Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sooooo I did a *little* engine bay cleanup/rewiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 03:36 AM
zektor

Maybe I'm the only one... but I think you need to be off your head to attempt that with a modern car. Unless you REALLY know what you're doing!?

Even if all's well after surgery, this car could be frought with electrical problems days / weeks / years down the line. Electrical gremlin's could quite easily manifest themselves. I hope your connections are good, because if they are not... dampness will creep in before long creating some of these electrical gremlins.

As for taking off the front fender to mount the ECU.... really?

Unless you are planning on turning your Mustang into a gleaming show car with the hood up 50% of the time... I don't see the point.

Like I've mentioned already, I hope you know what your are doing because if you don't, be prepared for some heartache later on down the line.

BTW, if you were selling your car and I was a potential buyer. One look under the hood and I would be gone.

Otherwise, if you DO know what your are doing. Good on you. But I still wouldn't buy it from you!

Cheers
Dazza
Old 01-10-2010, 06:32 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Nice job!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:09 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Looks awesome!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:29 AM
paydirt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zektor
Maybe I'm the only one... but I think you need to be off your head to attempt that with a modern car. Unless you REALLY know what you're doing!?

Even if all's well after surgery, this car could be frought with electrical problems days / weeks / years down the line. Electrical gremlin's could quite easily manifest themselves. I hope your connections are good, because if they are not... dampness will creep in before long creating some of these electrical gremlins.

As for taking off the front fender to mount the ECU.... really?

Unless you are planning on turning your Mustang into a gleaming show car with the hood up 50% of the time... I don't see the point.

Like I've mentioned already, I hope you know what your are doing because if you don't, be prepared for some heartache later on down the line.

BTW, if you were selling your car and I was a potential buyer. One look under the hood and I would be gone.

Otherwise, if you DO know what your are doing. Good on you. But I still wouldn't buy it from you!

Cheers
Dazza

Hater.

Looks amazing, I'm a big believer in a wire free engine bay, and you did an excellent job. Looks great.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Looks awesome, but a little empty on that side lol
Old 01-10-2010, 12:09 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Looks like you got allot of room on the left hand side... time for some Twin Turbos!!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:34 PM
memphisstylee

Americaniron - funny you should mention that. I had started out with intentions of making a DIY but it kinda fluttered out as I went along. But I did take a few pics of the during process and could easily walk someone through this entire mod. So unless I can get a hold of another stang to do this and get exact measurements then Ill just have to do rough estimates and guidelines or rip mine apart when its warmer and take some measurements.

joekr, flyingpants, TNT1968 - I spent about a lil over a week working on this working for about 16 hrs a day. But the majority of that time was me experimenting with where to mount things and where to run wires. So with that being said, I could get this whole job done in a weekend if I did it again. And since there is a lot of interest in it I will do my best to do a write up on this. And if I can find someone who would be willing to work out a deal on labor and everything then ill do this to another car and do a literal step by step photo DIY. Like I said earlier, itd be super easy to do this again now that I know where I ran everything and mounted things.

SirKnightTg - You could do this and leave the PCM and fuse box where it is and still be able to drastically clean up the engine bay. There was someone else on another forum who had a saleen that had done that and it looked really good. He claimed he put in some astronomical amount of time into it but I dont think it was that hard as he made it seem. Mark's (The Chevy Killer) car is amazing. He has put some serious wrench time into his car and one day mine will be among the ranks of his and several others.

ejanderson05gt - thanks, ill work on writing up a temp DIY until I do this again. Im in Jonesboro, how about you?

Zektor - Dazza, I've been working with electronics and wiring for more than 8 years so all the solder joints and heat shrinks were done properly. Should the electrical gremlins decide to attack my car, bring it! I enjoy a good challenge. I took the fender off for several reasons. First, it made it easier to work around in the engine while doing this mod. Second, I had planned to mount the PCM there because its out the way and protected. And as for selling my car, I have no plans to ever sell this car and hope to pass it onto my future kids one day.

Starfire - I agree that it does look empty on that side right now but my future plans are hopefully going to balance everything out quite nicely. Just gotta save up some money to get em done lol

~Scott
Old 01-10-2010, 09:19 PM
wolfie
1st Gear Member

That looks incredible.

I'm with budders...twin turbo time
Old 01-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

VERY NICE ! That would look great with some chrome valve covers and headers.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:01 AM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

I'm living in Little Rock for college now, originally from Cabot. You said you were looking for a guinea pig to do the DIY, I'd be more than happy to work something out with you. PM me if you're interested man.

Eric

Quick Reply: Sooooo I did a *little* engine bay cleanup/rewiring