Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Mustang GT Hits 160,500 Mile Mark

Old 01-08-2010, 08:17 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang
hahah your joking right? american cars don't hold a candle to bmw, audi, benz in terms of engineering or reliability
AHAHAHHAHAHA hilarious.....my god.......geez......I just spit coffee on my keyboard. I love your sense of humor....so funny.

Oh man, I will never own another german car unless I lease it. I don't want to deal with its crap after 50k miles. And of all those, Audi is the most unreliable ball of crap.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I get a big kick out of you guyz, beating your chests about these high mileage Stangs. "And I only had to replace this and this and that and this and that..."

As I stated earlier, I've owned 6 Toyotas. 3 of those I sold after more than 200,000 miles. The other 2 were sold with 178,000 and 152,000 miles. 1 is still new. I probably spent less in non-PM maintenance on all 6 than what you guys spent on any 2 Fords after 100,000 miles on each. In addition, I had maybe 2 warranty service items that had to be taken care of with all 6 as opposed to the dozen or so of TSB and warranty items on the 1 Stang.

It's easy to say what a great car our Stangs are when you have nothing better to compare it to.

But don't get me wrong; I love my Stang and MIGHT even consider a Ford as a DD in the future. But if I do, I do it with the expectation that there will be more warranty related repairs and TSB items than I've grown accustomed to.

Last edited by Nuke; 01-08-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:24 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

I can say I have never seen that many miles on a mustang before. Keep that puppy running strong.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:28 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I get a big kick out of you guyz, beating your chests about these high mileage Stangs. "And I only had to replace this and this and that and this and that..."

As I stated earlier, I've owned 6 Toyotas. 3 of those I sold after more than 200,000 miles. The other 2 were sold with 178,000 and 152,000 miles. 1 is still new. I probably spent less in non-PM maintenance on all 6 than what you guys spent on any 2 Fords after 100,000 miles on each. In addition, I had maybe 2 warranty service items that had to be taken care of with all 6 as opposed to the dozen or so of TSB and warranty items on the 1 Stang.

It's easy to say what a great car our Stangs are when you have nothing better to compare it to.

But don't get me wrong; I love my Stang and MIGHT even consider a Ford as a DD in the future. But if I do, I do it with the expectation that there will be more warranty related repairs and TSB items than I've grown accustomed to.
Rick - With all due respect and in the spirit of debate, your post spins the topic somewhat...but I enjoyed reading your view...

1st The original post is about a Mustang with 160,500 miles - matter of fact post
with no "chest beating" that I can see even after re-reading

2nd If you've spent less on preventative maintenance than what is in my list, then you
have neglected routine oil, filter, etc changes because I've done the basic. Also,
I wouldn't call having a fuel pump replaced proactively (there was no problem) and
a clutch pack in a rear end "a lot of warranty-related repairs".

3rd You're comparing apples to oranges somewhat here - Most Toyotas I'm familiar with
have relatively low horsepower, aren't modified, and are driven gently. So we're
comparing the Mustang (higher horsepower, modified usually for more hp, and gets the
**** driven out of it) to a Toyota. If you a few of the guys on this forum drive one
of your Toyotas for a month, I'd like to see how it holds up.

4th My mustang may be the exception to most but it's still a high mile mustang with
minimal issues

5th We're rooting for your stang to be honored as your dd

Again, Nuke all in good spirit.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wasvette
Rick - With all due respect and in the spirit of debate, your post spins the topic somewhat...but I enjoyed reading your view......

2nd If you've spent less on preventative maintenance than what is in my list, then you have neglected routine oil, filter, etc changes because I've done the basic. Also, I wouldn't call having a fuel pump replaced proactively (there was no problem) and a clutch pack in a rear end "a lot of warranty-related repairs"...

Again, Nuke all in good spirit.
Agreed, in all good spirit. I'm sure it came off as me blasting Fords but the underlying point that I was trying to make was, that until you've owned multiple vehicles (in my case, 6 totaling close to or over 1,000,000 miles) manufactured by one company with very few problems at all, it's difficult to read thru some of these posts which I'm sure are meant well but not having a point-of-reference as those who have owned many more vehicles have. And in addition to those 6 Toyotas (1 of those over 200,000 miles and another over 152,000 were tow vehicles), I own and have owned at least an additional 6 of various manufacture.

