Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay. Educate me. Horsepower question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Originally Posted by Jokeurmnd
Am I the only one that got pissed off at the host when he wrote on the car? It's not a rally car it's a stright lane car. I think most people know that buying the stang
I don't think they do in the UK... they just don't have as many wide open spaces with long stretches of straight road there. I have a friend in Leeds, and when she's in to visit, she always gets a little freaked out about how far it is to get to anywhere in the U.S. and how straight the roads are. LOL

I'll tell you who loves American Muscle and knows what to do with it though and that's the Aussies.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:11 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thedrod
Watch this video.....keep in mind the hosts are very biased against american cars. They bring out a dyno later in the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O46E0gCF5os
According to my calculations, 440RWHP is the advertised 500 crank HP. So he is disappointed for why??
Old 11-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Originally Posted by 2cokeman
According to my calculations, 440RWHP is the advertised 500 crank HP. So he is disappointed for why??
I'm guessing b/c he gets paid to **** on American muscle cars, despite the fact he owns one of the greatest icons of American steel?

I did notice that when he first romps on the GT500 he seems genuinely surprised and even says GOOD GOD! as he's trying to hang onto it. LOL
Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I remember seeing that video a couple years ago I believe. I was like, omg these morons don't know the difference between rwhp and bhp!? Even if they were using it as a way to bash American cars (the only thing I'll ever own personally) they still made themselves look like morons.

It's mostly b/c of that episode is why 99% of the time I never watch any clips from that show.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
I remember seeing that video a couple years ago I believe. I was like, omg these morons don't know the difference between rwhp and bhp!? Even if they were using it as a way to bash American cars (the only thing I'll ever own personally) they still made themselves look like morons.

It's mostly b/c of that episode is why 99% of the time I never watch any clips from that show.
I only made it half-way through that clip and it kept buffering on me - I'll watch it at the office in the morning - But I could already tell I wasn't liking the way it was going. If I remember correct, isn't that guy on the SPEED network on Thursday evenings, something about super cars? If so, yeah, no. I don't like him or his show. Pinks All Out used to be on during that time slot...

I prefered Pinks. Muchly.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:20 PM
MR_Q
1st Gear Member

Ya they for some reason dont know the difference between rwhp and hp. Try not to take them too seriously, and it really is a fantastically fun and hilarious show to watch. The host in the above clip also owns a 69 charger in sublime. He loves American muscle, lol. Europeans just have a different taste in cars.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
I hate those Top Gear guys.
How can you say that? Sure they diss american cars alot, but seriously its probably the best car show on the air. They know the facts, have great cars on the show and make me laugh really ****in hard!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostHorse
I only made it half-way through that clip and it kept buffering on me - I'll watch it at the office in the morning - But I could already tell I wasn't liking the way it was going. If I remember correct, isn't that guy on the SPEED network on Thursday evenings, something about super cars? If so, yeah, no. I don't like him or his show. Pinks All Out used to be on during that time slot...

I prefered Pinks. Muchly.
Your thinking of Tanner Foust from Supercars Exposed...lol they do look kinda similiar though
Old 11-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang
They know the facts.
I've seen 3 full episodes of that show. Every one of them was riddled with mistakes about the cars they were reviewing.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:20 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by GhostHorse
Ahhh. Okay. I see. *nods* That makes sense. Hence the difference between RWHP and HP.

But that leaves me wondering now - on the T-bird, in 68, would the rating of 360 hp really be underrated or would that be more what it actually is after the losses through the drivetrain?
HP ratings are based before drivetrain loss from manufacturer's spec's.
360HP is what the motor makes and after drivetrain loss etc the number is lower for RWHP which is really what moves the car forward. I believe all the car companies have always been HP at the crank and never to the RW's as it costs more to dyno a car then the engine dyno's they have for testing.

Quick Reply: Okay. Educate me. Horsepower question