Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steeda CAI/tune impressions on my 2012 GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Default Steeda CAI/tune impressions on my 2012 GT

Hey guys, I installed a Steeda CAI and tune on my car a couple days ago. As some of you "old timers" will know, I had 07, 09, and 2010 GTs in the past, so I am no stranger to tunes and intakes on these cars. I've tried a few different intakes, and tunes from Bama/AM, Brenspeed, BBR, and now Steeda. All 4 cars have had this modification for at least a little while, before anything more extreme was done.

The fit and finish on the Steeda intake is very good as was expected. The instructions however, suck. Steeda, are you listening? Take a look at the user write-up on the American Muscle website, its much better. The intake sounds beastly on there, definitely enough to bring a smile to your face.

As far as the tune goes, I am VERY impressed! The throttle response and drive-ability of the car are excellent. The car is very... even keel, if that makes sense. It makes more power across the board, and there is just nothing "funny" about it. It is very linear, very predictable, and very consistent. Awesome job Gus. Having tried tunes from all the "usual suspects", I would put this tune in the running for first place for sure. Its easily one of, if not the best I've experienced.

All in all, great job Steeda! You guys have been polite and helpful, and you worked with me on price to sell the kit for a competitive rate as well. Much appreciated, and keep up the great customer service.

Last edited by Mudflap; 07-01-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Looks great, mudflap, and glad to hear how satisfied you are. IIRC, a CAI & good tune gain about 30-40 RWHP on the 5.0.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah the difference is noticeable. I have no plans to dyno the car, but the butt dyno approves, lol.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:25 PM
titanium777

Mudflap - how was your tune experience from Bama? Prefer Steeda?
Old 07-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by titanium777
Mudflap - how was your tune experience from Bama? Prefer Steeda?
In the past, Bama has always been my tuner of choice. Especially on an automatic car (2 of my GTs were auto). Also, American Muscle is one of the best vendors bar none. The only Brenspeed tune that I ever liked was the one they wrote for my Vortech supercharged 09. I never cared for any of their other tunes, but tried them on all 3 of the other cars. That said, when it comes to supercharger packages, they are top notch. Great vendor overall. I tried BBR once for my 2010 GT, and it was the worst of them all. Terrible tune, and they blew me off to boot.

So this time around, I wanted to try something a bit different. Obviously Bama would have been the easy choice, I've loved their stuff in the past... but I didn't want to do yet the SAME thing again. After searching around on various forums, I kept finding really positive feedback on Steeda tunes. The only problem I had was the Steeda CAI/tune combo was significantly more expensive than the AM/Bama package after the 6% AM forum discount. I called Steeda and they priced matched it, so I went ahead and purchased.

Very happy with Steeda! I would also not hesitate to recommend Bama to anyone either. Just go right for their race tune btw, I always found the street and performance tunes underwhelming.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Thanks for choosing Steeda! Glad to hear that you are satisfied with the tune and CAI, we love hearing comments from our customers!

Shoot me a PM if you can describe a little more about why the installation instructions sucked and I will pass along your comments.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:15 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Mudflap,

Thanks for the kind recommendation! We've worked with Steeda a lot in the past and they're good people to deal with. Glad you're happy with their CAI/Tunes. It's always great to see a Mustang Enthusiast happy with their new mods, regardless where they came from!

Shane
Old 07-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Jizz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
Thanks for choosing Steeda! Glad to hear that you are satisfied with the tune and CAI, we love hearing comments from our customers!

Shoot me a PM if you can describe a little more about why the installation instructions sucked and I will pass along your comments.
I have a 2013 GT with the heat extractors. I see the filter box has the weather stripping to seal on the hood, this clears the bump down in the hood insulation correct?

I.E. no fear of sucking in water.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon

PM sent. In a nutshell, the Steeda instructions were more technical, which isn't a bad thing if you're a mechanic... the AM user-submitted instructions had lots of pictures and were very clear and concise for the layperson. It is not an incredibly hard part to install in general of course, almost self-explanatory... the assembly of the CAI unit itself I think is where you can screw up fairly easily in the orientation of the pieces...
Old 07-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
Mudflap,

Thanks for the kind recommendation! We've worked with Steeda a lot in the past and they're good people to deal with. Glad you're happy with their CAI/Tunes. It's always great to see a Mustang Enthusiast happy with their new mods, regardless where they came from!

Shane
No sweat, AM rocks! I bought my mufflers from you guys last week, and already have more goodies on the wish list.

Quick Reply: Steeda CAI/tune impressions on my 2012 GT