Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Mustang GT Hits 160,500 Mile Mark

Old 01-07-2010, 07:56 AM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wasvette
Hard to say with the mods. It doesn't feel like it's lost anything. With the combo of mods and finally a tune I like, it runs like a scalded ape for not being F.I. The Nitto 555's have a hard time staying planted.
haha awesome! thats good news for me to hear! i plan on keeping mine for as long as i can, and that is all good information for me. when we got my stang it had 38,138 miles on it, that was last april, and now its got 48,807. college is about 180 miles from my house, so about 2-3k are from the trip from school to home. thats so tight that the engine still runs strong after this long. i remember hearing that an e39 m5 would start to lose a bit of power after about 150k miles, sometimes due to carbon buildup or something. would you recommend replacing spark plugs? i think i still have the stock ones in my car
Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by m5miler
haha awesome! thats good news for me to hear! i plan on keeping mine for as long as i can, and that is all good information for me. when we got my stang it had 38,138 miles on it, that was last april, and now its got 48,807. college is about 180 miles from my house, so about 2-3k are from the trip from school to home. thats so tight that the engine still runs strong after this long. i remember hearing that an e39 m5 would start to lose a bit of power after about 150k miles, sometimes due to carbon buildup or something. would you recommend replacing spark plugs? i think i still have the stock ones in my car
I wouldn't even think of touching the plugs until 100k unless you had/have some issue that compromised them. I did mine about 105k? and noticed no difference at all but knew it was time. When you do follow the latest Ford TSB to the letter and then some. I let the carb cleaner wick a little longer after each 1/8" turn than they said to do.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:01 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

My 98 Ranger got about 220,000 before popping a head gasket. Fords rock.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:22 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by m5miler
would you recommend replacing spark plugs? i think i still have the stock ones in my car
I would purely because the chances of breaking one off increases the higher mileage you go.

The Original Poster changed his at 100k+ miles with no problem but again his miles are mainly highway miles.

I changed mine at 60k and they were squealing. I would get em out asap.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:38 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thedrod
I would purely because the chances of breaking one off increases the higher mileage you go.

The Original Poster changed his at 100k+ miles with no problem but again his miles are mainly highway miles.

I changed mine at 60k and they were squealing. I would get em out asap.
Mine squealed too - I think that is the plug threads against the aluminum. To your point, it wouldn't hurt anything to change them now. It won't be a pleasant experience whenever it is done...I was freaked one would break for sure.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 AM
StangRider89
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
The trick is to not stay/follow behind a dump truck or any vehicle involved with construction sites.
Put a Toyota in between,
That is hilarious because my dad drives a Toyota tundra 06 and he has had 3 or 4 chips in his windshield and went through two windshields since he got the truck. haha and he always when driving up to Wisconsin he will just chill in the left lane and always ends up behind trucks. I told him that is why he always gets the chipps. haha
Old 01-07-2010, 11:54 AM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

My story isn't all that different from the OP... I have an 07 GT that I bought with 3 miles on it, and it currently has 91,000 miles on it! The only thing I've had done is a wheel pressure sensor went bad, and I had to replace the windshield. I do have SEVERAL paint chips on the hood, and I got caught in a severe hail storm last year that left me with a few dings, but other than that, it still runs like it always has! perfect!

I think it's the best car I've ever owned, and for the money, I don't really think there's a better deal to be had!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:21 PM
302me
2nd Gear Member

I love my 06'. Just turned over 115K last week and still runs like a raped ape. the only major issues were the alternator, but other than regular maintenance it runs like it did when I brought it home, with 6 miles on her. two trips to Vegas from Philly and more than a dozen to New England and she rides like new.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:49 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

it runs like a scalded ape
Originally Posted by 302me
still runs like a raped ape.
Can you two please explain the differences here.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
it runs like a scalded ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302me
still runs like a raped ape.

Originally Posted by thedrod
Can you two please explain the differences here.
not to be confused with, but very similar to; runs like a striped *** ape.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Mustang GT Hits 160,500 Mile Mark