Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

2006 Mustang GT Hits 160,500 Mile Mark

Old 01-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #41
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT

Even my V6 1998 Mustang has been great, 155,000 miles on it now...had an oil leak on the rear crank seal and replaced the clutch at that time and an fuel pump issue that I had to replace. This is my DD and I drive the @#%$ out of it, no issues other than that
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #42
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Vehicle: 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken04 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasvette
it runs like a scalded ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302me
still runs like a raped ape.

not to be confused with, but very similar to; runs like a striped *** ape.
You guys are going ape schit over this now...
Old 01-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #43
gman73
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: RIP 06 Mustang GT

Wow! 160,000 miles on the stock clutch, that's encouraging. Have made any track passes in the car?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #44
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Convertible Ford Mustang

I keep my 08 GT/CS in a garage and don't have a daily job. I do freelance work so the car stays in the garage a lot during the day. I really want to keep the car for at least 10 years and hope to get 300,000+ miles on it before I buy another Mustang.
Reverse Camera, Magnaflow Axle Backs, Lloyd Floor Mats
Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 Tires
Mustangmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #45
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to Cal26Stang Send a message via Yahoo to Cal26Stang

hahah your joking right? american cars don't hold a candle to bmw, audi, benz in terms of engineering or reliability

***Selling.....Stock gt springs, stock shifter, stock passenger side mirror (inside is bad, but glass is good)
PM me for details and pics
Cal26Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:12 AM   #46
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 GT

You guys have better luck with your high mileage cars than i've had with mine. Mines a 05 GT, got it with 1022 miles on it. So far:

Had water leak on passenger floor
Battery died after one week. It did sit on the lot til Jan 07 when i bought it.
AC compressor seal replaced
Rear gears replaced
Fuel pump replaced
TBS sensor replaced

All that was under warranty and mostly TSB stuff. Right front strut started leaking, noticed it at 31k. Replaced struts and shocks myself with Konis and got the upgraded bearings while I had it apart. Sure hope nothing else goes wrong for a while. I reckon thats the chance you take when buying a new model year thats been redesigned. Still love it madly and hope it lasts the rest of my life. It's got 34k miles on it now.

Last edited by White05GT; 01-08-2010 at 02:13 AM. Reason: added more info
White05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:39 AM   #47
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman73 View Post
Wow! 160,000 miles on the stock clutch, that's encouraging. Have made any track passes in the car?
No quarter mile runs in this one. But this car hasn't been babied either. It's tougher than I thought it would be.
2006 Black GT Manual- 211,000 Trouble-Free Miles! - Steeda CAI w/SCT BAMA 93 Race - CMDPS - JBA Headers - Pypes X with Hi Flow Cats - 4.10 Gears -Steeda UDPs - Hurst Shifter - Steeda Sport Springs - Steeda Pro Action Struts/Shocks - Steeda Adj. Panhard - Steeda Rear Sway Bar - Bullitt Steering Wheel - G-Trac Brace -OEM Mufflers - Baer Decelarotors - HAWK Pads - Royal Purple Trans/Diff Fluid ** FOR SALE ON AUTOTRADER.COM **
wasvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:51 AM   #48
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal26Stang View Post
hahah your joking right? american cars don't hold a candle to bmw, audi, benz in terms of engineering or reliability
Even though you're just joking, consumer reports disagrees with that statement - Based on performance, reliability, and crash testing Ford vehicles as a percentage fared better than the 3 Euro brands above....and these are the new ones....you couldn't give me an older bimmer or audi with 160k

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...to-z-index.htm
2006 Black GT Manual- 211,000 Trouble-Free Miles! - Steeda CAI w/SCT BAMA 93 Race - CMDPS - JBA Headers - Pypes X with Hi Flow Cats - 4.10 Gears -Steeda UDPs - Hurst Shifter - Steeda Sport Springs - Steeda Pro Action Struts/Shocks - Steeda Adj. Panhard - Steeda Rear Sway Bar - Bullitt Steering Wheel - G-Trac Brace -OEM Mufflers - Baer Decelarotors - HAWK Pads - Royal Purple Trans/Diff Fluid ** FOR SALE ON AUTOTRADER.COM **
Old 01-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #49
loots06
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:

Dont be a foolio! That is not true at all!
Shaftmasters 3.5 Aluminum DS, Whipple HO 10 PSI, FR handling Pack w/GT 500 Strut Mounts, FR K sprngs, MGW STS, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, Spec 3+ Clutch, Roush Facia/Spoiler, 9 Bar grill, Agent 47 Mirrors, Borla Stingers, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, Adjustable Panhard Bar, Interceptor guages, and someother stuff
loots06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #50
Archer1

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang GT

My friends high end BMWs are in the shop all the time. The latest was a dead battery after he left it in the garage for one week! 2 years old...! I got my GT with 75k on it and it came with full service records. It made one trip for a repair to the gas tank filler lines under TSB. It can still be hard to fuel. I think that car reputations are like politics: If you tell a lie often enough, people take it as fact.
Archer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:17 AM   #51
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 GT -Sold-

Quote:
AHAHAHHAHAHA hilarious.....my god.......geez......I just spit coffee on my keyboard. I love your sense of humor....so funny.

