Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood lifting at high speeds.....

Old 04-28-2012, 10:30 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Wow, I'm surprised people are still having this issue. A speeds over 100 mph, I noticed my hood starting to shake but never lifting.
I cannot tell if it actually does, but it never will come up an inch.

The OP has something wrong with his. And where is the lift? On the front? Or at the back of the hood just in front of the windshield?
If the front, he needs to fix his latch. That or as already said, adjust the rubber stops.
If the back of the hood, his hinges need adjusting. Or replacing if they are worn out/broken
Old 05-02-2012, 04:49 PM
bloodybobber

The front and rear of the hood stays put because of the latch and hinges. The lift occurs in the middle of left side of the hood don't know about the right. What I have noticed is the inner and outer panels of my hood slide on each other. With the hood open the corners will rack 6'' or more if you support it on either corner. Is that normal? My experience with hoods is they are crimped and spot welded around the edge and bonded on center braces making a solid hood. Are factory hoods welded or bonded? Without the inner and outer joined its a floppy mess. I did not have an issue with orignal hood but Progressive installed an aftermarket replacement.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

My hood bounces pretty badly around 130mph. It's unsettling for sure. I fully intend to pick up these hood pins the next time I'm at the shop:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...mounts-05.html
Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bloodybobber
The front and rear of the hood stays put because of the latch and hinges. The lift occurs in the middle of left side of the hood don't know about the right. What I have noticed is the inner and outer panels of my hood slide on each other. With the hood open the corners will rack 6'' or more if you support it on either corner. Is that normal? My experience with hoods is they are crimped and spot welded around the edge and bonded on center braces making a solid hood. Are factory hoods welded or bonded? Without the inner and outer joined its a floppy mess. I did not have an issue with orignal hood but Progressive installed an aftermarket replacement.
I would have the body shop that did the work look at that hood. Sounds like a bad hood..............
Old 07-18-2012, 07:38 PM
bloodybobber

I took the stang back to Progressive consierge center and explained problem. They didn't quire understand untill we walked out and opened the hood. Their opinion was " That's just not right " and gave me a Mazda 6 rental and are taking it back to the shop. Here's hoping!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:26 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

Simple solution....HOOD PINS!!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by bloodybobber
I took the stang back to Progressive consierge center and explained problem. They didn't quire understand untill we walked out and opened the hood. Their opinion was " That's just not right " and gave me a Mazda 6 rental and are taking it back to the shop. Here's hoping!
Hey bloodybobber -

Please keep an eye on it after your 'Stang has been repaired. Remember this link when you want to save on routine service at one of our dealers: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...iceCouponsPage. Let me know how it goes!

Type to you soon,

Thomas
Old 07-19-2012, 03:05 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gothamems
Simple solution....HOOD PINS!!!!
+1. They solved my problem. http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...mounts-05.html

Old 10-12-2012, 09:41 AM
bloodybobber

Default lifting or dancing hoods

well all they did was raise the rubber snubbers up till the hood was virtually uncloseable. I had to lower them back down so I would not damage the hood slamming repeatably to get it to latch and used paper method to balance them. It does not rise quite like it did at speed but now dances or flutters side to side. I still believe the problem is inner and outer panels not bonded together is the problem. Are factory hoods bonded or spot welded together?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:15 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

+1 for hood pins.
Even with my hood pins, when I hit about 150 I can hear them squeaking from all the wind. Will definitely fix your problem though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood lifting at high speeds.....