Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0 Coyote Transplant Looks Quite Possible

Old 01-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

Default 5.0 Coyote Transplant Looks Quite Possible

What does everyone think about transplanting a 5.0 Coyote into one of our 05-10 S197's? I have seen some pics of the underbelly of the new 2011 and the whole layout as far as dimensions looks identical. It seems like it would be nothing more than getting your hands on a new 5.0, PCM and trans, which would of course be pricey, but then I'd bet the whole darn thing would essentially just bolt in. I read an article on the Coyote in 5.0 Magazine and it seems a lot more bulletproof than I thought it to be initially. What do you guys think?
Old 01-20-2010, 10:53 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

How hard do you think it would be to transplant a Mustang motor into another similarly bodied Mustang.
There'll be a simple list of parts to do the job, no cutting, welding or anything I imagine.
Only thing is going to be the cost. A smashed 2011 is going to tear you a new one at the junk yard and will do for the next two years.

I can't see why anybody would go to real expense to do it anyway, sure it's a nice looking lump of metal but unless you find one lying on the side of the road abandoned it's really not worth it.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

I know I'm thinking 6K+ just for the power train for the forseeable future, maybe more.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

The only plus sides of the transplant would be able to say I have a 5.0 and a 6 speed manual. Just put a supercharger on the 4.6 and call it a day
Old 01-20-2010, 11:37 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

There actually would be a few plus sides in my mind.

1) Better MPG than the 4.6L

2) Lower emissions than the 4.6L (due to many things, one being a cleaner burn due to high compression)

3) 400+ HP N/A meaning A LOT less chance of sending a rod through the block. Even at low boost on a 4.6L making the 5.0 power there's a chance, and many have done it, of blowing the engine to pieces. That won't happen with the 5.0 stock. Ever.

4) Likely more potential than the 4.6L due to more cubes, 4 valve heads, valve train built to spin to the moon, and higher compression good for those wanting to have a lot of power N/A. Even if you rebuilt the engine to have lower compression for more boost, you automatically have the better heads/valve train plus more cubes which would be extra cost to match on a 4.6L.

But, I personally would not do an engine swap (I'd lose my hot rods! I don't want that!!) but instead just buy a new GT as a second car. I also am not interested in trading in for many reasons.

Also, I'd rather have the 6060 trans than the new trans. The gear ratios of the new trans are weird and I know the 6060 is rather strong.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:44 AM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

I'm wondering if you can just swap the 5 speed for the 6 speed tranny with no problems? Anyone know if it will be possible?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:48 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Swapping in the 6 speed auto may prove challenging, but putting in the 6 speed manual should work no problem. Many have put the 6060 in their GT and V6.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

I wasn't really that interested in the 5.0 until I read the big article about it. I don't think many will be doing this in the next couple years, however, I really think it could be a very popular mod in the future when prices come down. The allure of having 400 N/A at the crank and potentially ~350RWHP on a stock engine is nice. I wonder what a good tune could bump that up to?(Not sure if there will be a lot of head room).

Sirknight - I bet you there will be Hot Rods for the 5.0 in the future considering how popular they have become for the 3v, but they will be a lot more expensive I bet since you will have to buy 4 sticks instead of 2. Also I'm with you on all those plus sides!!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:08 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

sure it can be done.....it will cost a ton of money too!

you need engine plus other supporting components in the engine bay, tranny possibly, dont forget the CPU will also need replacing.

It can be done but you will spend more money than the car will be worth in the end probably
Old 01-20-2010, 01:29 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i would rather swap to a built 4.6 probly a FRPP aluminator when the time comes for me, and up the boost.
the new 5.0 engines are not built to handle a lot of hp
makes more sense to get a stroker 3v.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.0 Coyote Transplant Looks Quite Possible