Oh man, I will never own another german car unless I lease it. I don't want to deal with its crap after 50k miles. And of all those, Audi is the most unreliable ball of crap.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #52
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

I get a big kick out of you guyz, beating your chests about these high mileage Stangs. "And I only had to replace this and this and that and this and that..."

As I stated earlier, I've owned 6 Toyotas. 3 of those I sold after more than 200,000 miles. The other 2 were sold with 178,000 and 152,000 miles. 1 is still new. I probably spent less in non-PM maintenance on all 6 than what you guys spent on any 2 Fords after 100,000 miles on each. In addition, I had maybe 2 warranty service items that had to be taken care of with all 6 as opposed to the dozen or so of TSB and warranty items on the 1 Stang.

It's easy to say what a great car our Stangs are when you have nothing better to compare it to.

But don't get me wrong; I love my Stang and MIGHT even consider a Ford as a DD in the future. But if I do, I do it with the expectation that there will be more warranty related repairs and TSB items than I've grown accustomed to.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars

Last edited by Nuke; 01-08-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #53
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Saleen S281E

I can say I have never seen that many miles on a mustang before. Keep that puppy running strong.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #54
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
I get a big kick out of you guyz, beating your chests about these high mileage Stangs. "And I only had to replace this and this and that and this and that..."

As I stated earlier, I've owned 6 Toyotas. 3 of those I sold after more than 200,000 miles. The other 2 were sold with 178,000 and 152,000 miles. 1 is still new. I probably spent less in non-PM maintenance on all 6 than what you guys spent on any 2 Fords after 100,000 miles on each. In addition, I had maybe 2 warranty service items that had to be taken care of with all 6 as opposed to the dozen or so of TSB and warranty items on the 1 Stang.

It's easy to say what a great car our Stangs are when you have nothing better to compare it to.

But don't get me wrong; I love my Stang and MIGHT even consider a Ford as a DD in the future. But if I do, I do it with the expectation that there will be more warranty related repairs and TSB items than I've grown accustomed to.
Rick - With all due respect and in the spirit of debate, your post spins the topic somewhat...but I enjoyed reading your view...

1st The original post is about a Mustang with 160,500 miles - matter of fact post
with no "chest beating" that I can see even after re-reading

2nd If you've spent less on preventative maintenance than what is in my list, then you
have neglected routine oil, filter, etc changes because I've done the basic. Also,
I wouldn't call having a fuel pump replaced proactively (there was no problem) and
a clutch pack in a rear end "a lot of warranty-related repairs".

3rd You're comparing apples to oranges somewhat here - Most Toyotas I'm familiar with
have relatively low horsepower, aren't modified, and are driven gently. So we're
comparing the Mustang (higher horsepower, modified usually for more hp, and gets the
**** driven out of it) to a Toyota. If you a few of the guys on this forum drive one
of your Toyotas for a month, I'd like to see how it holds up.

4th My mustang may be the exception to most but it's still a high mile mustang with
minimal issues

5th We're rooting for your stang to be honored as your dd

Again, Nuke all in good spirit.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #55
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasvette View Post
Rick - With all due respect and in the spirit of debate, your post spins the topic somewhat...but I enjoyed reading your view......

2nd If you've spent less on preventative maintenance than what is in my list, then you have neglected routine oil, filter, etc changes because I've done the basic. Also, I wouldn't call having a fuel pump replaced proactively (there was no problem) and a clutch pack in a rear end "a lot of warranty-related repairs"...

Again, Nuke all in good spirit.
Agreed, in all good spirit. I'm sure it came off as me blasting Fords but the underlying point that I was trying to make was, that until you've owned multiple vehicles (in my case, 6 totaling close to or over 1,000,000 miles) manufactured by one company with very few problems at all, it's difficult to read thru some of these posts which I'm sure are meant well but not having a point-of-reference as those who have owned many more vehicles have. And in addition to those 6 Toyotas (1 of those over 200,000 miles and another over 152,000 were tow vehicles), I own and have owned at least an additional 6 of various manufacture.

BTW, I had mentioned spending less in NON-Preventive Maintenance above.

