Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skipping a Beat

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:22 AM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
its "HEET" guys all "E"s no "A". hope that fixes it. if not, we will find it. fuel is making it into the cylinder but not burning so checking the ignition coils would be my next step. are you running at 10 psi steady? does it fluctuate? i you have a scan tool i would try to read the codes anyways. i have never checked a CEL in my mustang but in my eclipse, the computer would have to see the problem a few times in a row before it would throw a CEL. Good luck dude!

With an ODBII computer, the computer has to detect the fault twice in the same 'drive cycle' to set it off the light. But with no CEL, it leads me to believe that its not ignition related. Did the HEET work?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:27 AM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigblue95z
With an ODBII computer, the computer has to detect the fault twice in the same 'drive cycle' to set it off the light. But with no CEL, it leads me to believe that its not ignition related. Did the HEET work?
Put HEET in yesterday. No difference that I can tell. Down to 3/8 tank. I will burn all the fuel change the fuel filter and then will start digging further. Checked for Unmeasured air (all the intake clamps etc everything seems normal). It has been a few days now if the computer had a code would have thrown it by now. The skip is very minor, the engine does not seem to be affected under load (50%+) only under minimal load (under 40%) It is none the less annoying to hear it and knowing that something is wrong...
Old 01-19-2010, 10:16 AM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Well I burned all the fuel less a gallon (refilled abt 15.2 Gallons of Shell 93). The skip is still there. Mildly improved.

it behaves as follows:

idle - Normal no skip
acceleration - Normal no skip
Maintaining speed any gear- Skip every second or two. (better while on 5th I suspect due to increased load). Higher rpm (like 3000rpm doing 80 or so on freeway 5th gear) skip less noticeable.

What do you say.

Boost behaves normal, and no it is not constant 10psi. it starts at -22 idle normal accelelation is still in vacuum (say -5-10 psi) maintaining speed is abt -15. Hard acceleration jumps to to 5 then 7 and then 10 and a bit. This is how it always worked and I am not concerned about the SC.

I am thinking that I may have a clogged fuel injector.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:10 AM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

hmm... so it has gotten a little better? the heet also is "suppose" to help with dirty injectors too. maybe one is not fully closing? does it still backfire? if it is backfiring then i would still think it is something with ignition. have you done anything with your ignition coils?
Old 01-19-2010, 11:53 AM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
hmm... so it has gotten a little better? the heet also is "suppose" to help with dirty injectors too. maybe one is not fully closing? does it still backfire? if it is backfiring then i would still think it is something with ignition. have you done anything with your ignition coils?
It has a mild back fire when decelerating and thats once in a long while (once a day maybe).

I have not done anything with the coils. (other than removing and replacing for checking the spark plugs)

BTW how do you check the coils?

Last edited by vasman; 01-19-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:04 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

I was reading an old thread, and Hammeron was suggesting the O2 sensors. I recently changed my clutch and had to remove everything, may be there is something wrong with my O2's. I will check that next.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I recently had skipping at the lowest end of rpms when accelerating. I thought it may have been my tune so I returned to stock. Had the same skipping. I had 87 tune with 87 gas so I thought I'd try 93 octane and tune on the next tank. Still skipped for the first 20 miles or so then cleared up. My next thought was going to be a new fuel filter.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:56 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

How Do you actually check the COILS?
Old 01-21-2010, 01:33 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

So Far:

1/ Reloaded the tune, removed battery cable,
2/ Put in HEET. Probably got worse.
3/ Burned all the fuel but a gallon and put 15 gallons of shell 93. Slight improvement (may be to the level before heet)
4/ Checked/Cleaned re-spaced all sparkplugs No change
5/ Replaced Fuel Filter- No change
6/ Removed TB cleaned thoroughly and replaced with brand new TB with BBK twin 62mm (it was an upgrade that was sitting on my bench for a while) - No Change
7/ Checked under the car for loose O2 sensors everything normal.

I have no idea how to check the coils so any instruction welcome
Old 01-29-2010, 01:55 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Talking Problem solved

It was the Plugs. They did not look bad but they were apparently. Change them, car is purring smoothly like a kitten

Quick Reply: Skipping a Beat