Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second USB port for Sync

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10GTSTANG
Good info, is there a spare 3.5mm jack there too? I use a sansa fuse to listen to my audio books, and I believe it will only work off of the 3.5 mm jack. I'm partial to my fuse, I have listened to 62 audio books on it now, and ont want to change just yet! Any one listen to Graphic audio's Deathlands series?
It looks like the only thing extra down there is the USB port. Maybe see if there's an 3.5mm to USB adaptor?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:20 PM
elmo3000
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
It recognizes the USB slot in the center console as "USB".

If you scroll through the Play menu manually there is no option for "USB 2", just "USB". So if your iPod or music device is plugged into USB 2, you have to verbally tell it to play it.

Now I can charge my phone with USB in the center, and play my iPod in the glove compartment at the same time, instead of having to unplug one to do the other.
Have you thought about doing it the other way round? Using the glove box USB for your phone and keeping the center one for your music device? That way you don't have to voice command the USB2 every time?

I don't have a 2010.... but was just thinking!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:21 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10GTSTANG
Good info, is there a spare 3.5mm jack there too? I use a sansa fuse to listen to my audio books, and I believe it will only work off of the 3.5 mm jack. I'm partial to my fuse, I have listened to 62 audio books on it now, and ont want to change just yet! Any one listen to Graphic audio's Deathlands series?
Found a 3.5mm to USB converter for you. Check out the link below. You'd still need the two sided USB adaptor like shown earlier in the post, but you could plug this adaptor into that and you'd be gold.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Converter.html
Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

I like the idea of leaving a cable in the glove box for charging purposes only, as suggested by elmo3000.

I would probably leave the female end sitting in the glove box. That way I can swap cables depending on the device I want to charge (iPhone vs Blackberry).
Old 02-18-2010, 10:06 AM
elmo3000
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
I like the idea of leaving a cable in the glove box for charging purposes only, as suggested by elmo3000.
Always thinking!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:11 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

I would probably leave the female end sitting in the glove box. That way I can swap cables depending on the device I want to charge (iPhone vs Blackberry).
Yeah, I left the female end in the glove box and my iPod is connected to that. The reason I have the iPod there is because you will never have to touch it, just leave it plugged in and it's out of the way.

With the USB slot in my center console..... I want to use that for my Blackberry because it's easier to access that and I charge my Blackberry all the time. I ran the cord out of the back of the console and on the side of the passenger seat and kinda tucked it away. That way if I need to charge my iPod I can just grab the cord (without having to open the console) and plug it into my Blackberry.

If the blackberry cord is hanging out of the Glove Compartment it would look messier.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
Exactly! I finally got under there tonight and found the second USB slot.
Did you have to remove the glove box? Can you provide additional detail on how you got to the port? Thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

If you used a cable like the one below (link), and dremeled a small square in the glove box, you could make the second USB port look very OEM. You would need to use a second cable to convert USB A to Mini B.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:40 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

If you used a cable like the one below (link), and dremeled a small square in the glove box, you could make the second USB port look very OEM. You would need to use a second cable to convert USB A to Mini B.

You're the man! I have to find out where to get some of those and I'll do that for sure. I was thinking about doing something like that on the side of the center console.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:47 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Did you have to remove the glove box? Can you provide additional detail on how you got to the port? Thanks
Yes, I did have to remove the glove box completely to actually find the box, but now that I know where it is I wouldn't have to remove it completely in order to plug in a cable.....

If you lower the glove box completely, by pushing in on the sides so it can lower all the way, there's a black box on top of where the glove box is (the top of the glove box blocks it if it's not lowered all the way). There's already one cable running out of that box which may make it easier to see. If you feel with your fingers right next to that cable (will be on your right) you will feel where the second port is.

You won't be able to actually SEE the port because it's on the far side of the box, but you can feel it with your fingers.

The way that port is positioned, even with the glove box all the way off and laying on my back facing up toward the glove compartment, I still couldn't actually see the port. I could see an opening where it was, but had to use a mirror to actually SEE the port itself.

Quick Reply: Second USB port for Sync