Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "I have a question about my sync" and "tips and tricks about sync" thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 12:33 PM
cgm10gt

Default The "I have a question about my sync" and "tips and tricks about sync" thread

Dunno if this has been done yet, but lets pool our knowledge here. How about a thread based on sync problems, questions and answers. Maybe we can get some good info for people wanting to get answers about their sync system.

Ill start.

Question: Can I leave my USB mp3 player plugged in all the time or do I need to unplug it when I exit the car?

Tips/tricks: For users with the Sandisk sansa fuze mp3 player. When I first got mine, I couldnt get it to play any music. Sync kept telling me that the device would not play protected music and such. The music I had on it was CD's that I ripped using windows media player. I called ford sync and they told me that windows media player files (as well as files if you were to rip the music via rhapsody) are considered protected content files, and thus cannot be played.....unless you make a change in your mp3 player.

The fix is this: go into the settings on your mp3 player, and then choose the system settings, and under that will be "usb settings". Under this section there will be some options, one of them being "auto detect" and another being "MTP", choose this setting, then go back out to your car and plug it in and you will now be able to access the music on this device through sync.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

I leave my extra iPod attached at all times. Once in a while I have to resync it to the system when it dosnt show up.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:57 AM
cgm10gt

Thanks xcelsius. I was just worried that leaving it connected might cause the device to keep pulling power even when the car was off, thus causing drain on the car battery.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cgm10gt
Thanks xcelsius. I was just worried that leaving it connected might cause the device to keep pulling power even when the car was off, thus causing drain on the car battery.
It wont charge the ipod when the car is off. If you dont run your car daily it might be an issue since the ipod would sit dormant for some time without being charged during driving. Other then that, if you drive enough I think you would end up like me where its mostly plug it in and forget.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Question: Is there a way on sync to skip the initial screen. Like when you hit the button it says, "phone, climate, radio...". Is there a way I can just hit the button and say "call Bob at work". Or do I have to say "phone" then wait for the second screen to come up and then say "call Bob at work"
Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 AM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lax07
Question: Is there a way on sync to skip the initial screen. Like when you hit the button it says, "phone, climate, radio...". Is there a way I can just hit the button and say "call Bob at work". Or do I have to say "phone" then wait for the second screen to come up and then say "call Bob at work"
Yes, just hit the sync button on your steering wheel twice and it will skip right to listening.

though, if you are currently using USB and want to swtich to phone you will have to hit it twice, say phone, then hit it once and say "call bob at work"

still faster than sitting thoruhg the prompts when you alredy know what to say.

Last edited by SirDrums; 12-07-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:16 AM
dconfer
1st Gear Member

Or you could turn off the prompts like I did. You hit the button and it goes right to listen.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Where is that option found?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:23 AM
dconfer
1st Gear Member

I will have to look dont remeber. I dont have my car with me today getting the rear louvers fixed again. They keep coming off.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Zily

I've been using my iPhone with my 2010. 2 questions:

1) It automatically wants to do bluetooth when I get in my car. Every time I get in the car, I plug in the phone to USB and have to select "Sync USB" to switch it to use my USB option. (I prefer USB so I can switch songs using the steering wheel buttons). Is there any way to have it default to USB instead of bluetooth so I can just plug it in and it will start playing the music there?

2) Last night I added a lot more music to my phone and I believe iTunes had me do an update for my phone. Bluetooth still works in my car but whenever I say "Sync USB" (As of today only, never seen this before" it says "no media files" Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: The "I have a question about my sync" and "tips and tricks about sync" thread