Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are blowers such a ripoff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 12:51 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Boost prices are stupid high for the S197.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:59 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I prob wouldn't have gone with the whipple HO at its price now. It was much more reasonable when I bought mine over a year ago for $5275 shipped.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:04 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Thats why im going to buy a vortech head unit and make everything else myself. Injectors are around 300 for a set of 60# little more for a BAP, and then tubing is cheap and an intercooler (air to air) isnt very expensive either. Then I just need the mounting bracket, belt, and blow off. Should be around 1500, im hoping for
Old 12-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Add these parts up:

Intercooler, heat exchanger, GT500 pumps with wiring and FPDM, 39lb injectors, CUSTOM manifold, CUSTOM water crossover, CUSTOM low profile fuel rail psi sensor adapter, HT0 plugs, Gates 147 belt, Idler pulley, misc hoses, thermostat.

I can ballpark $2300 without adding in the custom manifold, crossover, and fuel rail adapter.
Exactly, there's tons of parts beyond the blower itself. Intercooler pump is one not mentioned, plus the custom CAI enclosure, air filter, plus all the custom rubber tubing for the intercooler system, all the hardware, clamps, specific brackets etc. These are low volume application-specific parts that take money to design and manufacture but will never been sold in high volumes. Hence the profit on each kit needs to be high to cover the low volume. I really don't think these kits fly off the shelves, 99.9% of all Mustang GTs are not supercharged.

I almost forgot the tuner included with the whipple kit that gets air mailed overnight to your house.

Bottom line, the small stuff adds up fast.

Finally, the twinscrew is the most complicated and expensive blower to manufacture. Centrifugal blowers are simple by comparison.

Then add gauges, new tensioners, new clutch......this isn't a poor man's hobby. But it's worth every cent in the end

Last edited by Vapour Trails; 12-10-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I guess good thing I won't be getting a blower, if at all, until a year or two after the 302 comes out. Maybe the price will drop down a grand or two for the nicer kits once they start putting their efforts into the new engine.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:37 PM
68ss350
2nd Gear Member

The reason for the price is because they can and they do sell them for these prices.... It's how the world runs my man. If nobody would pay that price, then they wouldn't sell any blowers, then they would go out of business. This is basic economics. As long as people are willing to buy this **** for crazy money, Whipple will continue to PWN all of it's customers. It is retarded because you can buy a slightly used GT500 for 34K, which is superior in every way, shape, and form. Just sell your GT and buy a shelby, prob a better investment!
Old 12-10-2009, 03:55 PM
08LegndShelbyGT

you just have to remember that you are spending money you dont have, to buy parts you dont need, to show off for people you dont know. haha you gotta pay the cost to be the boss!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:11 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Parts for vehicles that are NOT AS in demand as a current will always be cheaper. They have made their money while it was hot and now they just want to get the product out off their shelves and into peoples cars who either bought them used, didnt have the big money when the car was current, or didnt want to mod when they had warrant or a little extended warranty.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:52 PM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

Its pay to play brother. Go fast and be broke or stay stock and dream... you all know the route I went. Just try and not look at the bank statement....
Old 12-10-2009, 05:45 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
You don't need a custom manifold for the terminator's whipple? Some of the stuff you listed is also cheap as hell.
No, just a midplate.

There was a time when I was going to fab up my own intercooler system. What I found out was I couldn't do it cheaper than buying from Whipple. Custom parts cost money.

My ballpark estimate was as follows:

Intercooler, heat exchanger, hoses, reservior, pump, wiring $1100
Injectors, Fuel pumps, FPDM, Wiring $1000
HT0 plugs, Belt, Thermostat, Wiring, Hardware, Misc. $200

The manifold is huge, I have no idea what custom castings cost which is why I didn't try to ballpark them. Both the manifold and crossover are custom pieces. So are a variety of mounting brackets.

All I'm trying to do is answer your question about why a 2005+ kit costs more than a Cobra kit.

In the end it's always what the market will bear. Whipple is still hiring people and bringing new products to market so I would assume they are selling products.

Quick Reply: Why are blowers such a ripoff?