Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank you FordEngineer!!!! SYNC and NAV Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10GTSTANG
Did you run the cable out of the console, so you could close it? I use the mini plug aux in with my Fuze so I can listen to Audio Books. I have to leave the console upen to acess the controls on the fuze, if the phone rings and I have to pause it or what ever.
No, I just leave the flash drive sitting in the bottom of the console. No need for it to be anywhere else since the only time I remove it is to put new songs on it or update Sync. I have seen some flat USB cables out there that should work well for this purpose though.
http://www.amazon.com/1-2M-Flat-Cabl.../dp/B001NXDQ9A (the color on this is aweful but it's an idea of what I'm talking about).
Old 02-06-2010, 12:43 PM
gmlgmlgml

I use a 16 gb Ipod Nano with flash drive in the bottom of the console. With a leather pouch to protect from scratches.

With the Electronics Package, utilize Mustang's internal 20 gb drive for other genre of songs. The Electronics Package incorporates an MP3 ripper as well.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:26 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
I have a question regarding iPod connectivity. I will put my iPod into a particular Genre using the SYNC controls. Then I will ask it to shuffle. The system will show it is shuffling from a total of say 1325 songs (actual number is unimportant). It is all going swimmingly - UNTIL - I shut off the car, run into the store or get gas or whatever, then when I turn the car back on, it is now shuffling only the 16 songs which are on the last album it was playing. It somehow forgets about the entire Genre and only uses the songs from the album that was playing when I shut the car off. This means that I have to go back through the steps of telling it to look at the entire Genre again.

Why does this happen and is there a way to correct it?

Thanks!
Hrm... it shouldn't do this, regardless of what your previous command was. Do you have the latest version of SYNC installed and running (from SyncMyRide.com)? If not, what version of SYNC do you have? (with the car parked, it's in the Menu under 'Advanced' settings). Also, do you have NAV or not-Nav?

Originally Posted by Lax07
I have a question regarding a new commercial ford put out... It was a fusion commercial... It talked about a command like, Play similar tracks, and it creates a playlist of similar music for you. I was wondering if this is available on the 2010 Mustang with Nav and sync?
I think we got you squared away in this thread. All good on that front?

Originally Posted by GTjoe49
I bought my Mustang off the lot. I had no intention of getting Nav, I was more interested in performance options (actually I was looking for one with a glass roof). After a test drive and a pile of incentives, I purchaced this car with SYNC and NAV.

I must say, I am really glad I did. I have 6K on the car and the electronics package really is a joy.

Best features:
-Hands free bluetooth
-On Board Hard Drive (Jukebox)
-USB connectivity for MP3 players and HD (Creative Zen & WD Passport)
-Backup Camera (At first a novelty, but rapidly turned into a necessity, makes parking extreamly easy!).
-Sirius Info for traffic and weather intergrated with Nav. (love the gas price feature)
-Easy to use NAV

Could Improve (nitpicking):
-USB port locations (one in the glovebox and one near the "sync" badge on the console would be nice).
-A more noticeable clock, like an option to replace the sound graph/climate info with a larger clock display. (a lot of first time passengers ask where the clock is).
-An opening for usb/line in cable between the cupholder and the rear console bin so the MP3 player is handy when plugged in.

All in all, the SYNC/NAV system is a real enhancement to owning a Mustang and I would reccommend to anyone buying one to concider it.

Good job FordEngineer! Job 1 well done.
Thanks for the feedback. Especially on the ease-of-use bit. That's one of my main responsibilities. As for your concerns, I'll take them back with me, but a few reasons for why things may be as they are:

1.) Regarding USB port location, we don't want you reaching over to the glovebox if at all possible. It's not ergonomic, and if you're driving, it's really not a good idea. If you want to hide your MP3 player, most ports (Mustang included) are in the center console, which closes and is lockable.

2.) Clock suggestion is good. Taking it back to the team.

3.) Some vehicles have this, but the way the mustang console is (latch on front face) makes it difficult. In addition, the interface on some MP3 players lets us lock it out while the vehicle is controlling it (this is done on purpose to keep users from fiddling with it while they're driving--it helps us meet government regulations). As you can imagine, the government has been keeping a VERY close eye on us (as the in-vehicle infotainment leader) after the whole NHTSA 'lost driver distraction report' incident. I can feel them breathing on my neck... Do not like.

Originally Posted by Napoleon85
@GTjoe49
I used a 3" USB extension cable in my center console to plug my USB flash drive into and it freed up a ton of space and greatly reduced the likelyhood of breaking the USB port or flash drive from tossing something else in there. Ford, IMO, should throw one of these in with every new Mustang. It also would be nice if there were a USB port/cable hanging out in the glove box where it would be a lot more convenient to store a USB thumb drive long term. I can't be the only one that bought a large, fast thumb drive just for use in the car, can I?
Idea forwarded to marketing. Will keep you posted on what they say. There's no money in the vehicle program budget for this (we try to find ways to eliminate cost, even a dollar or two, if we can). But marketing has $$$. They'll even mail out free USB thumb drives (pre-loaded with the latest version of SYNC) to SYNC owners on occasion. Make sure your address is registered on SyncMyRide.com to make sure you get the swag and software they send out from time to time.

