Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help locating annoying rattling sound!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 02:46 PM
JacksGT2010

Default Need help locating annoying rattling sound!

Hello, long time lurker but first time poster. I'm having an issue with a very annoying rattling sound that the dealer can't seem to locate and was wondering if anyone out there has the same issue or can offer advice on where to look. I have had my GT Premium for a month now and notice when I hit 70 mph there is a rattling sound that seems to be coming from the far left driver's side of the dash near the vent or speedometer. It might even be coming from the driver's side window beneath the side view mirror. Once I drop below 70, it goes away. It sounds like a metallic or glass vibration. Almost similar to when a large jet flys overhead and you hear the windows vibrating at work/home.

The dealer had it all day yesterday and said they removed the door panel, steering column, etc and tightened/zip tied everything they could find and took it on multiple freeway trips. They claimed they fixed the problem when they discovered a slightly loose lining under the fender. They said they taped or attached it more securely and the problem disappeared. At first, I thought it was fixed but when I hit 80, the noise came back. At least it bumped from 70mph to 80mph, but still annoying. I'm doubting they actually found the problem. I will be ecstatic if anyone here can offer advice. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:56 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Did they check to make sure your driver side window is sealing properly after being shut? Mine is making a noise when driving of rougher road surfaces too, or when i step on it and the exhaust puts more vibrations into the cabin ive rolled my window down and it stops! Ive also pushed on my glass and it stops so im thinking ill have to take it into the dealer! Im thinking I might of shut my door to hard and knock something loose in the window!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:03 PM
JacksGT2010

They claimed they looked at the window, but who knows how closely. I do think mine is sealing properly. The vibration is there even when I let off the gas. The sound can't be duplicated on rough roads either. Only on highway at 70-80 mph. I will try pushing on the glass to see if it stops. If it is my window, it would have to be down inside the door and up in the area closest to the vent/side mirror. I can't fit my head in there to pinpoint it while on the road. Thanks...I will check though.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:06 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Yea do that and let us know what you get mine is defiently coming from inside my driver side door!
Old 12-04-2009, 07:54 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I had a similar rattle that was actually on my passenger side. It turned out to be the window switch plate. They removed, added some foam and it disappeared. They even did the same to my drivers side while they had it.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Heliguy77
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
I had a similar rattle that was actually on my passenger side. It turned out to be the window switch plate. They removed, added some foam and it disappeared. They even did the same to my drivers side while they had it.
I had the EXACT same problem! The radio up loud made it even worse. They took both door panels off and used foam, and the rattle is gone.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:32 PM
JacksGT2010

Thanks guys. I will definitely mention this to the dealer next week.
Jackie
Old 12-04-2009, 08:33 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

+1 with very similar noise on passenger side.

Good info in this thread; maybe I'll get to the bottom of it now.
  • Thought it was the airbag cover, no. Pressing on it, and the sound continues.
  • The GF thought it was the seatbelt flapping when not engaged (since we couldn't hear it when she was riding shotgun.) So I engaged the seatbelt while the seat was empty, and sound continued.
  • Thought it had something to do with passenger side speaker, but I'm guessing that's not it since it happens when radio is off (which is actually the only time I can hear it. So this differs from Heliguy77's report of it being louder w/radio on. Hmmm.....)
Guess I'll have to convince the dealer to open up my passenger side panel/window switch plate.

Edit to say: It only happens at speeds above 50-60 mph or so.

Last edited by 7up; 12-04-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:36 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

There is a TSB out on the rattle... Sorry I don't know the number of it off the top of my head....
Old 12-04-2009, 08:41 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
There is a TSB out on the rattle... Sorry I don't know the number of it off the top of my head....

TSB 09-12-7 (I have 'em cataloged)

Tick/pop/snapping/buzz noise from door panel when operating audio system - vehicles built before 1-May-2009

But since mine definitely happens whilst audio is off, doesn't apply here. Also I have a build date post the TSB specification.

Last edited by 7up; 12-04-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Corrected TSB number; Added exact wording to TSB title

Quick Reply: Need help locating annoying rattling sound!