Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRPP Hot Rod cams installed! Holy crap!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:47 PM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Default FRPP Hot Rod cams installed! Holy crap!

Well last night I finished the install, loaded the Brenspeed 91 tune that Dave tailored for these cams, crossed my fingers and hit the key. The engine roared to life on the first crank, and my blood pressure went way down. I have been turning wrenches for 20 years but hey, crap CAN happen! Anyway, whew! After the engine warmed up and idled at 900 rpms it has the suhweeeetest DEEPEST penetrating lope with the axleback stingers and stock cat piping. Because of wet weather last night I had to wait to test drive it today. Man, what a difference I made in the last several weeks from a stock car. Started with the C&L CAI and Brenspeed tune, the 4.10 gears and now the cams. What a beast it is now from stock!!! I'm at the perfect place I wanna be without having to pay 5-7 grand for supercharging. This car is now a blast to drive! I'm glad I went we these cams. No altering the stock system with phasers and suffering lowend torque issues like you get with the Thumpers so I've read.

To Dave at Brenspeed: this tune rocks! No pinging, and Im smoking tires in second so long I have to back off the throttle to get traction!
The only thing I notice now is my stock cats put off more of a stink than they ever did. I'm assuming because of the strategy adjustments with the cams. But anyway, through the entire powerband I'm totally stoked. It runs like a champ! Dave thanks for sending the tune on a Saturday and for all the great customer service and the quickest shipping ever I have received when buying all of my performance parts from you guys!

Now I'm debating on dumping the stock cats and piping and getting a Pypes off road H pipe. Its moderately loud and deep now but I'm wondering if I beef it up a tad more with the H pipe if it will be just over the top and just too loud. Plus I read about fumes and not sure if I want that and much more volume with a convertible. I don't know though, do I want a catalytic fart smell or gasoline smell with the H pipe lol? Opinions welcome.

Sorry I dont have a video. Dont have a good camera to do it with. My car sounds real similar to some of the YouTube vids with those guys that have similar mods like mine like axleback Stingers. But no recording equates to what you hear and feel in person.

I'm going to be selling my brand new valve spring compressor (Ford Part number 303-1039) and timing chain wedge (Ford Part number 303-1175) on Ebay after the holiday in January so keep an eye out. These tools were worth their weight in gold and made the job safe and painless.

Anyway, a big thanks to hammeron here who posted Fords cam install PDF and his personal install procedure.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:52 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

Congrats! Where is the sound clip!!!!
Old 12-20-2009, 01:55 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

Congrats and get that h pipe you will love it.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:21 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

+1 it's sooo much better in person. i bet
our cars sound very similar at this point, not
too loud but definitely not stock.

congrats on the install and welcome to the
crew.

Originally Posted by timmbo

no recording equates to what you hear and feel in person.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:23 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Congrats !!! Good that it rocks so well. The guys from Brenspeed are awesome.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

is yours an auto or manual? Im asking cuz i really want to get cams but a lot of people are having problems with there auto's overdrive light switching on and off.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:13 PM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SmokeStang08
is yours an auto or manual? Im asking cuz i really want to get cams but a lot of people are having problems with there auto's overdrive light switching on and off.
Mine is a manual.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:37 PM
str8wick3d
3rd Gear Member

run it with off road x pipe, sounds beast!!!
Old 12-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

I'm seriously considering these!! Whats the avg HP (to the wheels) gain from these??
Old 12-20-2009, 05:16 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Oh God, another completely satisfied Hot Rod cam customer. You guys are absolutely killing me!!

P.S.: Congrats I'm just jealous.

Quick Reply: FRPP Hot Rod cams installed! Holy crap!