Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd to 3rd Gear Grind Buzz, 3x Today WTF?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:04 PM
rap87
1st Gear Member

Default 2nd to 3rd Gear Grind Buzz, 3x Today WTF?!

On my way home from work today I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd at anywhere from 2200 to 2800 RPMs and as I was pushing it into 3rd gear I got a Buzzing vibration/sound up through the shifter, as if the clutch wasn't down all the way when shifting. This happened 3x within a 10 min 3-5 mile radius, and after the 1st time I made sure, or thought I did that the clutch was all the way down. the last 2 miles of the drive it didn't happen again, and I started shifting slow/fast to see WTF was up. Any Ideas whats going on?

Background
08 Mustang
Hurst Shifter Installed about 2-3 Weeks ago
3k Miles on Car.

Shifting Technique is from 2nd to 3rd using the Left bottom Heel of my Palm pushing the shift ball away from me into 3rd...not sure the link but the technique has been demonstrated on websites.

Is it possible to shift to fast even if the clutch is all the way down causing this to happen? I have noticed that sometimes in quick shifting from 3rd to 4th I get no buzz from the tranmission, but I do feel alil buzz/hear it from the clutch/feet...this is another issue, I remembered as I'm typing this...

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:08 PM
rap87
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 2nd to 3rd Gear Grind Buzz, 3x Today WTF?!

Oh and P.S. this is the first time this has happened in my 3k miles of drive the car slow/hard/red line hard, and I would say the past couple of weeks have fealt the smoothiest I've ever been as far as shifting goes...really feeling one with the car...so...its hard for me to think driver error unless maybe I'm getting to quick for the stock components...but again any opinions are wanted.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:50 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I know the noise you are talking about because I used to get it. My car is about 2 months old and i started getting that noise on my first shift into third gear when the car was really cold, but it wouldnt do it a second time without the car sitting for 12+ hours. One day,after pulling out of my driveway and going up my street, i just rammed it hard from 2nd to third gear and it made the noise, but I havent heard the noise since then. I dont know what the actual problem is, but i think i solved mine by just slamming the shifter into 3rd.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:27 PM
rap87
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jahudso2

I know the noise you are talking about because I used to get it. My car is about 2 months old and i started getting that noise on my first shift into third gear when the car was really cold, but it wouldnt do it a second time without the car sitting for 12+ hours. One day,after pulling out of my driveway and going up my street, i just rammed it hard from 2nd to third gear and it made the noise, but I havent heard the noise since then. I dont know what the actual problem is, but i think i solved mine by just slamming the shifter into 3rd.
Anyone else had this problem. Its been a long time, since I've done it wrong, but its kinda like not pushing the clutch all the way in and trying to put it in gear, it'll go in, but you get alot of vibes/buzzing...I'm sure this is taking alot of wear on the syncros...I sit with my seat far enough up to put my wrist over the wheel from a leaned back position...so...I'm damn close, so its hard not to push it all the way to the floor...I just don't like, knowing I'm doing it right and for some **** like that to happen...any others?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:38 AM
rap87
1st Gear Member

[sm=type.gif]
Old 02-01-2008, 06:24 AM
08GTRagtop

I'm having the same problem so let me know what you find out.

Basically mine does it when cold and seems to go away after 10 minutes of driving and the tranny is cold. I've found that double clutching into 3rd until the tranny warms up seems to work.

I will take it to the dealer but i need to take out the Hurst (too cold outside and, yes, i had this problem before installing the hurst) so for now i'm just living with it.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:13 AM
FenderParrothead
2nd Gear Member

I've had the same experience as well - only when it's cold out, and the car has been sitting out for 7+ hours. When I leave the house in the morning, after it's been in the (warmer) garage, there's no problem, but after sitting in the parking garage at work, I sometimes get this.

I've also had a problem in the first couple of shifts of even getting it back into first after I've come to a stop. Clutch is all the way, but sometimes I have to force it up in there until I get going.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:17 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

this may or may not solve your problem, but i figure it's worth a shot though it doesn't dealdirectly with the tranny and gearbox. a month or two after havingmy pro 5.0 shifter installed, things started to feel weird. shifting from 2nd to 3rd in particular was not as easy or smooth as it had been, and i would miss gears and grind occasionally. anyway, long story short, the shifter arm had begun to come loose from the lower part - eventually one of the bolts came out altogether (that was a harrowing moment, let me tell you[&:]). so the moral of the story is, check your shifter. maybe the arm is coming loose causing you to miss shifts. just a guess...
Old 02-01-2008, 07:43 AM
FenderParrothead
2nd Gear Member

On another note, (just to get more discussion going) I had thought of replacing the tranny fluid with a full synthetic kind. Didn't know if this would help in colder weather or not.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:06 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

The only bad thing about changing your tranny fluid is that if there is some sort of mechanical failure associated with this buzzing noise, they can try to put the blame on you for "tampering" with your transmission. As long as your warranty is still in tact, I would just try ramming it hard into third one time while your car is cold and you know its going to make the noise, or take it in and have them look at it. You are asking for trouble if you try to fix it yourself when its under warranty, but that is just my opinion.

Quick Reply: 2nd to 3rd Gear Grind Buzz, 3x Today WTF?!