Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag incedent in my car last night!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 11:53 AM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rford426
^don't know what nhtsa is but yeah report this to as many ppl as possible airbags can kill ppl easily with a little accident like that!
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. They regulate safety issues with automobiles, like when someone cuts coil springs! lol
Old 11-07-2009, 11:58 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
NHTSA is National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. That is the government agency that investigates safety defects and can order recalls.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov
Thanks! Learned something new today!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:03 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

That definitely is crazy and disturbing...glad everyone's okay.

As for a possible cause, was it raining by any chance? Whenever I hear about electrical issues with these cars, I automatically think "water leak" (and it's sad how often I'm right ).

Good luck with it.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:19 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

I' m glad everyone is okay. It is really scary when a air bag goes off,with all noise going on in a crash not that bad,but one going off bye itself is scary! It is basically a gun shot going off! I remember taking a airbag course a long time ago,we got a airbag and laid it down on the ground and ran wires to a battery about 50 ft away,the air bag shotover 70 ft in the air and set my alarm off in my car 150 yards away! I would think there is a short in the seat,it takes more the one sensor to trigger the air bag to go off!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:42 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
Sounds like a defective airbag. Can you imagine if this had happened with the airbag that is in your steering wheel as you were driving down the road? Ouch.

Piece of advice a lawyer friend gave me; don't ever be in a situation where you are alone with 1 or more young girls as all it takes is an accusation of inappropriate behavior and your life is destroyed. You are guilty until proven innocent in America anymore and my lawyer friend wont even allow his daughters to have sleepovers at his house for this very reason. It's the seriousness of the accusation, not the validity of any proof that gets a lot of people's lives destroyed. He told me that approximately 33% of all convictions for sexual misconduct with underage children, (or whatever the legal term is), are false as the public is in a hysteria/lynch mob mentality. There's a lot of innocent people rotting in U.S. jails. Be careful.

Thank God nobody was hurt.............but holy sh#t that must have been scary!

+1 on the tip....I know somebody whom it happened to.

patrick
Old 11-07-2009, 04:28 PM
RedRider0151
2nd Gear Member

It was completely dry outside, I was doing 35 - 40 mph and the damn thing just blew. No crazy driving, no huge bumps in the road....just driving along. About as crazy as it gets!!! I dropped it off at Ford this morning and the service manager was pretty shocked also. They gave me a crappy assed rent a car and he insisted that ford would be sending out someone to take a look at the car. He had NEVER seen anything like it. It was literally like a shotgun blast going off in the car and then stunk to high heaven. I had no idea what the hell happened as I thought I blew a tire or something...

On the whole girl thing....I have 4 daughters so no way I will not be with them at some point...LOL I am never alone with their friends though...never happen.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

Glad everyone was ok and I bet it was scary as hell... It must have been something freak just like the guy in his car with 3 other people whose gas pedal froze and he crashed going 110 or something. Glad it wasnt bad like that but it could have been worst.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:50 PM
mustang lover 73

I have no idea what happened but there must be a problem for it to be triggered like that please share when you figure it out.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:01 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RedRider0151
It was completely dry outside, I was doing 35 - 40 mph and the damn thing just blew. No crazy driving, no huge bumps in the road....just driving along. About as crazy as it gets!!! I dropped it off at Ford this morning and the service manager was pretty shocked also. They gave me a crappy assed rent a car and he insisted that ford would be sending out someone to take a look at the car. He had NEVER seen anything like it. It was literally like a shotgun blast going off in the car and then stunk to high heaven. I had no idea what the hell happened as I thought I blew a tire or something...

On the whole girl thing....I have 4 daughters so no way I will not be with them at some point...LOL I am never alone with their friends though...never happen.
Well with the being alone with underage girls tip, let's see...I personally know of 3 people that were falsely accused of sexual misconduct, (again, or whatever the proper legal term is), with underage girls. I've read about it in the news frequently too, with men being fortunate enough to be exonerated and released from prison after rotting in there for many years. One story I followed in the news was about a fellow who worked at a day care center and he was checking to see if diapers were wet by putting his hand there, (on the outside of course), and feeling for any wetness. Well all it took was for a young girl to mention this to her parents and the guy was immediately arrested and thrown in jail for child molestation charges. Guilty until proven innocent. I can't imagine trying to mount an affective legal defense of yourself as you are rotting in jail. The case went to trial, twice, with hung juries both times. The District Attorney couldn't prove that the accusations were true, (again, we're now guilty until proven innocent and it's seriousness of the accusations, not the validity of any proof). The news reported that although this guy wasn't convicted he also, "wasn't proven innocent", he lost his job over the matter and no one will hire him. The news article said he spent his life savings on legal fee's and is now destitute. I don't know what ever happened to him as the news articles didn't cover it any further, but that guys life has been destroyed. This also happened to a neighbor of mine who was involved in the middle of a divorce and suddenly a child of the wife from a previous marriage, accused him of this same thing. The guy was immediately arrested and sat in jail for 11 months until he finally spoke with a public defender who put the child on the spot in a meeting with the prosecutor and himself. In 5 minutes it became quite clear the child was lying, the charges were dropped and this poor guy had lost all his personal belongings, (thrown out by his landlord when the guy obviously couldn't pay the rent), his car was impounded and sold at auction, he lost his job and his good name has been ruined for the rest of his life. Another life destroyed. I could go on with other cases I personally know about and have read in the news about. The horrible miscarriage of justice and the abuse of our legal system has just gotten way beyond belief. In Pennsylvania a few weeks back, the news reported two judges who had sent 6,500 17 year old and younger kids to private prisons in P.A., were exposed for taking pay offs from those private prisons for every kid that was tossed into them by these two judges. The state of Pennsylvania vacated every single conviction of those 6,500 kids and I would imagine the class action lawsuit that is sure to come, could totally bankrupt the state of Pennsylvania. 6,500 kids and families lives destroyed, the heart ache, the tears, the suffering is beyond imagination. How many of those poor kids were raped in prison? These two judges destroyed 6,500 lives, almost worse than actually killing someone. The corruption is sickening. WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING TO OUR COUNTRY?!

Sorry to ramble on this, but America has an extremely serious problem going on here and it's getting worse with every passing day. It's beyond upsetting. Our supposed justice system needs a serious overhaul! Until this happens, things like this could happen to any one of us, or our friends, family, etc.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Johnboy7701
Glad everyone was ok and I bet it was scary as hell... It must have been something freak just like the guy in his car with 3 other people whose gas pedal froze and he crashed going 110 or something. Glad it wasnt bad like that but it could have been worst.
If the gas pedal is jammed, can't you just turn the ignition off or shift into neutral?

I've heard several such accounts also, and was wondering why apparently no one did either of those two things. I did hear that when the gas pedal on those cars (not a Ford--don't know what the deal is on Ford) is at WOT, the power assist goes away from the braking system. The car is supposed to be designed so that the brakes have more power than the engine, so you should be able to stop the car even at WOT. But if the engine is at WOT and the power brake assist disappears, good luck.

Since, thankfully, no one was injured in the air bag deployment incident, it's unlikely to get media attention. That's why it's so important to inform NHTSA.

Quick Reply: Airbag incedent in my car last night!!