Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bonehead left key on

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:17 AM
gils maui pony
1st Gear Member

Default bonehead left key on

What the heck kind of battery cable hookup is in this 06 GT? I went and left the key on after down loading a tune, now my battery is flat! ....OK I'll say it, I can't figure out how to take these wires off without feeling like I'm having to over work the issue.....is it really that simple that my sofisticated mind can't lower itself to that level or what?

I called the "dealer" he states with a (long pause) that charging the car with the battery installed is not a good idea...I don't like ideas, I need facts, when it comes to something that can become pricey. anyone have factual knowledge?. I can't find any online,,,,

P.S. what the **** was wrong with the method???

Aloha,
Old 01-06-2010, 09:09 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

if you are asking how to disconnect the battery
cables, there is a nut that you loosen. i think
it might be 5/16 or somewhere around that.

you loosen the nut until the clamp is loose, then
you wiggle it and lift it up off the battery post
at the same time.

hope this helps.

disconnect the negative side first, then the
postive side. when hooking back up, reverse
the order.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As far as charging is concerned, it's better on these cars to charge with the battery disconnected since most chargers deliver "dirty" power whcih can screw with or destroy electronics. However, a quality charger including some of the better trickle chargers (Battery Tender, for example) are supposedly relatively clean (both my GT and the g/f's Stangs are in storage with Battery Tenders connected and the batteries NOT disconnected).
Old 01-06-2010, 03:41 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Start the car and take it for a good long drive. 30-45 mins of driving should give you a good enough charge and you'll build up more tomorrow when you start it again.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

MIne sits all winter with a trickle charger and the battery not disconnected.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:40 PM
gils maui pony
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
As far as charging is concerned, it's better on these cars to charge with the battery disconnected since most chargers deliver "dirty" power whcih can screw with or destroy electronics. However, a quality charger including some of the better trickle chargers (Battery Tender, for example) are supposedly relatively clean (both my GT and the g/f's Stangs are in storage with Battery Tenders connected and the batteries NOT disconnected).
Thanks Nuke. Like I stated, I just left the key on over night, so, I'm not storing the car just need to charge the battery to get on down the road. I'll just jump it and drive it around. I just didn't want any jumper cable marks on my cable ends....is that crazy or just being a respectful Mustang GT anthusiast?

What I meant about the method was, couldn't the SIMPLE old style of clamps accomplish the same results? enginners have to justify thier salary I guess.....

Last edited by gils maui pony; 01-06-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 PM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

I've never even thought about jumper cable marks and I'm fairly particular, but I guess you could use one of those cables that jumps your car through the power port in the dash or console.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gils maui pony
...I just didn't want any jumper cable marks on my cable ends...
You're kidding?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:08 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNT1968
I've never even thought about jumper cable marks and I'm fairly particular, but I guess you could use one of those cables that jumps your car through the power port in the dash or console.
I've never really trusted those things. The wiring on the power port is pretty thin, and I don't believe it could take a lot of juice if needed. Sometimes I have seen the jumper cables get hot when doing a jump. It depends how much power is being drawn through. I would rather have jumper marks on the battery terminals than have toasted wiring inside the dash.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:43 AM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

^^I've never used one of those types of jumpers; just thought it could be a viable alternative if you don 't care about scratches on the inside of your power ports

Quick Reply: bonehead left key on