Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New From Michigan(am I crazy?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 09:49 PM
usmarinemuscle

Default New From Michigan(am I crazy?)

Hey all, I'm joining these forums because I am thinking about purchasing a mustang 2008-2009. I just wrecked my ram pickup on black friday on black ice lol. It was a 2002, and they gave me 10500 for it. I am left with 8300 after pay off.

The am I crazy title is in regards to my question. It is to my understanding that all Mustangs are RWD. As most know Michigan isn't too light on the snow in the winter...

My question is, am I completely nuts in wanting buy a Mustang? It is winter and the snow will be here. I have heard very bad reviews about snow vs the stang. So I'd like to hear some exp/ opinions on the matter from the experts. Thanks!

And Semper Fi!
Old 12-06-2009, 10:06 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Welcome! Where in MI are you at? I'm in the Canton/Plymouth area.

To answer your questions, Mustangs (especially the newer ones) will do just fine in the snow with the right tires, and a little weight in the trunk. Obviously they won't be spectacular, but they'll do just fine with snow tires and weight in the rear. I drove mine the first winter i had it with a set of Blizzaks, and a 100lbs. of sand in the trunk, and it did awesome. And yes...all Mustangs are RWD.

Sorry to hear about your truck btw! Where did you hit black ice?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:50 PM
usmarinemuscle

I was getting off work in Ann Arbor. I was on the bridge at south state near the eastbount 94 on ramp. I was going aproxx 22-25 mph. It involved 9 cars, I was the last one in it. I slid probably 50 ft or so. No chance to stop at all. Even the rescue vehicle almost hit my rear end when he slow rolled up lol. The bad thing was I smacked into an old steel body f150.. and since he was pushed against a few other vehicle, well no give lol.

I live in belleville btw.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:05 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Wow...that sucks lol! I put mine away a few days ago, because i had a feeling even if we didn't see snow right away, we might see ice lol.

Yeah the newer stangs (2005 and up) do pretty decent in the snow. They have better weight distribution and suspension.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:10 PM
usmarinemuscle

alright, thanks for the advice. Now I am just waiting to see if state farm will jack my rates up. They have been great so far. prior to this i only paid 82 dollars a month, full cvg. I've never had a ticket or anything prior to this. I am almost 29. I heard they probably won't. If not then it's 2008 or 2009 GT in my lot.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:16 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

That's almost exactly what i pay a month for my stang through Progressive. That's with no points either.

I wish you the best of luck man! Keep us posted.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:28 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Your not crazy at all. Buy the stang and then buy a beater for the winter time. I am looking to move to the mountains with lots of snow, but I am keeping the 05 and just gonna buy an older 4wd pickup. If you can swing the payments for both, then that is my recommendation.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:46 AM
usmarinemuscle

thanks for the best wishes. and yeah i'll keep you guys posted. Buying a 2nd car is a good option as well. If not I am going to go with some winter tires and a few sand bags lol.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:46 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Yes, you are crazy for living in Michigan... LOL jk
Old 12-07-2009, 06:54 AM
7STANG
99GTverts minion

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
Yes, you are crazy for living in Michigan... LOL jk

LOL - but you are probably right!

Welcome to the Forums neighbor!

Quick Reply: New From Michigan(am I crazy?)