Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Advice Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:36 AM
NJ09GT
2nd Gear Member

I drive my Stang all year round.. Just take it slow and realize your driving a 300HP Mustang. I budgeted for a winter setup because this was my daily driver, bought Blizzaks and mounted them on a set of fanblades- my dedicated winter setup. Let me tell you, they stick like velcro - and take the packed snow better then my old Monte Carlo SS did with all season's.... Just gotta take it easy. Find a snow tire that suits your needs (In Northern NJ- Needed something for packed snow/ice ect VS. descent snow amounts ect
Old 01-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Originally Posted by StangRider89
I still do not have a mustang but May or June is the ETA. anyway I plan on using it as a DD and I am just wondering what is your experiences with driving these beasts in the winter. I was thinking maybe fatter snow tires. I currently drive a two wheel drive ford ranger that is terrible in snow (however this is when my car is its most fun) so I got driving sideways down to a science. Do any of you drive yours in snow or should I try and keep the ranger and put the car away.

Thanks for the help
Yes, snow tires will help (but wider is not better) and will save your rims from salt damage. Add weight to back of car with full tank of gas and heavy stuff in the trunk.

But if you can, keep the Ranger. (I drive a Subaru in the winter.)
Old 01-06-2010, 07:06 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NJ09GT
I drive my Stang all year round.. Just take it slow and realize your driving a 300HP Mustang. I budgeted for a winter setup because this was my daily driver, bought Blizzaks and mounted them on a set of fanblades- my dedicated winter setup. Let me tell you, they stick like velcro - and take the packed snow better then my old Monte Carlo SS did with all season's.... Just gotta take it easy. Find a snow tire that suits your needs (In Northern NJ- Needed something for packed snow/ice ect VS. descent snow amounts ect
This. My Stang is my DD as well and the Blizzaks are a Godsend. Right now I have 2 feet of snow on the ground with another foot expected by the end of the work week. To top things off, today we had several hours of freezing rain and freezing fog. Not nice weather AT ALL unless you enjoy chiseling ice off your windows with a jackhammer. While I hate winter with the passion of a thousand fiery suns, the Pony did fine with her new snowshoes. Use the usual winter-driving common sense tips and slow the hell down...and watch for idiots in SUVs as they go barreling and fishtailing by! If I had a dollar for every one of those I've encountered I could retire tomorrow!