Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Advice Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:01 PM
StangRider89
1st Gear Member

Default Winter Advice Needed.

I still do not have a mustang but May or June is the ETA. anyway I plan on using it as a DD and I am just wondering what is your experiences with driving these beasts in the winter. I was thinking maybe fatter snow tires. I currently drive a two wheel drive ford ranger that is terrible in snow (however this is when my car is its most fun) so I got driving sideways down to a science. Do any of you drive yours in snow or should I try and keep the ranger and put the car away.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-04-2010, 02:09 PM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

How long do you plan on keeping your Mustang and in what condition? Anlthough tempting, I keep mine away in the winter. I do have access to another vehicle in the winter, a Dodge Durango 4x4.

You do mention that you will be using it as your DD. If you can afford it, and your county/region uses a lot of salt on the roads, get a good set of WINTER tires on steel rims. Save your good rims for the nice weather.

There are others on here who use their Stang in the winter snow especially us northerners who can offer more advice but I would definately suggest good tires at the minimum.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:13 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

I put winter tires on my stock wheels, that gave a excuse to buy aftermarket summer wheels

I live near Chicago, nevver have a issue in the snow with my winter tires.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:16 PM
kda1967
1st Gear Member

Mine stays tucked in the garage when the snow flies. Take it out for a spin on nice days. I live on the south suburbs of Chicago & there are probably 4-5 days a year that would be really bad in the stang.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Despite what anyone says, the Stang is barely marginal in a really bad snow even with snow tires and weight. That comes from someone with over 36 years of driving experience on over a dozen different cars. Keep the truck. Otherwise, buy a few dozen extra pairs of BVD's with your Stang.

I live now in the NW burbs of Chicago and there have already been more than 4 or 5 days that would have been bad in the Stang and the winter has just started.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:41 PM
StangRider89
1st Gear Member

I will probably only get $1500 for my truck and it runs perfect with 130,000 miles. So I am really torn on keeping it. If I sell it my parents(I am 20 got one year of school left) will cover insurance on the stang. If I keep the ranger I have to pay for the insurance on the stang. When ever I get this mustang I want to hang on to it for a while and keep building it up. I live near Chicago so I would definitely put the snow tires and steel rims. Is the salt going to ruin anything.

I want to put sway bars, shocks, struts, watts link, etc. for suspension. and supercharger most likely edelbrock and LT header to the tips exhaust system in it. This car will become my baby and want to treat her like that, but I am not afraid to put miles on her. I am buying the car to drive it.

I also live near Chicago
Old 01-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you can afford to, keep the truck. You'll be less pissed off being hit or hitting something with the truck than with the Stang. Rust is rust. Salt and chemicals accelerate rust. Drive your car in it and you'll see the signs within a few years especially on the chassis. Pressure wash it or rinse it all you want; you can't get rid of it all.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:59 PM
wusthof
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadyNinja
I put winter tires on my stock wheels, that gave a excuse to buy aftermarket summer wheels
x2............I hope. Anyhoo, you don't want wide tires for snow!!!! The narrower, the better. You may not look kool, but they'll do a better job. Just think, what cuts thru snow better - a ski, or a snowboard. There weren't a lot of choices for me with the 17's, but I found some 225/55-17 Pirellis. Narrow and tall, that's wat you want! Oh ya, and if you're thinking about putting some weight in the car, put it in the back seat, NOT the trunk - it's a lot safer that way (inertia...... blah blah). My .02
Old 01-04-2010, 03:00 PM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

There is a difference between your daily driver and your "Baby".

For a daily driver without any big plans to mod, I'd go the winter tire route.

But for your pampered baby....a beater (in this case your truck) is the only option.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:32 PM
StangRider89
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
If you can afford to, keep the truck. You'll be less pissed off being hit or hitting something with the truck than with the Stang. Rust is rust. Salt and chemicals accelerate rust. Drive your car in it and you'll see the signs within a few years especially on the chassis. Pressure wash it or rinse it all you want; you can't get rid of it all.
Thanks for the reality check I am real **** about my things so I am going to keep the truck. I will make it work. Should not be to difficult. I responsible as hell with my money so I will be alright. Idk why I thought I could keep it perfect and drive it in the snow. I will still put some snow tires and rims on because i will more likely then not still take it out once and a while. For important Dates and such you got to have a sweet ride.

I want this to be my baby. Thank you all for the help.

Quick Reply: Winter Advice Needed.