Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay. Educate me. Horsepower question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:39 PM
inagadadavida

Originally Posted by GhostHorse
Ahhh. Okay. I see. *nods* That makes sense. Hence the difference between RWHP and HP.

But that leaves me wondering now - on the T-bird, in 68, would the rating of 360 hp really be underrated or would that be more what it actually is after the losses through the drivetrain?
Most muscle cars in the late 60's and early 70's were underrated from the factory to help with insurance rates. Alot of cars had more horsepower than was advertised. The more horsepower you had, the higher your insurance would be regardless of the car.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:48 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostHorse

Also, has Ford always inflated the numbers? I ask b/c we have a 68 T-bird with a 429 Thunderjet... and everything I find on that car says, paraphrasing, "As with most cars of the day, Ford seriously UNDER rated it at 360hp."

Sooooo? Did they used to UNDER rate them (for obvious reasons) and now they INFLATE the ratings for sales?
The reason you see so much difference between then and now in HP numbers is that until some time in the 70's, auto makers were allowed to advertise the horsepower their engines made with absolutely nothing driving from the crank and no flywheel and could be done on special test engines. After the change in the 70's, they had to have a flywheel and I think a waterpump. Then, sometime in the late 80's, the numbers became fully dressed, exactly as they would go into a car and had to be repeatable on any engine that was spot pulled from the assembly line.

AS for why they underrated the engine? To keep the insurance companies from wetting their pants and charging people ridiculous rates.

Oh, and for the record... Richard Hammond owns a Challenger SRT8, a 66 390 GT mustang, a GT500 (not the one in that episode) and a new Camaro SS. Jermey Clarkson owns several Vette's and James may even has owned a few American cars. Keep in mind that the BBC recieves most of it's money from the Government, so any show that is not actual news broadcast has a decidedly skewed point of view that anything not British sucks, and everything British is awesome... Add to the fact that none of the have ANY mechanical background and 95% of all the technical info is scripted by writers who don't know much more than they...
Old 11-04-2009, 11:50 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024
I've seen 3 full episodes of that show. Every one of them was riddled with mistakes about the cars they were reviewing.

Exactly. Their knowledge, or lack thereof, in addition to dissing American cars is why I give the one finger salute to those guys.

TBH, if they're not showing muscle cars or hot rods on some show I don't care. Most modern cars I dislike with a passion as well.

I'm A LOT more tolerant with motorcycles though, strangely enough. The only thing I can say I dislike there are scooters. I'm not super keen on Jap bikes, but I like them 1000x more than Jap cars. Ducatis are ok, but every one I've ever heard sounds like it's about to fall apart. Nothing compares to my loud *** 2006 Harley Street Rod though. Opening the throttle on that sounds like a damn dragon roaring. LOL! It sets off alarms when I'm TRYING to be quiet.

Anyway....
Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 PM
MR_Q
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
HP ratings are based before drivetrain loss from manufacturer's spec's.
360HP is what the motor makes and after drivetrain loss etc the number is lower for RWHP which is really what moves the car forward. I believe all the car companies have always been HP at the crank and never to the RW's as it costs more to dyno a car then the engine dyno's they have for testing.
I thought Detroit changed the way they rated hp in 1972 which was a large part of why HP dropped so hard between 71 and 72? I thought I read something about engines requiring they be tested with full exhaust and smog equipment in 72 and prior to that they werent? Any truth to that?

Top Gear is still my favorite show, regardless of factual errors. I watch it because Clarkson is a giant, unapologetic ***, and its just about three guys thrashing the **** out of expensive performance cars and goofing off. How is that not good TV? Where else are you going to see a short British dude flip a jet car at record breaking speed, or a Corvette chasing a Ford Fiesta through a shopping mall?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:10 AM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Only want a Roush if you wanna do your sister eh? English 'Tards.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:39 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

^ huh?
Old 11-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Thanks for the info on HP ratings, new and old - it all makes perfect sense, and I should have realized that the losses are from energy transference, not fabricated numbers, but it never hurts to ask before assuming.

I do have to agree with the fact that the hosts of Top Gear are most likely paid by the British government to **** on American cars. Like I said, it made no sense for the guy w/the classic Bullet to run down the GT500, especially after he exclaimed GOOD GOD! about it. LOL.

And about Europeans having different taste in cars than we do in the U.S. - Just imagine what Fiat, by way of Chrysler, may try to cram down our throats in the coming years.... It hurts to think about it - it's like Budweiser being foreign owned now. It hurts me.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:22 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S281 E
^ huh?
Watch the video posted earlier.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by inagadadavida
Most muscle cars in the late 60's and early 70's were underrated from the factory to help with insurance rates. Alot of cars had more horsepower than was advertised. The more horsepower you had, the higher your insurance would be regardless of the car.
That started about 1968, maybe 1967. Summer of 1968 I picked up a co-op work assignment in an insurance company's "Loss Prevention" department and can pin it down that way. The main magic insurance industry "break point" defining the boundary of "high performance" was 1 HP per 10 lbs. There might have been some support for 12 lbs/HP being the lower limit of "intermediate performance cars", but that didn't attract the industry-wide attention that sub-10 did.

Funny thing was, folks in that business knew (sort of) that some of the ratings were being fudged down, but were incapable of thinking outside the nice simple little 1:10 box by enough to cope with it. Guess they were hoping that loss experience would solve the rate categorization problem for them without burning them too badly in the meantime.

Ghost, I think that 1:10 puts your 429's advertised rating in the proper perspective - I'm guessing that your 'bird weighs in at about 3600 or a bit more. (I'll look it up later as I have a tabulation of the 1968 US Domestic car specs at home).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-05-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

I think we'll be finding it weighs in at just over 4300 lbs! It is a 'fordoor' and loaded out, so it feels pretty cumbersome. LOL Still a fun driver though, and rides smooth as glass. Its just... weird... to look at. Cool - but weird. Looks like the love child of a 1st or 2nd gen Cougar and a hearse.

This from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Th...th_generation)

"The 1968 Thunderbird saw the introduction of the new 385 series big-block 429 cu in (7 L) engines. Like most Ford motors of the time, they were "underrated" at 360 hp (268 kW) for insurance reasons. The Thunderbird motors also got special treatment with wedge style heads, making a significant power increase over their conventional headed brothers. These motors made the cars some of the quickest and fastest ever produced, despite their larger size and heavier body on frame construction. 1968 and 1969 model years saw minor trim changes respectively."

If the T-bird wasn't a survivor car and 97% flawless, my husband would LOVE to yank that 429 out, rebuild it/hop it up, and shoe-horn it into a Mustang. LOL

If you're curious, heres a link to the T-birds Cardomain site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3356060

Last edited by Batenswytch; 11-05-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Okay. Educate me. Horsepower question