Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doug at BamaChips???

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 11:35 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Doug is a great guy and a class act. His tuning is top notch and he knows his $hit. Give him a little slack/time and you wont be disappointed. This was posted by him in another site explaining his situation:

BamaChips apology to my customers...

Hey guys,

I've just needed to talk to everyone and truly say I'm sorry for the way my business has been over the few months. I wanted to give you a explanation of a few things and let you all know where I've been, what's been going on and why things are the way they are at Bamachips for now. I'm not a person that tells much, if anything, about my personal life, especially on a public forum, so please bear with me here, this is hard for me.

First, it all started when my wife felt neglected because of all the time I was spending on the business and announced that if things didn't change she was going to leave me. To make more time with her I hired a few guys to help but even with that I was still overwhelmed with business. I would work all day either on the phone or dyno and then afterwords come in and start on emails and other projects. We had discussed my time at the business for a bit and she understood the way I was, if I couldn't be a major part of it then I couldn't run it. My point has always been the only way one can control the quality of the work is to do it yourself. Even with the help I had, they didn't understand what I did or truly weren't as interested as much as I was in refining the tunes, especially the automatic's. Most of them were here to do the 9-5 thing and leave. Caleb was by far my best but he had to leave in midsummer to start college.

Then the bottom fell out, she took my son one day and just up and left. We did some arguing on the phone and the legal battle was something else. I got my six year old son back but I was doing a tremendous amount of travel going from dyno day to dyno day. The judge and courts saw it more fitting for her to have him then me. That was a huge blow to me but I do want what's best for my son so, for now, that’s the way it is. I do still see him on weekends and holidays, but I miss him very much.

The sheer exhaustion from dealing with court, lawyers, and the business was tremendous so I hired in another employee that I thought would be the answer because he had worked for me before. The first time he worked for me he just up and left though, so I had talked with him about that and he knew It was on my mind. He did seem to be different and had just been laid off of his job so I figured he'd be a good choice because he was familiar with the software and tuning already. He also had a 2001 Cobra that was on it's last leg with a dead misses on a few cylinders. I agreed to help him with that too. We swapped in a 3v from a 2007 GT and got it all going very nicely. This was using my garage and tools completely, I stuck my neck out for him with a few vendors, Chris@BBR mainly, and got him some prototype parts that were needed for this swap to be done. I paid for most of the parts while we worked out payment either from his paycheck a little at a time or some other things around the shop like computer work and such. Got his car running really well and I thought he would appreciate my effort, but he split faster than spilt milk, taking a few parts and owing me some money. When I got back to doing everything myself again I found missed emails and general bad stuff that he had done. I've had to sell quite a few things and even move out of our office back into my home office to help catch things back up to normal. Unfortunately this includes my prize 05' Roush Mustang but hopefully things will be better again and I'll get another when they do.

Guys, I promise I'm working on catching everything up.

Finally, I had gotten a call in late July from my Mom telling me we needed to talk. I go see her and she tells me that she has breast cancer and has had it for a while. She says that they are talking about surgery and have to start with Chemotherapy beforehand. Each time I go to see her she starts giving me things out of her house like she's expecting the worst. I'm trying to keep her spirits up. She's had a few sessions now and each time I have to go to her place and help her with her life and normal dealings. She and my dad split when I was young and she's never remarried so it's just her, me and my younger sister, who has had her own problems. I've been paying my mom's bills including her internet service so I can answer emails while I'm there from time to time. She's scheduled for surgery soon, I truly hope all goes well so she'll be good for the holidays. Please be sure to support any pink ribbon services, you don’t know how hard it can affect you until it hits you. Our pastor has been very supportive and helped me alot to come to grips with things. I'd appreciate everyone's prayers for my mom and our family.

