Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag incedent in my car last night!!

Old 11-07-2009, 08:30 AM
RedRider0151
2nd Gear Member

Default Airbag incedent in my car last night!!

OK, so last night was my daughters birthday party. We end up with 10 girls at a Japenese steak house. I had to drive along with my wife. So I am taking 2 of the guests home and my 13 year old daughter is in the car with me (the wife had all the rest in our expedition). We are cruising along doing 35 - 40 mph on a semi main street about to enter the girls neighborhood when suddenly there is a huge explosion in the car, the smell of sulfur or whatever it is and my 13 year old is in shock. I stop the car in the median, thinking I jsut blew a tire and we are smelling burning rubber as I have no clue what else it could be! I get out of the car as the 3 girls are all crying and I am looking hte car over....no problems outside that I can tell. I open the passenger door to get them out of the car....there is it, the passenger side airbag deployed for no apparent reason!!! On the 2008 Mustang the airbag is built into the seat. How freekin crazy is that!!! I dont know what would have happened if she had been looking out the window, or if we had been in traffic, or if it would have been my 8 year old vice the oldest.....I had at least 100 different scenario's going through my head all night last night. FREEKIN CRAZY!!! Anyone else ever heard of such a thing??? THe manager at Ford dealership was completely shocked too, as all the bags should have deployed, not just the one and he has NEVER heard of it ever happening ever before either. I have searched the few mustang forums I am on and nothing so far.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:37 AM
luvmygt
2nd Gear Member

wow, that is scary. I surf alot of the forums daily (dont post much, just read alot) and i have never heard of that. Im glad no one got hurt. It could have been a really bad situation
Old 11-07-2009, 08:51 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

airbags are very dangerous...glad no on was hurt hope you get it figured out...Thats crazy
Old 11-07-2009, 09:11 AM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

That's a new one to me. When you find out the cause please post it. I'm very curious to know.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Dreamer1
2nd Gear Member

Very scary.. Glad your daughters all right. Sitting here thinking of how that would happen. Airbags are deployed with an electrical charge right?

x2 keep us posted
Old 11-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I am glad that everyone in your car is okay physically, although there is probably some mental upset that is still there.

For your future safety and the safety of others, PLEASE file a report with NHTSA.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:48 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

^don't know what nhtsa is but yeah report this to as many ppl as possible airbags can kill ppl easily with a little accident like that!
Old 11-07-2009, 10:49 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

Saw this video in my EMT class...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir14uz55-vs
Old 11-07-2009, 11:48 AM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a defective airbag. Can you imagine if this had happened with the airbag that is in your steering wheel as you were driving down the road? Ouch.

Piece of advice a lawyer friend gave me; don't ever be in a situation where you are alone with 1 or more young girls as all it takes is an accusation of inappropriate behavior and your life is destroyed. You are guilty until proven innocent in America anymore and my lawyer friend wont even allow his daughters to have sleepovers at his house for this very reason. It's the seriousness of the accusation, not the validity of any proof that gets a lot of people's lives destroyed. He told me that approximately 33% of all convictions for sexual misconduct with underage children, (or whatever the legal term is), are false as the public is in a hysteria/lynch mob mentality. There's a lot of innocent people rotting in U.S. jails. Be careful.

That airbag situation is very dangerous and very unsettling to hear of. I've never liked air bags myself. I wear glasses and to think there is literally a bomb sitting directly in front of my face, just waiting to explode and eject that airbag at 100 mph into the glasses I wear, with my eyes directly behind that of course, is not too comforting of a feeling. Broken shards of glass in the eye don't tend to be too conducive to vision.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

NHTSA is National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. That is the government agency that investigates safety defects and can order recalls.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airbag incedent in my car last night!!