Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start for Manual Transmission???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 02:09 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Not to mention...Ad nauseum again, it was a bypassed automatic only r/s that was installed. It, as I recall of the thread, didn't even require the e-brake to be on.

Man do people love that thread though.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:34 PM
808Boss

Default Question on cost?

Originally Posted by doode
How many people here actually HAVE a remote start with M/T ? I read a lot of posts saying its horrible and dangerous, but who actually runs it ?

I do, It is pretty fail safe unless someone crawls into the car with a window down and puts it in gear when the engine is off ( read below ).

I have a compustar and in order for it to remote start i must :

Come to a complete stop.
Put car in neutral.
Pull up hand brake.
Remove key and get out of car.
***car is still running at this point ***
Close door.
Alarm arms, shuts off engine automatically.

If the alarm is tripped, if a door / trunk/ hood is opened, the alarm will not remote start.

I walk back to my car, hit remote start, it starts.

Because you leave with the car still running in neutral, the only way things can go south is if someone through an open window, stuck it in gear without tripping the alarm.

I like remote start...lets the oil get circulating for a few minutes before I get in so I can just get in and go.
Doode,

Out of curiosity, how much did it all cost to put in the compustar remote start and alarm? Do you subscribe to the premium plan with GPS as well? I'm a new member to this site and I was trying to send a personal PM, but couldn't...Not sure if I have to post more first..

Thanks...
Jeff
Old 09-25-2011, 03:36 PM
bigmike06gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808Boss
Doode,

Out of curiosity, how much did it all cost to put in the compustar remote start and alarm? Do you subscribe to the premium plan with GPS as well? I'm a new member to this site and I was trying to send a personal PM, but couldn't...Not sure if I have to post more first..

Thanks...
Jeff
When I got mine installed in April of 2006, the week after buying my car it cost me $1000 for the unit and install. To date I have never had an issue with mine at all. It has been driven through 4 Alberta winters which easily get to -30 and the odd day colder and I have never had my e-brake freeze and the car was nice and warm everytime when I opened the door. Mine has the key bypass but it does not use the full key. All it has is a blank key that has not been cut but has the chip in it to fool the computer. If they are stealing your car with that then they would get it without anyways, hence the reason for the alarm as well which has paid for itself twice now. Mine is old enough it doesn't have the gps stuff on it but is still good to start the car from 5000 feet. If the unit is not installed correctly that is the only way to end up with troubles or with people thinking they are smarter and bypassing the safety units only makes them stupid and it becomes there fault when the car drives away without them.

When I arm my unit, even when I reach in the car and put it in gear it will not start and drive away as their is a sensor to shut the starter down when this is done. 140 000km or around 87 500miles and no problems or issues on my manual GT!!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:16 AM
808Boss

Originally Posted by bigmike06gt
When I got mine installed in April of 2006, the week after buying my car it cost me $1000 for the unit and install. To date I have never had an issue with mine at all. It has been driven through 4 Alberta winters which easily get to -30 and the odd day colder and I have never had my e-brake freeze and the car was nice and warm everytime when I opened the door. Mine has the key bypass but it does not use the full key. All it has is a blank key that has not been cut but has the chip in it to fool the computer. If they are stealing your car with that then they would get it without anyways, hence the reason for the alarm as well which has paid for itself twice now. Mine is old enough it doesn't have the gps stuff on it but is still good to start the car from 5000 feet. If the unit is not installed correctly that is the only way to end up with troubles or with people thinking they are smarter and bypassing the safety units only makes them stupid and it becomes there fault when the car drives away without them.

When I arm my unit, even when I reach in the car and put it in gear it will not start and drive away as their is a sensor to shut the starter down when this is done. 140 000km or around 87 500miles and no problems or issues on my manual GT!!

Thanks Big Mike,

I was quoted a similar cost,for the compustar alarm, remote start, the Drone unit which allows you to use your iphone to lock, unlock, remotes start your car. It also allows push notifications which is a nice feature, but of course you have to pay for the service...
Old 09-26-2011, 11:33 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

i bought the compustar ( basic 2 way , no GPS or fancy stuff ) about 4 years ago for $350
i paid a local install shop $400 to install ( almost 9 hours )

$50 of that install was to pay for a transponder bypass kit

memorizes and saves the transponder code instead of having to leave a key / blank close to the alarm brain to do auto start
Old 09-28-2011, 01:28 AM
808Boss

Thanks Doode!

So it was $750 total for the alarm, remote start, and install? I'm getting a quote around that price so I'm assuming that's fair... Wow took 9 hours to install.. seems like a long time.