to prevent pulverizing and simply driving over a smaller vehicle.

5 star safety rated front, side and rollover. full airbag deployment front and side aircurtains.
You'll find that 99% of SUV's carry these same safety features to some degree. It's Federal Law for the bar that prevents climbing over a smaller car.

So yeah, the H2 & it's brethern are an affront to style, but they are actually quite safe. They are merely Chevy Silveradoes with a different skin. The H1 (Military Spec) is the only vehicle that can be described as you did. And that is only because it was produced without intention for sale as a consumer vehicle. Only after several years and high demand were they converted over.
also, these "mega" SUV's don't do as much damage to smaller cars as you say. My Insurance Rates for the Expedition are cheaper than it was to cover my 2006 F-150 Supercrew, 2005 Durango, 2005 Mitsu Endeavour, 2000 4Runner, 2005 Kia Sorento

Ford has put alot of thought and design into their vehicles. So has Chevy, Dodge and the other guys.
things are tighter everywhere and on everyone. If these vehicles were that damage heavy, virtually nobody could afford to drive them due to the insurance premiums alone.

With the safety innovations incorporated, the Vehicle Manufacturers are able to appease the Insurance Companies. It sucks paying for Insurance, but in this case, they are actually doing us a favor. Without their pressure, vehicle safety wouldn't be where it is today.
Yeah, SUV's are larger & heavier, but with the newer technologies applied, these things are safe for you and the other guy. Way more than people realize. You should check out the National Insurance Safety Institute. Their testing is quite an eye opener.

We now return to our regular programming.

@ Kingb21
look at this as an opportunity. I cannot remember his name, but a member was recently rear-ended and that pushed him into the SUV infront of him.

he paid the difference, and now is sporting a full GT500 front/rear set of bumpers.

turn a bad situation into good. If they are paying to swap a new bumper, I'd have the Body Shop install a GT500 front clip and pay the $200 difference
Old 10-20-2009, 04:04 AM
Chris45215

Returning to the original poster, you might be able to get parking sensors installed for less-than-usual cost. Or perhaps a front air dam (aka chin spoiler), depending on which part she bumped?

Tylus, very good points and all well made. Much of my argument on impact damage is based on crash tests like one on Youtube entitled "Car Bumper Crashes Are Costly"; it is a very interesting clip
The video description has tons of data; I assume that it is the data from IIHS. The Hummer doesn't drive over the other cars; but its bumper goes over the bumpers of standard sized cars, and causes more damage that way, though perhaps not more injuries.
Though usually accurate, insurance rates are not a perfect indicator of vehicle safety. I am 21 years old, my 2007 mustang is my first car, and my family insurance rate DECREASED when the mustang was added to the insurance plan.

Last edited by Chris45215; 10-20-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:30 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

It can be rather discouraging to recover from one major repair only to turn around and have to face it again. One bit of encouraging words is several of us have had similar instances and been through like situations. Keep your chin up.

As for the comment the lady made in regards to hitting your car.....take it in stride. She obviously has no respect for other's property and absolutely no concept of a car enthusiast's excitement over his or her car.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:47 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sorry to hear that, brother. Bad luck seems to come in spurts. Hopefully yours is over.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:47 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KingB21
"bumpers are called bumpers, for bumping, are they not?" and "its just a car, its not like its a BMW"
Though I would never strike a female, ever, I would have gone to jail if I heard this in person...I woulda taken a 20lb hammer and totally f****d her car up..."hammers are for hammering, are they not?" Nice self control, and sorry to hear about your luck...
Old 10-20-2009, 02:22 PM
rcaponong
1st Gear Member

I hear you about losing faith in people. The longer I live the more things I experience that questions my faith in humanity. When did this slippery slope start?

Hope you get everything straightened out.

Quick Reply: Losing Faith