In short, all these personal problems haven't had any effect on the quality of my products but have had a major impact on my overall quality of service. That's what my business was built on, my customer service. Sure, I may not have a huge building or sell 100's of products, but I always try to treat every customer the way I would want to be treated if I were buying something. I'm truly sorry for the delay in filling orders but even more so the poor customer response I've been giving. I know everyone out there works as hard as I do to support their family and their lives and my business is nothing more than a accessory on an already great product, that is, anything from Ford.

So many of your have been so patient and understanding, even when you didn't know why my service was slipping. All I can say is thank you for your support and that my service will be outstanding again, starting now.

Douglas Studdard
Old 12-18-2009, 08:58 AM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xcelsius
I ordered my intake and tunes at the end of October. I got my stuff December..11th i think it was. Thing is he put the wrong tunes in the programmer. I emailed him since thats the only way he has. A day or so after that he replied to an email i had sent twelve days prior. So i guess he will find my need for the right tunes after Christmas. Im willing to give wiggle room for personal problems, but even if his tunes end up shooting gold from my A/C vents, this will have been a very bad experience.
This is discouraging, however I am still in the camp that says I'm waiting for a very good product and will wait for it from him. However, given that we have to wait, we shouldn't be getting the wrong tunes sent. I'd rather have him slow down more and get the right tunes on the first download.

X, how did you know that he sent the wrong tunes? I'm still new at this, but from what I saw with my tunes from brenspeed, there is only a short name of the tune file - there was no description somewhere of exactly what the tune file is. Did you just load it and the car didn't run or??? Very curious here.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I sent an email the other day asking a question and got a response the next day. I was hoping that was a good sign. I just picked up a intake and tuner from the classifieds and was really looking forward to getting bama tunes (especially since they are running a 3 tune for $99 special). But patience is not one of my virtues.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:24 AM
riskyfool
1st Gear Member

I ordered a C&L intake and tuner combo on 12/5. I also emailed him and did receive a response a couple days later. It said that he is waiting on a delivery of the intakes and expects that they will be in very soon.

After reading the post about all of his problems, I can see that he must be very overwhelmed. Of course I would like to have this by Christmas, but given the circumstances I am willing to wait.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Those are some low blows he has taken. I have no doubt it will be worth it. All stuff aside im not worried at all! case closed...thanks for the responses and experiences, now i just can wait til it comes in!!! Now I get to have 2 Christmas's!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 06:34 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Trust me, the JLT combo I got back in the days with his race tune was unreal. Couldnt believe whhat a difference a tune could make. Best bang for the buck. And if you have an auto, I heard its an even more kick in the a$$ .
Old 12-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06
Trust me, the JLT combo I got back in the days with his race tune was unreal. Couldnt believe whhat a difference a tune could make. Best bang for the buck. And if you have an auto, I heard its an even more kick in the a$$ .
Yeah i have an auto, but i ordered it with the C&L. Im sure it'll change my car completely!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by laterider
This is discouraging, however I am still in the camp that says I'm waiting for a very good product and will wait for it from him. However, given that we have to wait, we shouldn't be getting the wrong tunes sent. I'd rather have him slow down more and get the right tunes on the first download.

X, how did you know that he sent the wrong tunes? I'm still new at this, but from what I saw with my tunes from brenspeed, there is only a short name of the tune file - there was no description somewhere of exactly what the tune file is. Did you just load it and the car didn't run or??? Very curious here.
I plugged the tuner into the computer to get power to it, then I checked the tunes that were loaded. All 93 instead of the 91 I need. I'm glad I checked it before I wasted time changing the intake.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:53 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Another thing to keep in mind is that Doug doesn't ship the JLT intake from his shop. It ships from Virginia. I am not sure about other intakes.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:30 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Well, I emailed bama a couple days ago to see how long the turnaround time was just for a tune, and still have not heard back. So I emailed brenspeed today and heard back from them within a few hours. So I guess I will be ordering from brenspeed. I was really looking forward to bama's, but I dont have the patience to wait months.

Quick Reply: Doug at BamaChips???