Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still trying to fix a vibration in the wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:37 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

You need hub centric rings to make sure that the wheels are completely centered on the hub. Even if you properly torque the lug nuts in the proper pattern the wheels can still be slightly off causing a vibration at higher speeds.

-Jeff
Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Another option is to have the wheels balanced while installed on the vehicle, which balances the entire rotating assembly. The bad part is finding a shop with this type of equipment, and obviously the extra $ to have it done.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Tempted

Originally Posted by chain1
And yes, they scratched the black finish on the rims behind the spokes as this is where all the weights were mounted. Is that a normal place to mount weights BTW? It's really not noticeable unless you are looking for it.
Thanks all!
Well, its either put the weights behind the spokes or have them hammered on the face of the wheel! But the scratches still suck.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:31 PM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

Did you ever fix this? I have been fighting the same problem since the day I bought the car (dealer had fitted aftermarket wheels). They have changed the tires, balanced them 3 times, replaced the spacers that go round the hub and even road force balanced them.

Bizarrely, the problem comes and goes (about same speed range you said). My current theory is the TPMS is sliding around the wheel making the balance go in and out as it moves away from the position opposite the group of weights required to balance it. (this theory was spawned because one of the TPMS bands came completely uncoupled, clattering around inside the tire - I have simply removed that one (and now have the annoying fault light on the dash).

Any thoughts out there? BTW: the dealer has refused to keep working with me on this problem which really sucks on a car that I love and i less than a year old but has this stupid vibration coming and going.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:21 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fasterplease
Did you ever fix this? I have been fighting the same problem since the day I bought the car (dealer had fitted aftermarket wheels). They have changed the tires, balanced them 3 times, replaced the spacers that go round the hub and even road force balanced them.

Bizarrely, the problem comes and goes (about same speed range you said). My current theory is the TPMS is sliding around the wheel making the balance go in and out as it moves away from the position opposite the group of weights required to balance it. (this theory was spawned because one of the TPMS bands came completely uncoupled, clattering around inside the tire - I have simply removed that one (and now have the annoying fault light on the dash).

Any thoughts out there? BTW: the dealer has refused to keep working with me on this problem which really sucks on a car that I love and i less than a year old but has this stupid vibration coming and going.
Old thread, but my money says you forgot to remove the little snap rings around some of the lugs that are used to keep the rotors in palce during the build. If you don't remove them you will get wheel vibration. All you need is pliers and rip them off, each wheel may have one or more or possibly none, remove all of them. they look like this:
Attached Thumbnails Still trying to fix a vibration in the wheel-removethese.jpg  

Last edited by ShaneM; 06-08-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:18 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I did finally get it fixed with a Road Force balancer. It took a long time. I did have the clips removed. Even after that there is still a minor tremor in the wheel at around 55mph. One of the TPMS sensors that was mounted by Cruzin Concepts does not work (never did) so I'm not sure if that's causing the problem. I'm actually taking it to the dealer on Friday to see if I can get this taken care of. I'll let you know if it was loose and causing a vibration.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:28 PM
David_Noxfroid
1st Gear Member

Did You try to remove that plastic thing and snap rings like this?

to this

i read same trouble before in this forum , i remembered (shanem already mentioned )
Old 06-08-2010, 03:42 PM
RedfireV8
1st Gear Member

Same boat. Had them balanced twice and then Road Force balanced and still the same problem. I also had the rings removed from the rotors from a previous brake job as well as installed the hub centric rings. After 2 weeks I finally gave up and returned them. After many theories, I think the vibration was caused by too small of a hub fit. The correct hub wheel size is 5x114.3 while the aftermarket wheels I bought were 5x100. I think this was my culprit. Sure they fit great with the hub rings. Yea, the were balanced perfectly 3 times but they just would never be right since the center hub bore was smaller than stock. Here's my thread on them, start at post #15:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...els-put-2.html

and my thread on this forum:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ew-wheels.html
Old 06-10-2010, 08:21 AM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I had removed the snap rings early on (after reading older posts), I also ensured the wheel spacers are installed properly (required on these American Racing wheels because they are a bit oversized at the hub), had the wheels balanced multiple times and road force balanced. Still the vibration comes and goes in the approximately 60mph range.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:51 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by blackout
You need hub centric rings to make sure that the wheels are completely centered on the hub. Even if you properly torque the lug nuts in the proper pattern the wheels can still be slightly off causing a vibration at higher speeds.

-Jeff
+1 thats the problem.

Follow the S197 Workshop manual for TPMS system troublshooting procedures...