Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long tube header recommendations please:

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:19 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Default Long tube header recommendations please:

Well my last non F/I mod is going to be headers. I want my Hot Rod Cams to be all they can be so I'm going to be purchasing some headers. I would REALLY like some responses from those that have installed them. As a full time ambulance mechanic there are those days I get frustrated enough. So what tops my wish list on a long tube header is in the following order:

* The ease of install and quality fit (a bitch anyways I know but some are worse than others)
* No leaks
* Reasonably priced
* Have all the standard o2 ports as I am in an emissions county
* A header where I can easily swap between non catted and catted H or X pipes for emissions test day.

Again as always thanks for the advice.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Kooks and ARH are the most expensive and have the best fitment.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:55 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

i say go with Macs. Everyone who owns them love them, perfect fitment, install is is going to ba about the same for all Long tubes. Mac proven to gain more or equal hp to Kooks and ARH, which are almost twice the price. Same design as Kooks, meaning its not a real "longtube" setup, but more like a mid.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I see brenspeed has BBK and MAC headers but there doesn't seem to be a way to add a high flow catted H. An X is the only option. Lame. And in the case of the BBK adding a catted X adds $380. :/
Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Brenspeed is recommending Pypes headers believe it or not. They sell Kooks too. I was leaning towards Kooks but since the Pypes are copies and much less I'm leaning that way. I just don't want fitment nightmares.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:43 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I think they said pypes because you have price as a factor....if it wasnt them kooks and ARH cant be beat....top 2 out there IMO
Old 01-21-2010, 12:17 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I have Kooks and love them. Expensive yes, but fit perfect and no issues rubbing, leaking, or anything bad. I'll surely go with Kooks again on my next car.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:28 PM
lundis
1st Gear Member

kooks makes the most power. ive seen it time and time again. if you find a master dealer usually they can install it for you for around the same price you can get them for online...which is exactly what i did.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

If fitment is an issue and you just want to install it and not have to **** with it... Get the Kooks or ARH. Others have installed BBK and Macs, etc. with no problems but I've also read of people who didn't have such good luck with the cheaper ones. It's a crap shoot.

Kooks or ARH. Only way to be sure.
You'll pay for it though. $1200+ for headers is absolutely disgusting.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:56 PM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Well after a couple calls and conversations with Brenspeed I'm probably going to go with the Pypes headers. Chandler over there has a set on his car and likes them. He says since they've been out they've probably installed over 30 sets with no issues related to clearance. He said they are basically Kooks copies. The complete Pypes setup with O/R H, hardware, gaskets and extensions is 679.00 shipped. I personally can't see spending double that for a Kooks header. I've bought all my performance stuff from Brenspeed and they have yet to mislead me. I think for 679.00 they are worth a try.

I'm certainly not dissing the Kooks fans and thanks to everyone for chiming in. I'm just on an ever shrinking "fun" budget these days.

Quick Reply: Long tube header recommendations please: