Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New From Michigan(am I crazy?)

Old 12-09-2009, 11:35 AM
bigstick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by usmarinemuscle
My question is, am I completely nuts in wanting buy a Mustang? It is winter and the snow will be here. I have heard very bad reviews about snow vs the stang. So I'd like to hear some exp/ opinions on the matter from the experts. Thanks!
I drove my '99 from Midland to Lansing twice per week for 3 years while going to grad school. Never went in the ditch or had a fender bender. You just have to drive a little slower and a little more carefully.

Slow and careful in a Mustang. Easier said than done, right? :-)

I put my '06 away for the winter just last week because I'm lucky enough to have a car I could use as a beater. Though, I wouldn't have any concerns about driving it if necessary.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:52 PM
usmarinemuscle

thanks for the replies, i am looking at one now ,also priced some tires out. The blizzaks 109/each from belletire with discount. I'll post pics up soon!

And yeah 4x4 ram vs ice = loss lmao
Old 12-10-2009, 05:23 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
If you DO buy the Stang for the winter, invest in a lot of Jockey shorts.
Once you go mustang, you never go back. If you can though, you might want to invest in a beater like everyone else mentioned. I used to live up in Wisconsin so I know what the snow is like in that region. I'm down in Maryland now so it don't snow as much. When I slipped on ice though last Sunday, I was more angry than scared, but it sure wasn't too much fun, aside from doing tailspins lol. Just be careful. I haven't driven through snow yet with my mustang, but when it's going to snow again, I'm going straight to home depot and I might have to stash a pair in the glovebox lol.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:02 PM
5TH

I'm late on the topic but welcome to MustangForums. I'm from Michigan currently in Los Angeles for 3 years, but I'm coming back to Detroit in a month or two for good.

GO BLUE!! lol
Old 12-12-2009, 09:10 AM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

Welcome aboard....Buy the mustang!!

This will be my 3rd winter with my stang. I don't put weight in the trunk and I run the stock Pirelli tires and I've never had a bit of problems and I'm in OH so our winters aren't much different than yours.

I agree on 2 points, 1..nothing can stop on ice and 2..your driving ability in the winter has just as much, if not more, to do with getting from point A to point B as the car you drive.

I like the idea of a winter beater car but I've just never gotten around to it. For me a winter beater isn't because the stang can't get around because I've proven that it can. My only reason for a winter beater would be to keep my stang clean and protected from the salt and away from ice like what already happened to you.

G/L and keep us posted... oh and we like pictures!!
Old 12-12-2009, 12:11 PM
5TH

I agree, I will probably be moving back to Michigan late January or early Feb and of course I've been spoiled by Los Angeles for the last 3 years. But that isn't to say I haven't dealt with bad traffic. Living out here, I see why "road rage" was invented here. You really have to be on the defense out here. I've always been a great winter driver in variety of cars, however this will be my first with a car that really has some power and RWD. But i'm confident I'll be able to handle it. Can't wait to get back home!!
Old 12-12-2009, 01:17 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

I live in Idaho and we get a ton of snow here but I get around just fine. Get the mustang you wont regret it
Old 12-13-2009, 07:10 AM
usmarinemuscle

yep I got it, i'll get some pics.

06. it's not the 8.. I know most will laugh but hey. I go the 4.0 pony package deal. Custom red leather seats/interior is and the 27,000 mileage is what made me go with that 1. Its got all the premium upgrades. I am going to pay it off at tax time and might invest in a more hot rod type stang. Non the less 'm happy. I drove it right to the shop after i got it nd put 4 blizzaks on it lol.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:06 AM
bigscott
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by usmarinemuscle
yep I got it, i'll get some pics.

06. it's not the 8.. I know most will laugh but hey. I go the 4.0 pony package deal. Custom red leather seats/interior is and the 27,000 mileage is what made me go with that 1. Its got all the premium upgrades. I am going to pay it off at tax time and might invest in a more hot rod type stang. Non the less 'm happy. I drove it right to the shop after i got it nd put 4 blizzaks on it lol.
I drive an 05 v6 myself i just put two toyo observes in the rear and my car handles MUCH better in the snow. Its amazing the difference it makes.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:31 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Dont let anyone talk **** cuz it is 6. If you are happy that is all that matters! It is a mustang. And good choice on the tires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New From Michigan(am I crazy?)