Regardless, I think Ford has come a long way; hence my comment that I will certainly consider a Ford as my DD when the day comes. But since my current 4Runner has only 16,000 miles and another 200,000 or more to go, that could be awhile.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars

Last edited by Nuke; 01-08-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #56
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Agreed, in all good spirit. I'm sure it came off as me blasting Fords but the underlying point that I was trying to make was, that until you've owned multiple vehicles (in my case, 6 totaling close to or over 1,000,000 miles) manufactured by one company with very few problems at all, it's difficult to read thru some of these posts which I'm sure are meant well but not having a point-of-reference as those who have owned many more vehicles have. And in addition to those 6 Toyotas (1 of those over 200,000 miles and another over 152,000 were tow vehicles), I own and have owned at least an additional 6 of various manufacture.

BTW, I had mentioned spending less in NON-Preventive Maintenance above.

Regardless, I think Ford has come a long way; hence my comment that I will certainly consider a Ford as my DD when the day comes. But since my current 4Runner has only 16,000 miles and another 200,000 or more to go, that could be awhile.
Nuke - It's all good - another point with my car and 160k is I'm not sure if it's typical or not...I'm just glad it's gone this far....this is the 1st new ford I've owned...other 15+ vehicles have been Vettes and other GMs...and for the record, no one is going to question Toyotas reliability over the last 20+ years....so which one of us do you trust with the 4Runner for a weekend to perform a durability test :~)
Old 01-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #57
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasvette View Post
....so which one of us do you trust with the 4Runner for a weekend to perform a durability test :~)
Off topic but since you're the OP...

Funny you should ask. I'm going out-of-town and my g/f made a statement about using the 4Runner while I was gone. There was a pang thru my heart for a split second. She's driven my Stang (and quite well despite her lead foot) before I got her her own Pony so having her drive the 4Runner shouldn't be painful... Or should it? LOL! I sometimes think we tend to love our toys a little TOO much...
Old 01-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #58
svtsupremecy
1st Gear Member

Quote:
really? I will agree that german engineering is pretty top notch but you do pay for it. reliability tho...I would say its as good as any other car manufacturer EXCEPT its 3x more to fix.

My brother just switched from merc-benz to aston martin as a technician and we talk cars all the time. basically he would tell me owning a merc-benz after 5 years and your going to pay some serious $. thats why alot of their business is short-term leasing. And if you look at the Merc-benz, BMW, ...etc their used cars can be had for fairly good deals because of the maintenance.
svtsupremecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #59
alkemist
5th Gear Member

a1kemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangRider89 View Post
That is hilarious because my dad drives a Toyota tundra 06 and he has had 3 or 4 chips in his windshield and went through two windshields since he got the truck. haha and he always when driving up to Wisconsin he will just chill in the left lane and always ends up behind trucks. I told him that is why he always gets the chipps. haha
Uffff, Wisconsin is full of trucks, especially dump trucks and they loved to spray their junk all over.

I got a chip in the windshield driving to work, and it wasn't from a dump truck!! They had stripped the road for re-pavement and someone must of kicked up a couple rocks at me

To the OP, amazing about your GT. I've always been preached to about how American cars were always unreliable and crappy. This proves it wrong!!

Silver Mustang Registry #1185
Roush Front Fascias, Roush Chin Spoiler, Roush Rear Wing, Roush Louvers, Roush Strut Tower Brace, Nine Bar Grille, 15% Llumar Tint, SLP Loudmouths, Nitto 555 285/40/18R & 255/45/18F on Black 18" FR500's, FRPP 4.10, BBK CAI, 93 Brenspeed Tune, 5spd Automatic

"I'd rather be a comma than a full stop"
alkemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #60
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Vehicle: 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtsupremecy View Post
really? I will agree that german engineering is pretty top notch but you do pay for it. reliability tho...I would say its as good as any other car manufacturer EXCEPT its 3x more to fix.

My brother just switched from merc-benz to aston martin as a technician and we talk cars all the time. basically he would tell me owning a merc-benz after 5 years and your going to pay some serious $. thats why alot of their business is short-term leasing. And if you look at the Merc-benz, BMW, ...etc their used cars can be had for fairly good deals because of the maintenance.
German cars took a dump for the worse the last 10 years and they are now overpriced peices of shat.
Just that simple.

Toyota is still the first in reliability but they're too damn boring for me.
Ford isn't too far behind but there is still room for improvement that could be easily achieved (even with obstacles like Unions).
Old 01-08-2010, 03:40 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2006, change, clutch, coolant, differential, dont, gt, gtg, light, mark, mustang, oe, oil, shifter, synthetic, whining, work