BTW, I had mentioned spending less in NON-Preventive Maintenance above.

Regardless, I think Ford has come a long way; hence my comment that I will certainly consider a Ford as my DD when the day comes. But since my current 4Runner has only 16,000 miles and another 200,000 or more to go, that could be awhile.

Last edited by Nuke; 01-08-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:11 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Agreed, in all good spirit. I'm sure it came off as me blasting Fords but the underlying point that I was trying to make was, that until you've owned multiple vehicles (in my case, 6 totaling close to or over 1,000,000 miles) manufactured by one company with very few problems at all, it's difficult to read thru some of these posts which I'm sure are meant well but not having a point-of-reference as those who have owned many more vehicles have. And in addition to those 6 Toyotas (1 of those over 200,000 miles and another over 152,000 were tow vehicles), I own and have owned at least an additional 6 of various manufacture.

BTW, I had mentioned spending less in NON-Preventive Maintenance above.

Regardless, I think Ford has come a long way; hence my comment that I will certainly consider a Ford as my DD when the day comes. But since my current 4Runner has only 16,000 miles and another 200,000 or more to go, that could be awhile.
Nuke - It's all good - another point with my car and 160k is I'm not sure if it's typical or not...I'm just glad it's gone this far....this is the 1st new ford I've owned...other 15+ vehicles have been Vettes and other GMs...and for the record, no one is going to question Toyotas reliability over the last 20+ years....so which one of us do you trust with the 4Runner for a weekend to perform a durability test :~)
Old 01-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wasvette
....so which one of us do you trust with the 4Runner for a weekend to perform a durability test :~)
Off topic but since you're the OP...

Funny you should ask. I'm going out-of-town and my g/f made a statement about using the 4Runner while I was gone. There was a pang thru my heart for a split second. She's driven my Stang (and quite well despite her lead foot) before I got her her own Pony so having her drive the 4Runner shouldn't be painful... Or should it? LOL! I sometimes think we tend to love our toys a little TOO much...
Old 01-08-2010, 02:03 PM
svtsupremecy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang
hahah your joking right? american cars don't hold a candle to bmw, audi, benz in terms of engineering or reliability
really? I will agree that german engineering is pretty top notch but you do pay for it. reliability tho...I would say its as good as any other car manufacturer EXCEPT its 3x more to fix.

My brother just switched from merc-benz to aston martin as a technician and we talk cars all the time. basically he would tell me owning a merc-benz after 5 years and your going to pay some serious $. thats why alot of their business is short-term leasing. And if you look at the Merc-benz, BMW, ...etc their used cars can be had for fairly good deals because of the maintenance.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:38 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangRider89
That is hilarious because my dad drives a Toyota tundra 06 and he has had 3 or 4 chips in his windshield and went through two windshields since he got the truck. haha and he always when driving up to Wisconsin he will just chill in the left lane and always ends up behind trucks. I told him that is why he always gets the chipps. haha
Uffff, Wisconsin is full of trucks, especially dump trucks and they loved to spray their junk all over.

I got a chip in the windshield driving to work, and it wasn't from a dump truck!! They had stripped the road for re-pavement and someone must of kicked up a couple rocks at me

To the OP, amazing about your GT. I've always been preached to about how American cars were always unreliable and crappy. This proves it wrong!!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:40 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by svtsupremecy
really? I will agree that german engineering is pretty top notch but you do pay for it. reliability tho...I would say its as good as any other car manufacturer EXCEPT its 3x more to fix.

My brother just switched from merc-benz to aston martin as a technician and we talk cars all the time. basically he would tell me owning a merc-benz after 5 years and your going to pay some serious $. thats why alot of their business is short-term leasing. And if you look at the Merc-benz, BMW, ...etc their used cars can be had for fairly good deals because of the maintenance.
German cars took a dump for the worse the last 10 years and they are now overpriced peices of shat.
Just that simple.

Toyota is still the first in reliability but they're too damn boring for me.
Ford isn't too far behind but there is still room for improvement that could be easily achieved (even with obstacles like Unions).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Mustang GT Hits 160,500 Mile Mark