Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:10 PM
JWButler14
3rd Gear Member

Im going to be swapping out my base GT wheel for a deluxe V6 wheel next weekend and im gonna try my best to figure out how to get those steering wheel controls to work.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:50 AM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JWButler14
Im going to be swapping out my base GT wheel for a deluxe V6 wheel next weekend and im gonna try my best to figure out how to get those steering wheel controls to work.
May the force be with you! I'm really missing this functionality and would love for someone to figure this out.

PS: What ever happened to FordEngineer? Haven't seen him post in a while and I figured he was the best one to help us out on this. He never responded my PM's either.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:06 PM
EscapedGreg
1st Gear Member

I believe that they should be able to hook up the scan tool at Ford and reprogram your car to get it to work. I used to work for a Ford dealer and when ever we added cruise control to a car we would have to reprogram it so the cruise would work. I have asked a bunch of people at Ford but noone can give me a straight answer cause they haven't done it yet. I've been watching this thread before I ordered one to make sure they would work.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Chainsaw

Looks sweet, i would love to do a bullitt air bag swap instead.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:49 PM
bustacrab
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EscapedGreg
I believe that they should be able to hook up the scan tool at Ford and reprogram your car to get it to work. I used to work for a Ford dealer and when ever we added cruise control to a car we would have to reprogram it so the cruise would work. I have asked a bunch of people at Ford but noone can give me a straight answer cause they haven't done it yet. I've been watching this thread before I ordered one to make sure they would work.
I called my dealership and they claimed that how to reprogram the head unit to enable the radio control functionality was in the "owner's manual", but it's not.

I know that to get to the diagnostics you press 3 + 6 then you can press 6 to get to the radio config. There are like five configurations, but I can't figure out how to cycle through them or change them.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:43 PM
JWButler14
3rd Gear Member

i just did the thing u said bustacrab but the only thing i could it to do was test each speaker and test the display so hopefully someone from ford will help us out with this
Old 05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
JWButler14
3rd Gear Member

i really wann get the controls to work on the steering wheel im going to be getting
Old 05-05-2010, 04:56 PM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bustacrab
I called my dealership and they claimed that how to reprogram the head unit to enable the radio control functionality was in the "owner's manual", but it's not.

I know that to get to the diagnostics you press 3 + 6 then you can press 6 to get to the radio config. There are like five configurations, but I can't figure out how to cycle through them or change them.
I read somewhere that this only displays the various configurations of the head unit. You can't change them. Trust me; I tried for days!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:39 PM
JWButler14
3rd Gear Member

Well that sucks. So it looks like I gotta take it to the dealership hopefully one of the two around me will know how to do it
Old 05-06-2010, 12:19 PM
EscapedGreg
1st Gear Member

I know that we use to have to hook up the scan tool to do it. I am not positive that you can definatly do it for the radio controls as I have never done it. It's all on who you get at the dealership most people don't want to even try you may have to slide them some mula.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Swap