exhaust keeps coming loose - MustangForums.com


2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Henry County, Georgia
Posts: 1,619
Default exhaust keeps coming loose

Put on some boom tubes about a week ago and once again one is rattling. Ive tightened both once but i dont know if im getting them tight enough. If i take them to an exhaust shop to have them weld them in place will i encounter problems when i install headers in the next few weeks? Or do any other members with boom tubes know a secret i dont as to how to get them to stay in place.
Shadow7874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
dstang10
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: KS
Posts: 319
Default

Do you know if its your clamps coming loose? It could be the exhaust hangers touching something to cause a rattle. Look under the car when its rattling to see where its coming from. I had the exhaust hangers touching the actual hanger, and it was rattling like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow7874 View Post
Put on some boom tubes about a week ago and once again one is rattling. Ive tightened both once but i dont know if im getting them tight enough. If i take them to an exhaust shop to have them weld them in place will i encounter problems when i install headers in the next few weeks? Or do any other members with boom tubes know a secret i dont as to how to get them to stay in place.
dstang10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Nuke
6th Gear Member
 
Nuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PA to KY ('07) to IL ('09) to MS ('10) to FL ('11)
Posts: 16,186
Default

A clamp on one side of my Stingers kept loosening up after a few hindred/thousand miles despite constant retourquing. A U-clamp from a local autoparts store solved that problem.
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
bigray327
2nd Gear Member
 
bigray327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 342
Default

I welded a set of Flowmasters on, once. Big mistake. About 30 seconds later, I decided to go with another setup, and had to cut them off. Nobody wants to buy cut-off mufflers, and it's a bitch to clamp new mufflers to cut-off over-axle pipes.
bigray327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
rdsx18
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 1,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstang10 View Post
Do you know if its your clamps coming loose? It could be the exhaust hangers touching something to cause a rattle. Look under the car when its rattling to see where its coming from. I had the exhaust hangers touching the actual hanger, and it was rattling like crazy.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Happened to me and it was so annoying.
rdsx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canton, Georgia
Posts: 11,005
Default

had the same issue with my 2005 GT and I ended up taking it to a local muffler shop so they could tighten all the connections down with their air tools....after that I never had any more problems
05 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member
 
loudnlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 829
Default

Muscle up and tighten the holy bejesus out of them.
loudnlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Henry County, Georgia
Posts: 1,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss197 View Post
Muscle up and tighten the holy bejesus out of them.
Ill try this

I was worried about over torquing them but i guess thats not as easy as i though.

And i havent check elsewhere for rattles but the first time it occurred it was the clamp allowing the muffler to slide of the midpipe.
And i dont think ill be switching exhaust any time soon
Shadow7874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Henry County, Georgia
Posts: 1,619
Default

Well the clamps were a bit loose again so i fixed that problem but after some driving today ive got an insanely annoying rattle again. Everything seems tight and i cant tell where the rattle is coming from but it sounds like its higher up the mid pipe or above the muffler??
Anyone had a similar problem? its driving me crazy
Shadow7874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canton, Georgia
Posts: 11,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow7874 View Post
Well the clamps were a bit loose again so i fixed that problem but after some driving today ive got an insanely annoying rattle again. Everything seems tight and i cant tell where the rattle is coming from but it sounds like its higher up the mid pipe or above the muffler??
Anyone had a similar problem? its driving me crazy
sorry to hear you still have an annoying rattle shadow...

when you were tightening all the connections were you able to get a good look at everything under the car to make sure there were no areas where there might be some metal to metal rubbing??
05 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 5.4 4 valve Swap begins... 2002 GT Gary Ugarek 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang 63 12-11-2015 03:01 PM
Did a few mods this summer... drfister 2005-2014 Mustangs 9 09-04-2015 08:47 AM
White smoke gone, now grey smoke. overnight89 4.6L General Discussion 6 08-22-2015 10:02 PM
91 5.0 mustang Clunking in rear end? Exhaust leak? 91StangOwner 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang 5 08-21-2015 12:34 AM
2004 v6 Rumble/Shake on startup Itstbrown V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs 1 08-09-2015 04:49 AM


Tags
2005, bassani, clamp, clamps, coming, exhast, exhaust, ford, gt, hangers, loose, loosening, magnaflow, mustang, rocker

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.