Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mustang Owner, Must have's

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Dreamer1
2nd Gear Member

Cool New Mustang Owner, Must have's

I'll be picking up my new ride in a week or so. I have an ongoing mental list of must have car care products and things I'm going to need..

First I don't have a garage.. So this is a must, Shelter Logic

Car Cover.. Don't have a clue any suggestions for a good one?

Detailing supplies:
Have a lot of different stuff for detailing but I know there will be a whole new bunch of stuff for this being bought.

Oil:
And last but not least, thinking about breaking in the new engine.. I'm stuck on reading the articles about hard versus manufactured break in on the motor.. My logic says oil change in the first 500 to a 1000 miles .. There is one comment in all this that keeps sticking with me.. They mention going conventional motor oil to coat the cylinders to start.. So I'm thinking first oil change, go with a good conventional motor oil. Then switch to synthetic after that?

Will probably be going with Amsoil.. Nothing like a Shady caricature to get you started on the good stuff!

So whats a good conventional oil to start with? Comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks as always for your comments and feedback..

Yours on MF

Dreamer1
Old 12-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Good call on the "shelter" - I'd use that and fore go a car cover. From my experiences a car cover is more of a hassle than anything - and you can easily scratch or micro-mar the paint taking it on and off repeatedly.

I changed my oil at 1,000 miles and went straight to Full Synthetic. Are you sure the car comes with conventional oil and not a synthetic blend?

I'm fairly **** with car detailing. Here are the products I use:

Wash: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine
Wax / Sealant: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
Quick Detailer: Wolfgang Quick Detailing Sprintz
Vinyl / Rubber / Cladding: 303 Aerospace Protectant (Interior, Exterior, and Engine Compartment)
Leather Cleaning: A damp (water) microfiber towel. You can use a 16:1 Woolite solution for more aggressive cleaning
Leather Conditioning: Pinnacle Leather Conditioner
Leather Protection: 303 Aerospace Protectant
Tires: Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel (dilute 2:1 with water - lasts forever!)
Windows: Zep Glass/Tinted Window Cleaner (has no ammonia, safe on tint)
Towels (Washing / Quick Detailing): Cobra Super Plush Deluxe Microfiber
Towels (Drying): Cobra Guzzler HD Gold Waffle Weave
Towels (Buffing): Cobra Indigo Microfiber Polishing Cloth

Last edited by Adam; 12-16-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Dreamer1
2nd Gear Member

Cool

AJ thanks for putting in the time to post all that. Next couple weeks I'll put in the time and do some product research on what you posted..

Car cover.. What I'm thinking is trying to keep the sun off it a little bit while I'm parked at work. I live in Calif, IE outside of LA. It's the desert and gets hot as hell out this way in the summer.. Sun is a killer on cars from what I hear... but I hear you in regards to the pain in the *** factor and the scratching.. ;-)

Not to sure what the factory puts in it as far as oil is concerned.. Will Look into it...

Yours on MF

Dreamer1
Old 12-16-2009, 06:03 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Factory oil is a synthetic blend. My dealer recommended waiting till 7500 miles or so before switching to full synthetic
Old 12-16-2009, 06:12 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

A dashcover might be good for when you park outside for long periods of time.

See this review:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2010...my-review.html

Last edited by 7up; 12-16-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 PM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

I run motorcraft systhetic blend in everything ecept my hot rod, I run VR50 in it. Eraythang I've torn town with Motorcraft has been clean inside.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10GTSTANG
I run motorcraft systhetic blend in everything ecept my hot rod, I run VR50 in it. Eraythang I've torn town with Motorcraft has been clean inside.
Why synthetic blend over full synthetic?
Old 12-17-2009, 01:25 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I now have 500 miles on my new toy. It will be getting an oil change tomorrow. I will be using full synthetic for the change. There are many vehicles (Corvette, Mercedes, Audi, etc) that come factory filled with full synthetic.

On the break in method, I just drive it like I drive it. Yes, I drive fairly agressive, so I for sure have done some more than a few full throttle runs, burnies, red lines, etc already. But I have also driven like a gandma back and forth to work and driven both 50 and 90+ on the freeway for extended periods. I don't really think it matters much IMHO.

On the car care stuff, I think I will just bow and defer to AJ 68 on that

+1 on the dash cover. I am in the IE as well and the dash cover will help protect the dash in the hot sun out here.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:20 AM
Dreamer1
2nd Gear Member

Cool

FastDew, I love your car dood.. Those rims are sick.. Got a guy that is right around the corner from us, does muscle cars.. has a T.V. show on the speed chanell.. Going to go by his place and see what I can get worked out for some paint.. I haven't a clue but I keep coming back to a touch of red with the Metalic Silver color I'm getting... Should look nice...

Thanks for the replies guys

12 hour shift tonight 2 to 2... Time to go home

Yours on MF

Dreamer1
Old 12-17-2009, 06:47 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

I consider these one of the first "must haves". The hideous air bag warnings stick out like a sore thumb. Several different styles.

http://www.grabberpony.com/index.php...d&productId=29

Quick Reply: New Mustang Owner, Must have's