Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 12-19-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT
Default exhaust keeps coming loose

Put on some boom tubes about a week ago and once again one is rattling. Ive tightened both once but i dont know if im getting them tight enough. If i take them to an exhaust shop to have them weld them in place will i encounter problems when i install headers in the next few weeks? Or do any other members with boom tubes know a secret i dont as to how to get them to stay in place.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

07 Redfire GT Manual
Boom Tubes, BBK Chrome Shorties, Steeda CAI, J&M LCAs, SHR Honeycomb Blackout Panel, Wheelskins Louvers, GT/CS Rear Bumper, ROUSH spoiler, ROUSH Leather/Suede seats
Shadow7874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 GT

Do you know if its your clamps coming loose? It could be the exhaust hangers touching something to cause a rattle. Look under the car when its rattling to see where its coming from. I had the exhaust hangers touching the actual hanger, and it was rattling like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow7874 View Post
Put on some boom tubes about a week ago and once again one is rattling. Ive tightened both once but i dont know if im getting them tight enough. If i take them to an exhaust shop to have them weld them in place will i encounter problems when i install headers in the next few weeks? Or do any other members with boom tubes know a secret i dont as to how to get them to stay in place.
dstang10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

A clamp on one side of my Stingers kept loosening up after a few hindred/thousand miles despite constant retourquing. A U-clamp from a local autoparts store solved that problem.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

I welded a set of Flowmasters on, once. Big mistake. About 30 seconds later, I decided to go with another setup, and had to cut them off. Nobody wants to buy cut-off mufflers, and it's a bitch to clamp new mufflers to cut-off over-axle pipes.
2007 Mustang GT / Built short block / 555 rwhp and 518 ft-lbs / Vortech V2-Si at 16 psi / Paxton cooler / IW 10% OD crank / TR6060 / McLeod XRT and flywheel / 4.10s / Dual GT500 pumps / Steeda delete plates / Mac long tubes and Prochamber / Magnapacks / Spydershaft / Tokico D-specs / Roush springs / Steeda strut mounts / BMR LCAs / GMS UCA / Steeda panhard and brace / 14" Brembos / TCS auto-off / Nexus gauges / GTS-III hood / Drake hood pins / AVIC-D3 / Tuned by PSI Motorsports
bigray327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstang10 View Post
Do you know if its your clamps coming loose? It could be the exhaust hangers touching something to cause a rattle. Look under the car when its rattling to see where its coming from. I had the exhaust hangers touching the actual hanger, and it was rattling like crazy.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Happened to me and it was so annoying.

2005 Redfire GT
428hp 379ft lb
rdsx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 BOSS 302
2012_CO_BOSS_302

had the same issue with my 2005 GT and I ended up taking it to a local muffler shop so they could tighten all the connections down with their air tools....after that I never had any more problems

2012 BOSS 302
Competiton Orange/Black

1 of 67 (Car Cover, Floor Mats, No Recaros)
#0614 of 3250 (Overall)

20x9 & 20x11 Gloss Black Forgrstar F14's l 255/35/20 & 305/30/20 Pirelli P-Zero Tires l Eibach Sportlines l BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar l MMD Hood Struts l Shorty Antenna (AntennaX.com) l Sound Pipe Delete (CoolTechLLC.com)
05 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang GT

Muscle up and tighten the holy bejesus out of them.
loudnlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss197 View Post
Muscle up and tighten the holy bejesus out of them.
Ill try this

I was worried about over torquing them but i guess thats not as easy as i though.

And i havent check elsewhere for rattles but the first time it occurred it was the clamp allowing the muffler to slide of the midpipe.
And i dont think ill be switching exhaust any time soon

07 Redfire GT Manual
Boom Tubes, BBK Chrome Shorties, Steeda CAI, J&M LCAs, SHR Honeycomb Blackout Panel, Wheelskins Louvers, GT/CS Rear Bumper, ROUSH spoiler, ROUSH Leather/Suede seats
Old 12-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Well the clamps were a bit loose again so i fixed that problem but after some driving today ive got an insanely annoying rattle again. Everything seems tight and i cant tell where the rattle is coming from but it sounds like its higher up the mid pipe or above the muffler??
Anyone had a similar problem? its driving me crazy

07 Redfire GT Manual
Old 12-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 BOSS 302
2012_CO_BOSS_302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow7874 View Post
Well the clamps were a bit loose again so i fixed that problem but after some driving today ive got an insanely annoying rattle again. Everything seems tight and i cant tell where the rattle is coming from but it sounds like its higher up the mid pipe or above the muffler??
Anyone had a similar problem? its driving me crazy
sorry to hear you still have an annoying rattle shadow...

when you were tightening all the connections were you able to get a good look at everything under the car to make sure there were no areas where there might be some metal to metal rubbing??

2012 BOSS 302
Competiton Orange/Black

1 of 67 (Car Cover, Floor Mats, No Recaros)
#0614 of 3250 (Overall)

20x9 & 20x11 Gloss Black Forgrstar F14's l 255/35/20 & 305/30/20 Pirelli P-Zero Tires l Eibach Sportlines l BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar l MMD Hood Struts l Shorty Antenna (AntennaX.com) l Sound Pipe Delete (CoolTechLLC.com)
05 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:52 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2005, bassani, clamp, clamps, coming, exhast, exhaust, ford, gt, hangers, loose, loosening, magnaflow, mustang, rocker