Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:15 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

I tell you what If someone can get the sound controls working on this wheel im all over it im pondering the builltt wheel until someone can get the audio controls to work!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:27 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Yea I would much rather have the bullitt wheel, the other is a little to bulky for me. Just want something a little nicer.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:26 PM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

I've looked around at a couple different wheels before I bought my gt500 wheel. The bullitt, SVT, premium GT, and aftermarket wheels. All said and done the gt500 is the best bang for the buck. I plan on getting the shaker 500 head unit some time in the future so I can use the audio controls. Right now i'm not to concerned about the audio controls. The way I look at it I didn't have them before so I can live without the for a little longer. If I would of went with a SVT or bullitt wheel I wouldn't of had the option to have the audio controls later on. Either way ANY wheel is better than the deluxe GT wheel.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:57 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GrayGhost01GT
I tell you what If someone can get the sound controls working on this wheel im all over it im pondering the builltt wheel until someone can get the audio controls to work!
Originally Posted by 2010V6Stang
Yea I would much rather have the bullitt wheel, the other is a little to bulky for me. Just want something a little nicer.
well I have a 2009 Bullitt with only 2,200 miles.

I'm more than willing to trade someone for that 2010 GT500 steering wheel. PM me to see what we can work out
Old 02-07-2010, 07:55 PM
mbyers

This is great info.
I'm looking into ordering a 2011, but I really do not want leather. The only options from the premium package that I would really like is the steering wheel and SYNC.
So you guys have solved my steering wheel issue :-)

I would like to know how changing the Head Unit goes. Like others, I suspect it will make the audio controls work; but it would be great to get that confirmation.

Now if you can solve the SYNC part......
Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 AM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

Swap done. Quick and easy. Much nicer than stock.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:38 AM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

Congrats! I still love mine! I looked into switching out the vent rings to the gt500 aluminum ones but the are pricey, and they don't sell the rings seperate from the vents/cluster. it was like 180 for just the vents..and I didn't price the gt500 cluster (don't know if it would even work for the GT)
Old 02-19-2010, 11:46 AM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

I have sent a couple of PMs to FordEngineer. He responded to the first but not yet to the followups. Trying to get some Ford input on getting the audio controls to work on the base radio. Hopefully he can help.

According to the first PM, he seems to think the base head unit supports the steering wheel controls, however, he is uncertain if the base GT has the wiring support. He thinks it's 50/50 that Ford uses the same wiring harness to save cost but is not sure. Eagerly awaiting his followup. I don't want to harass the guy though.

BTW, I ordered some polished billet trim items to install. Getting new door handles, GT seat release levers, GT seat recliner lever covers, and lock pin bezels. Should dress up the interior nicely. I love shiny chrome things.

Last edited by incorrigible; 02-19-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:40 AM
bustacrab
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by incorrigible
I have sent a couple of PMs to FordEngineer. He responded to the first but not yet to the followups. Trying to get some Ford input on getting the audio controls to work on the base radio. Hopefully he can help.

According to the first PM, he seems to think the base head unit supports the steering wheel controls, however, he is uncertain if the base GT has the wiring support. He thinks it's 50/50 that Ford uses the same wiring harness to save cost but is not sure. Eagerly awaiting his followup. I don't want to harass the guy though.

BTW, I ordered some polished billet trim items to install. Getting new door handles, GT seat release levers, GT seat recliner lever covers, and lock pin bezels. Should dress up the interior nicely. I love shiny chrome things.
I tend to think that the wiring harness would be the same for all of the vehicles to save money. thats what car manufacturers seem to usually do. that, and the head unit for the GT deluxe has nothing in it, I don't see how the HU would support the controls if it's not even put in the premium GTs? It seems to me the issue is the head unit...regardless it doesn't work and the only way to get the functionality seems to be aftermarket mods
Old 02-20-2010, 04:15 PM
cubican
1st Gear Member

Ok got some info , the wire harness is the same on 2010 and up, the reason that the controls are not working ,the stereo needs to be re programed to have them on. Many ford dealers dont have a clue how to do it, many dealers used out side installers for stereo intallations. One way to take care of it is to find a car with the controls and get the vin # so the dealer can look up as built data and they can re programed it then.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Swap