Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Capless fuel tank problem -- ugly water streaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:18 PM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xibar
Haha... wouldn't exactly call a napkin corner a "remedy."
That's intended to be a VERY temporary fix.

In all seriousness, I had been thinking of a slightly better fix...

I was going to glue a small button magnet to the back of a small sponge, and stick it to the inside bottom of the door.

Hell, if it does a good job, I may license it to Ford to add as a Premium Option... just have to think of a name for it.

Capless fuel filler, with optional NotAsCrappyLookingWhenItRains Water Absorption System.

Eh, I'll keep working on that one.
Did there not used to be a similar Birth control device?
Old 02-03-2010, 10:27 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xibar
(shouldn't it be going IN, not OUT?)
That's what she said!
Sorry, just couldn't resist. Please don't post lines like that. They drive me crazy with all sorts of jokes running through my head.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:30 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

I'm pretty sure the tube that runs down from that drain hole is corrugated. It probably holds water which is then forced back out when driving.

I always dry then wax after a wash. I've never had streaks from the gas cap area.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:04 PM
GT_n00b
1st Gear Member

I noticed this too and it has been driving me nuts.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:23 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

my question is when are they going to make a damn good looking billet looking locking door for a 2010, as with my caddy, no locking cap but is gas theft proof on both cars, but you can still pour crap down, even like this but locking. actually they sell this online for 19.95 at http://www.mustangdepot.com/olc3/Exterior/trim.htm

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 02-04-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Yea, that little "cave" is what appears to let the water out. I've tried drying around the entire outer fuel bay area repeatedly, and still I can see water slowly filling from that little hole. It would be great if I could pull out the plastic piece around the fuel filler hole and see where that hole comes from/leads to.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:17 AM
GT_n00b
1st Gear Member

So annoying...

Old 02-05-2010, 11:51 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

A ring of rubber would not be a fix.

You do not want to trap moisure in, it may promote rust.

The Stunge would also trap/hold moisture, although I refuel so often, I'm not so sure it would be a problem....

A proper drainage system is the answer.

I too have the ugly water streak problem, but I have noticed this on many other cars.

That's all I got...
Old 02-05-2010, 01:24 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

When I wash I get the leaf blower out everytime and blow until no more runs out, I seem to not have a issue even after a rain, it's only after washing, I've never seen a streak, as I said wish they hurry and make a nicer door and if door locked better, I don' worry about gas being taken out I don't want anything poured in there like the old school punks used to do with sugar.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTjoe49
A proper drainage system is the answer.

I too have the ugly water streak problem, but I have noticed this on many other cars.
I agree that the real fix as a good drainage system. It's kind of my reason for starting this thread... 1. to see if my car has an unusual but annoying issue that no one else is seeing, and 2. if one of the car guys on here are more familiar with the innards of this machine than I do.

If someone out there happened to have opened that area up for whatever reason, maybe they'd know what it really looks like under there.

The Ford guys tell me it's to drain water out... so it's obviously intended for water drainage. Still, it seems like it wasn't planned out correctly.

My other thought, to get a little more science-y, is that it could be a Bernoullie's Principle kind of thing. Is it possible that Ford engineers didn't account for the rapid air movement over that part of the car, and that it could lower the air pressure, and actually "suck" the air in the drain system back out?

Am I thinking too much about this?
Should I just shrug this off and let it go?

Quick Reply: Capless fuel tank problem -- ugly water streaks