Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 LED Reverse Light Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 10GTSTANG
Let me jump in here and say some good things about Lethal! I think they are standup people. My personal experiences with them have been nothing less than outstanding. I'm the one that bought a pillar pod through them, and it did not fit, but let me add, that I was probably the first person to buy one for a 10 and discovered that the mounting tabs were different. I knew going into this, that things may be different for the 10, even the manufacturer of the pod discovered at the same time that things were slightly different between the 10 and the 9. A quick call to Lethal and they took care of it, sent me a prepaid return label and helped to make sure that I got the very first SOS pillar pod made for the 10 (Allen at SOS is a standup guy too)! I bought my blower and all my guages from them, nothing but outstanding service there. Back in November I went on vacation to Florida, was in the area, so I stopped in. They don't have a showroom, but they were very happy to show me around, introduce me to the staff, gave me a t-shirt, made me feel welcome. I was even invited to go to the dragstrip with them the next night, and I probably would have gone, but it rained. They are Mustang people just like us, so if they have something I want or need, I will get it from them. Thumbs up to Lethal, They did thier best to test a prouduct, and if it does not work in your application, I trust them to make it right. They don't have to come on here and share in our discussions, they advertise in all the mags, but they do so because they like Mustangs. I hope to hear more from them here!
Originally Posted by 10GTSTANG
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I signed my name in the street out front a little bit, I wonder if it's still there?
Thanks a bunch for posting your experience with us. We always try to do our best to make sure our customers are happy with the products and services they receive from us. Indeed we do make mistakes however it's how we handle those mistakes that's gotten us to where we are now.

Thanks again!!

Jared
Old 01-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Just to let everyone know I went home and looked at our 2010 GT500 again and the bulbs did not have any glow to them at all.

If you're one of the ones that's experiencing the glow and aren't satisfied you can call in and receive an RMA to send the bulbs back for a refund.

Just to clarify as well the glow is created because the LED's don't have resistance like a stock conventional bulb has. It takes a very small amount of current to light an LED. So the glow will not effect the cars performance or leave you with a drained battery.

Hope that helps.

Jared
Old 01-12-2010, 09:17 PM
bgmikejr2009

To everyone reading this thread. I just read it tonight and installed the following lights from www.superbrightleds.com

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...s%2F921-x9.htm

Also for the license plate here's what I used from them as well.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...on_3910-x6.htm

I did the install for both in like 25 minutes. Also for the dome lights inside the car you can use the ones that I used for the reverse lights as they fit fine you just have to take out the lens covers to get them into the overhead piece. I also used the festoon bulbs that are used for the license plate for the trunk bulb but it wasn't that bright so I will be looking into getting ones brighter than those for the trunk.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:26 PM
FreshPuck
1st Gear Member

I just installed these on my 2010 GT and didn't notice any glow, altho I am running HIDs
Old 04-01-2010, 08:08 PM
jonandre911

Love it And I third that motion you need to sell one for the plate light to just complete the look of the whole ***-end
Old 09-03-2011, 05:30 AM
Digital_Synapse
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boostaddict
If you're one of the ones that's experiencing the glow and aren't satisfied you can call in and receive an RMA to send the bulbs back for a refund.

Hope that helps.

Jared
Dang, I'm just NOW seeing this. Mine doesnt have a glow, but they're too blue, and less bright than stock. Sure they look cool, but they don't provide enough light. I've had them on for one year while I've been waiting for someone to make some better ones. As far as looks cool, yup, everyone tells me they look cool. But as far as "The new LED bulb will get rid of that yellow looking bulb and replace it with a brighter and cleaner looking LED bulb which has a clear illumination to it." Nope. No biggie. I'm replacing mine soon. Probably sell them to my buddy who likes them for $20 for all 4.

I don't think Lethal intentionally misled people about the lights, but they're definitely not "brighter".
Old 09-03-2011, 11:46 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Boostaddict
Best of all it seems that since there's already
LED bulbs used on the 2010 there's already a resistor
installed so the bulbs will not glow at all like previous
models without resistors.
This seems to just be an observation.
Without removing your SJB and disassemble it to
verify the use of resistors on the conventional filiment
back-up bulbs output devices, how do you really know?

The semiconductor output devices in the SJB are
leaking current that the LEDs are glowing from.
A simple 2.2K Ohm 2Watt resistor accross the
bulbs terminals will stop the glowing. That will
pull down the output of the SJB to ground when
the lights are off and wont be noticed by the
SJB when the lights are on. These reststors
could be placed in the LED bulbs themselves
at the time of production and would not
compromise their design but enhance it.

The corrolation to HIDs and no HIDs, glow or
no glow is pure speculation and a co-winky-dink
at best.

Last edited by 157dB; 09-03-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:33 PM
tbroecker01

I don't own a mustang, but I own a motorcycle that I converted from standard bulbs to LEDs and had this same afterglow problem. It could probably be fixed with a diode or a pair of load resistors installed in the reverse light circuit.
On the CV forums (crownvic.net), guys who have installed LED tail lights have had issues like this as well (fast flash for turns), one fix was wiring in a standard bulb pigtail and installing a standard bulb in it. For their problem it worked.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:09 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by tbroecker01
one fix was wiring in a standard bulb pigtail and installing a standard bulb in it. For their problem it worked.
The 'standard bulb' is the same as a 'load resistor'.
It just has a much higher inrush current because of
the low cold filiment resistance. Load resistors rule
over 'standard bulbs' in this situation...
No high current inrush...
Old 07-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Hamhole
1st Gear Member

I just installed a set of Raxiom taillight lenses. While I was at it, I replaced the reverse light bulbs with the Raxiom LED kit. Everything was working dandy when I sewed up the patient.

Days later, I show these to my Dad and he's wondering what I'm doing. Of course, I'm putting the car in reverse, but all he sees is one of the bulbs flash quickly while all the other remain dark. Each time I hit Reverse, one bulb flickers and goes out. I had this thing working, so I wonder what just happened? Loose LED?