Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Insurance MyRate device on a S197?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Default Progressive Insurance MyRate device on a S197?

Has anyone had a Progressive Insurance MyRate device pugged in to your S197's ODB-II port?

http://www.progressive.com/myrate/

What did you learn?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:50 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I saw that before, but I said no way after I found out they plug something into your port to "monitor" your driving habits. IMO, it's like them having a leash on you.

In MD, I actually switched over to Geico and they saved me a few hundred compared to progressive, with even better insurance. Full coverage.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

My S197 is a garage queen, but it raises the rates of all 3 of my vehicles. Allstate went up $200, so I got a quote from Geico, Progressive, and Amica. Progressive was $400 less than Allstate with better liability limits ($500,000 CSL). I thought I would try the MyRate device for 6 months. If it's a $100 or more savings I'll keep it. I'll post the results.

Get this, I put 36 miles on her last year (2009), but with insurance premiums it cost me $20 per mile at Allstate :-(
Old 01-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Nutty2003
2nd Gear Member

I had it for 6 months.... it sticks out horribly and actually seemed like. a safety concern...

I learned that the only way to save money with it is to not drive your car... I had like 6 times they deemed I accelerated too fast.. and since I work till 2 am, my drive times were "dangerous" even though I lived .5 miles away from work... still too dangerous to be out....

Do not waste your time...
Old 01-12-2010, 02:33 AM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

I put mine on today just to test it out, so far made two trips... says its going to reduce my premiums by about 8% so far. If I know I am going to go out and have some fun ill just take it off ;P... but for normal driving will leave it on.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:42 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buckshot Barry
Has anyone had a Progressive Insurance MyRate device pugged in to your S197's ODB-II port?

http://www.progressive.com/myrate/

What did you learn?

Not in a million years.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:25 AM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

Got it on my 2010 another local GA stang member has it on his it shows I average less miles&hard brakes then other progressive owners yet it doesn't show any discount on my premium so I think I will be cancelling it shortly
Old 01-12-2010, 09:51 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I had Geico for almost 5 years and was happy with it. Just the otherway I was running quotes (currently uninsured, no vehicle) and Progressive totally whooped Geico's butt. Like, over 500 dollars a year cheaper. Went to an Eerie building here in town yesterday and they were just alittle more expensive than Progressive, but had more coverage and I like having someone I can talk to face to face.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
I had Geico for almost 5 years and was happy with it. Just the otherway I was running quotes (currently uninsured, no vehicle) and Progressive totally whooped Geico's butt. Like, over 500 dollars a year cheaper. Went to an Eerie building here in town yesterday and they were just alittle more expensive than Progressive, but had more coverage and I like having someone I can talk to face to face.
When I talked with progressive to cancel my insurance last July, the rep couldn't "price match" and said yeah, best to go with Geico but they are working on making their rates more competitive in this state. I haven't checked back since.

Not sure about those small insurance companies. When you really need them, they might give you a hard time or difficult to work with. I can understand you wanting to go to an office, but just something to think about. At least progressive and geico are reputable companies. I'm sure they give some ppl hard times too, but at least you know something can be worked out.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:26 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Mine would probably go up if I put one of those things on my stang

Quick Reply: Progressive Insurance MyRate device on a S197?