Originally Posted by kierankelly
I'm glad this thread came up. I'm very interested in knowing all the cool little things that can be done with Sync/Nav. I ordered the Electronics Package on my 2011 and I can't wait to actually play with it.

Reading through this already, I realized something I didn't know. There's a USB in the glove box? So I could just put my iPod in there and leave it there and it would be good to go? If so, that's awesome.
Well, the SYNC module lives above your glovebox, and there IS a second (un-used) USB port on the module (uses a Micro-USB connector at the module, but I digress). You may want to follow this post for more information on tapping into that. But see my response (2 up from here) about why we may not provide a port there.

Originally Posted by dconfer
thanks fordengineer again for trackiing my car last year.
No prob.

Originally Posted by Xcelsius
After I got my Iphone I had an extra Ipod touch. So I leave that hooked up in the center console compartment all the time. Its been in there without leaving since last summer. I really should pull it out to sync it with my new songs...

but there is other USB connections too. There should be connections on the SYNC module that is located somewhere behind of near the actual glovebox. The one works fine for me, but if you wanted more I am sure you could rig a USB hub to the SYNC module and have it all stealthy.
Like I mentioned above, you might want to see this thread regarding the second USB port on the SYNC module. Also, the last time I checked, SYNC didn't like USB hubs.

Feel free to follow up if I didn't answer your question to your liking.

And sorry for the time it took to get back to this thread!
Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 PM
kierankelly
1st Gear Member

Just wanted to say thanks for answering all of these questions FordEngineer. It is really cool and interesting to have someone with so much knowledge about Sync.

Reading threads like this is keeping my mind off of how long it's going to take for me to get my 2011 GT.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:50 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Hey FordEngineer..... Quick question for ya..... I have the Shaker 500/Sync in my 2010. It looks like there won't be any aftermarket options for me regarding Nav for at least another month, and how that will really work is still up in the air. Is it possible for me to add the Factory Nav at the dealer, meaning can they replace my Shaker 500 with the factory Nav/Sync option? I was told by my dealer that it has to be built into the car from the factory during production. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If adding the factory Nav/Sync is an option, I will definitely go that route. So, is my dealer full of crap or are they correct? Thanks.

Oh, and the question someone had about USB hubs.... I've tried several different hubs and none of them worked. It actually came up on my screen and something like "USB hubs not supported" or something along those lines.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:52 PM
StevenW81

Quick question that I think anybody with the Electronics Package can answer.

When I rip my CDs to the internal hard drive, will it create the tags for the MP3 automatically, or will I need to enter the information myself? Also, will the system recognize voice commands to play albums off of the hard drive?

I haven't purchased my Mustang yet, and every time I talk to the deal I forget to ask these questions.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:44 AM
wgift46

Default Nav System and SYNC

Hi. I own a 2010 Mercury Mariner. I’m here on the Mustang site because it is the only place than seems to have any reasonable discussion on Snyc and the Nav System. Few here wine about the short comings (and there are few) and that I find refreshing and informative.
FordEngineer had a fantastic post on the verbal commands of SYNC, which I found very informative. I’m waiting (and encouraging) his post on the verbal commands of the Nav System. I have been using some of the “hidden” commands, such as Find gas or Find coffee, and find it amazing that the Nav system does in fact find them.
What I have learned in the past two weeks (since I took delivery) is that you have to talk to the vehicle and it will respond.
One question I have is: Do you need to update Sync if you have the Nav system? I have read some horror stories about crashes and having to go through a reset after trying to update Sync. From the Sync forum it appears that the only thing I can take advantage of is the Vehicle Health Report. All the other functions are covered in the Nav system and Travel Link.
I hope the group doesn’t throw me out because I don’t own a Mustang. You have to understand that I have been a GM man my whole life, but I have lost confidence in GM and Ford seems to have their act together.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

I have a question about the hard drive in the sync system. Is it replaceable? Can you substitute a larger hard drive? Frankly, in the era of 1-2Tb hard drives, a 10Gb drive is kind of like a 64Mb SIMM RAM stick - it will get filled quickly. What kind of drive is it? 3.5"? 2.5"? SSD? SATA? I have just ordered an '11 GT and the Sync system is probably what I am going to be, uh, messing with first (being a computer geek and all). And yeah, it's my first post, but I'm an old hand at forums in general...

Edit: Mighta kinda came off like a dick there, sorry about that. Not much sleep to be had in iraq. FWIW, FordEngineer, I have been devouring your posts on... well, everything you post about and it is all very, very interesting!

Last edited by hawkeye18; 02-16-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 AM
jasezero
2nd Gear Member

Quick question...and I know a friend who has a similar issue with Sync as well...

Is there any way to turn down the ringer volume when a call comes in...its RIDICULOUSLY loud...makes my friend's wife jump everytime she's driving her car...
Old 06-16-2010, 02:11 PM
josh34
1st Gear Member

if i leave my usb flash drive plugged into the center consule, the little light stays on......wouldnt this mean its drawing power all the time?

my 2010 is not a DD so i would hate to kill the battery over something stupid like that, but i would love to keep my flash drive plugged in all the time.

lemme know

Quick Reply: Thank you FordEngineer!!!! SYNC and NAV Thread