Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding sirius to factory radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:45 AM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Default Adding sirius to factory radio

Ok, here's the deal. My 2010 GT is completely base, only option I got was 3.73s. I wanted sirius and HIDs, but didn't want all the BS that came with them. However, the lady just got herself a 2010 Focus SE WITH sirius.

My question is, can I take the module out of it, and plug it into my radio and be good to go? I think the only issue would be with the antennae. On the Focus, it's on the roof built into the base of the AM/FM antennae, on the stangs, its a seperate module on the trunk lid. So in theory, all I would need to do would be track down an antennae, ok, not a big deal there, I've got several sirius antennaes laying around from aftermarket tuners, one of them MIGHT work, if not, I'm pretty sure I can order one from the stealership by itself, and thereby bypass the $400 or so they want to add sirius.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:56 PM
cooooop_ks

I BASICALLY HAD THE SAME QUESTION, HERE WAS ONE OF THE RESPONSES
TO MY POST EARLIER THIS YEAR. I HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO DO ALL OF THIS
YET, BUT HOPE THIS HELPS.

Cooooop_ks
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooooop_ks View Post
Yes, I am interested if you want to try to locate part numbers. I would like
to keep the factory radio look if at all possible. Thanks, Cooooop_KS
Okay, a few things:

**DISCLAIMER: I am not a SDARS expert. Take these suggestions for what they're worth, and perform all self-diagnostic procedures at your own risk. I have no problem helping out, but I am not a substitute for the dealer.

1.) Looking at the service manual, there's a different part number for the ACM depending on whether it's a "single CD (18C869), Satellite Audio (18C815), or 6CD with Nav (18K931)". Something about that last configuration doesn't seem right, but I digress...

To determine your ACM part number, put the radio in AM/FM mode, then press and hold preset buttons 3 and 6 for 3 seconds (a speaker test will begin). Before that test is complete, pressing the #6 preset button will give you the ACM part number, among other configuration details. Press the Tune Up button to scroll through them all. To exit this diagnostic mode, turn the radio off, then back on.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you need a whole ACM replacement or if your ACM can be 're-flashed' to become SDARS-enabled once the antenna hardware is added. If it needs to be replaced, it's not a small or trivial part (see attached picture #1 to see what the ACM looks like). If you can, try to see if your ACM has a SDARS Electronic Serial Number (ESN), indicating the presence of a daughter card. To do this, put the radio in 'satellite radio' mode, then press and hold the AUX button and #1 preset button simultaneously. If an ESN appears on the screen, it would indicate (to me) the presence of a daughter card, and may spare you from replacing the entire ACM.

2.) I can't tell whether or not the transmission cable (from antenna to ACM) is included on ALL vehicle wiring harnesses (and not used in some cases), or if it's ONLY in the harnesses for vehicles with SDARS. In the event of the latter, I've seen demonstrations where the satellite antenna had to be outside, so a single wire (maybe 18 gauge?) was used to connect the antenna to the head unit, and this wire was run out a window/door/etc to get the antenna outside. I say this because the manual doesn't show any part number for a satellite antenna cable--only special front and rear connector cables (see pictures #2 and #3).

3.) In the case of picture #3, the electrical connector seems to be attached to the main wiring harness that services the trunk (the view is from the 'interior' of the vehicle looking back into the trunk). If you can, have a look and see if this connector is present on your vehicle. If it's not, you might be in for a lot of work to make it happen, but a dealer would know best.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!
Attached Thumbnails
2010-w-satellite-radio-acm.jpg 2010-w-satellite-radio-front-cables.jpg 2010-w-satellite-radio-rearcableant.jpg
Old 11-07-2009, 06:49 PM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by smokinAMD
Ok, here's the deal. My 2010 GT is completely base, only option I got was 3.73s. I wanted sirius and HIDs, but didn't want all the BS that came with them. However, the lady just got herself a 2010 Focus SE WITH sirius.

My question is, can I take the module out of it, and plug it into my radio and be good to go? I think the only issue would be with the antennae. On the Focus, it's on the roof built into the base of the AM/FM antennae, on the stangs, its a seperate module on the trunk lid. So in theory, all I would need to do would be track down an antennae, ok, not a big deal there, I've got several sirius antennaes laying around from aftermarket tuners, one of them MIGHT work, if not, I'm pretty sure I can order one from the stealership by itself, and thereby bypass the $400 or so they want to add sirius.
Easiest and cheapest way is to get the satelite radio module that is set to an FM radio frequency. These are just a couple hundred or so and don't require a new radio. The sound quality is not as good since it is essentially re-broadcasted in FM. With lower springs and exhaust mods, though, you might not be able to tell the difference.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

be sure to get an FM Direct Adapter......better sound quality
Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Satellite radio

Look up S.L.P. Electronic. I am going to order their kit to add Sirius to my '06 GT with Shaker 500 radio. It is a factory system. $325 plus $12 shipping.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by notsofast
Easiest and cheapest way is to get the satelite radio module that is set to an FM radio frequency. These are just a couple hundred or so and don't require a new radio. The sound quality is not as good since it is essentially re-broadcasted in FM. With lower springs and exhaust mods, though, you might not be able to tell the difference.
I had an XM receiver that I added to my old car that re-broadcasted in FM. The problem I had is that the FM band is filling up. Often driving between San Diego & Los Angeles the interference from FM Radio stations can be a major source of noise & distortion. I had the Sirius module added to my radio in my base Mustang, and now that most annoying problem is over. I recommend having the Sirius module wired to your radio.

As for taking the module out of your ladies car, I'm 99.9% sure it'll work. If you have an antenna that plugs into the module you'll be good to go, if not go to a car audio store, they'll have the right one.

Last edited by Joenpb; 02-14-2011 at 11:14 PM.