Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start for Manual Transmission???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 05:39 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by doode
Immobilizer bypass...box that memorizes your keycode.

Any half decent alarm installer will know what I'm talking about.
Nice. Found what would be needed here.

While Iīm not convinced itīs really a ĻbadĻ idea, since the only real reasoning for it by most is one guy with it poorly done as an example, then everyone being shocked by that fact.

Seems to me thatīs rather like someone posting about how they were in a head-on collision due to their cruise-control because the person that installed it didnīt tie turning it off with the brake-petal, and therefore itīs a bad idea to have cruise control.

Normīs post being the only exception so far, I donīt ĻneedĻ to have it, so Iīll just deal as I have done in the winter.
I do recognise that should the em-brake have an issue it could become bothersome to manual disable, or it would then be a safety issue, so possibly not worth the hassle a few years down the road just so I donīt have to step outside in the morning, then run back in. *shrug*

But thanks all!
Old 12-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

...lets the oil get circulating for a few minutes before I get in so I can just get in and go.
People have always found a way to do that. Decades before there even was such a thing as remote start or any discussion at all about whether it was really compatible with manual transmissions. As Jim says, you can still do other things while it's warming up a bit, or you might even discover on the first trip out to start the car that you want a warmer (or less warm) jacket.

I realize that it is possible to do this (R/S in a MT car). Have those of you who want to do this specific mod ever seriously questioned whether or not you actually should? If not, why not?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-03-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:08 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I realize that it is possible to do this (R/S in a MT car). Have those of you who want to do this specific mod ever seriously questioned whether or not you actually should? If not, why not?

Norm
IMO everything you plan to mod should be questioned. Risk vs. Benefit should always be weighed. For me after consideration, the hassle down the road to maintain the proper upkeep for it to be useful probably isnīt worth it.

I do think the risk in this case is far overplayed, again, so long as you get it installed right. Much the same case as having Jimmy-billy-bob across the field do your rear-differential and having the gears seize at the dealership, and trying to blame the dealership for it.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:21 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Detecting neutral isn't the problem so much as reliably doing so over time. Mechanical things like limit switches can either stick or fall out of adjustment, leaving you with either a loss of interlock or a no-start condition.

Norm
Um, Norm, reed switches and magnets are the most reliable items around.
They are not mechanical at all and require no physical contact to work.
They have been tested to billions and billions of cycles without fail.
Its been told before of how to do a neutral start switch before many a time.
Not that I would recommend it.
Search 'my mustang is in the lake across from the dealership'.

How many people here actually HAVE a remote start with M/T ? I read a lot of posts saying its horrible and dangerous, but who actually runs it ?

I do, It is pretty fail safe unless someone crawls into the car with a window down and puts it in gear when the engine is off ( read below ).

I have a compustar and in order for it to remote start i must :

Come to a complete stop.
Put car in neutral.
How does Compustar know that the stang is in neutral???
Or did someone else do the install?

I have my starter wire hot all the time and the only time
the starter actually turns is when the key is in the run position,
the engine is not running and the clutch is fully depressed.
Its like a dash mounted start button but $100 cheaper.
If I stall her at a light, the engine restarts instantly when
the clutch is depressed. Very neat modification and I believe
I am the only one with it.
I can never understand how the neatest electrical mods are not
used widespread among forum members...
Mine is heavily modified unlike most.
I guess most dont understand the electrical aspect
and only comprehend the mechanical aspects of the S197.

Last edited by 157dB; 12-03-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:37 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
I can never understand how the neatest electrical mods are not
used widespread among forum members...
Mine is heavily modified unlike most.
and only comprehend the mechanical aspects of the S197.
Seems to be the case here it would seem, or reactionary "it's bad" to improperly done modification.

These kinds of modifications are the only ones I'm comfortable with my electronics and computer background/work.

The other modifications I've done to my own I've hired someone else to do that I knew could do it right. Ie. The recessed rear louver replacements (shop specializing in car windows), and a sub-shop from the dealership to do the rear diff.

Anything electrical I don't trust anyone else to do aside from myself. Sure as heck not the local audio/car-alarm shop with crimp connections other various rather rude things I'd have to say about the average one.

See this for details on the car-pc I've used for 2+ years in my stang.
And this and this for an even better recent model with an Ipad done.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Um, Norm, reed switches and magnets are the most reliable items around.
They are not mechanical at all and require no physical contact to work.
What about maintaining the required gaps/alignment/adjustment, in an environment where there may be a lot of shock and vibration?

Or completely trust it. Electrical things aren't terribly functional after somebody or something lets all the magic smoke out, and you don't ever seem to get much warning about the smoke escaping until after it already has.

A lot of us see involving this sort of electrical aspect as needless complexity when the basic task (starting the engine, in this case) has no functional reason to incorporate it and where doing so can detract from vehicle capability or add restrictions to its operation. IOW, K.I.S.S.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-03-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:25 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

What about maintaining the required gaps/alignment/adjustment, in an environment where there may be a lot of shock and vibration?
That, eh. Properly installed I can't see it being much different from an automatic aftermarket installation. Again, done properly.

Or completely trust it. Electrical things aren't terribly functional after somebody or something lets all the magic smoke out, and you don't ever seem to get much warning about the smoke escaping until after it already has.
Should the magic smoke as it were, come out, it's disabled and will cease to allow remote starting. Again, no different from an automatic tranny install if done right.
A lot of us see involving this sort of electrical aspect as needless complexity when the basic task (starting the engine, in this case) has no functional reason to incorporate it and where doing so can detract from vehicle capability or add restrictions to its operation. IOW, K.I.S.S.
Norm
I still don't see this as being any more complex an addition then what other mods that could have the potential to hinder drive-off capability that are done. So keeping it simple is generally last on the list for these boards all in all.

The only reasons I won't be doing it is that if there is a potential issue with the em-brake not being tightened down properly at a regular maintenance interval it becomes a potential nuisance as I'd have to disable the remote-starting capability until fixed. Or the simple reason that going through all this trouble to bypass the immobilizer, then wire everything else up properly just isn't worth it personally to me for just simplistic remote-starting. If I were doing a full alarm install, it'd be a different story. I like to get more bang for my buck if I have to tear into my car for a mod.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:03 PM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

There's a reason remote start isn't recommended.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:08 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by akiba17
There's a reason remote start isn't recommended.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:11 PM
EF 07GTCS
1st Gear Member

remote starting isn't all about winter driving. living in AZ where it gets to 115+ during the summer it'd be nice to get into a car that the has had a chance for the ac to cool down the interior, espically with leather seats.
E

Quick Reply: Remote Start for Manual Transmission???