Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal Noise When Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:54 PM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

let me ask you guys this.the electric sound that you guys hear is it more close to like a very thin chain been drag under the car.i have a noise since i bought the car that sounds more to me like a chain been drag and is around 40 mph.another thing last week i started to get a noise from the engine that sounded like i had a mini supercharger under the hood and itll go up and down with the rpms.that one turned out to be the bearing from the alternator.you guys mite want to look into that.if you want to find out start the car and get a long screw driver.place it on the alternator and put your ear at the end of the screw driver and listen for any weird noise.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

I have this exact same noise, it only happens when accelerating or when the car is under a light load. I have a V8 auto. If I kick it down to a lower gear it goes away. I'm thinking that it is one or both of the shields on the catalytic converters. Someone suggested putting a hose clamp around them to stop this. Right now the car is hibernating for the winter, but I might try the clamp idea in the spring. I don't have any other noise issues with the car.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:11 PM
roxmysox99

Ford once again were unable to hear the buzz even with me driving. Maybe it was due to the fact that the foreman looked like he was 60 and we know how age effects hearing. Anyways, the buzz seems to be coming from the center stack (the radio, a/c controls,etc). I'm out of ideas.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:01 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I had the center stack noise. It's TSB O6-04-1. It would occur when I would step on the accelerator around 2500 RPMS. The fix was easy and took about 15min. I Just put a 2 3/4 worm style clamp around the exhaust hanger isolator (the rubber part) located on the trans cross member and problem solved.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by roxmysox99
Ford once again were unable to hear the buzz even with me driving. Maybe it was due to the fact that the foreman looked like he was 60 and we know how age effects hearing. Anyways, the buzz seems to be coming from the center stack (the radio, a/c controls,etc). I'm out of ideas.
The sound is still gone for me a week later. As stupid as it sounds I just gave that center area a good whack and the sound disapeared.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Ray
I have this exact same noise, it only happens when accelerating or when the car is under a light load. I have a V8 auto. If I kick it down to a lower gear it goes away. I'm thinking that it is one or both of the shields on the catalytic converters. Someone suggested putting a hose clamp around them to stop this. Right now the car is hibernating for the winter, but I might try the clamp idea in the spring. I don't have any other noise issues with the car.
I have no cats and had the sound.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:35 PM
roxmysox99

Originally Posted by Black3vGT
The sound is still gone for me a week later. As stupid as it sounds I just gave that center area a good whack and the sound disapeared.
Are you being serious? Hahahaa. Well i guess you are. Ummm should i give it a try?
Old 12-26-2009, 11:38 PM
roxmysox99

Originally Posted by gman73
I had the center stack noise. It's TSB O6-04-1. It would occur when I would step on the accelerator around 2500 RPMS. The fix was easy and took about 15min. I Just put a 2 3/4 worm style clamp around the exhaust hanger isolator (the rubber part) located on the trans cross member and problem solved.
Thanks. However my car is a 2008. The TSB you mentioned is for 05 to 06.

ANYONE HELP?
Old 12-27-2009, 02:22 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by roxmysox99
Thanks. However my car is a 2008. The TSB you mentioned is for 05 to 06.

ANYONE HELP?
Do you notice the sound when on the hwy and you step on the accelerator? That's when I would hear a metallic shimmering noise. I could cruise around 2500 RPMS or so and then step on the gas and I would hear a noise from the dash area for a few seconds. If you have a dead blow hammer, tap on the exhaust isolators located at the transmount. If they don't make a solid sound, then your problem is the TSB.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:49 PM
roxmysox99

Well after making numerous trips to the dealership without any noise being detected (by them ofcourse), i printed out TSB 08-3-4. I convinced them to do the TSB even though they couldn't hear the buzz. The TSB has been preformed but the noise is still there.

Any ideas?

Hopefully this noise inst caused by anything detrimental to the car in case it doesn't get solved before the warranty is up.

Quick Reply: Metal Noise When Accelerating